Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to purchase a condo or townhouse in a decent area close to golf and other amenities in Pheonix. I am from Canada and know little about the areas for showbirds but think North Glendale is good ,don't think I can afford Scottsdale and thats about it.
I have considered Gilbert but it seems more like a good family area not a retirement place.
Can someone help me start looking in the right place. Employment isn't an issue as I will not be working but would like to make a smart investment. Maybe I should look for a house as there seems to be more available and at good prices right now but maybe that carries over to the condos and townhouses as well.
What would I pay in Scottsdale as opposed to North Glendale.
Does anyone have any other good areas to suggest. I want to avoid any bad neighbourhoods and be close to golf,restaurants,shopping. I don't really care how far I am from city center. Let me know what you think.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 03:40 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,575,155 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any other good areas to suggest. I want to avoid any bad neighbourhoods and be close to golf,restaurants,shopping.
Check

Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand, and Surprise.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:32 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,912,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert55 View Post
Hi, I am looking to purchase a condo or townhouse in a decent area close to golf and other amenities in Pheonix. I am from Canada and know little about the areas for showbirds but think North Glendale is good ,don't think I can afford Scottsdale and thats about it.
I have considered Gilbert but it seems more like a good family area not a retirement place.
Can someone help me start looking in the right place. Employment isn't an issue as I will not be working but would like to make a smart investment. Maybe I should look for a house as there seems to be more available and at good prices right now but maybe that carries over to the condos and townhouses as well.
What would I pay in Scottsdale as opposed to North Glendale.
Does anyone have any other good areas to suggest. I want to avoid any bad neighbourhoods and be close to golf,restaurants,shopping. I don't really care how far I am from city center. Let me know what you think.

Check out Trilogy at Vistancia. I'm sure you are looking at half the price of North Scottsdale.

http://www.trilogylife.com/main.cfm?dir=findahome&sec=none&subsec=overview&te mp=communityoverview&communityid=5 (broken link)

Old 12-22-2007, 05:13 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,729,338 times
Sun Lakes in South Chandler is a large retirement community with golf courses and many more amenities. It's also close to things outside the community.

Bill

Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 PM

919 posts, read 3,384,282 times
Default Oh Canada

Don't count out Scottsdale just because it sounds pricey - there's a variety of places in all sorts of price ranges. My friend just bought a house in the same zip as Old Town (85251) for just under 300K. It's a 1960's ranch, so a bit smaller than later model homes up north, but was owned by a craftsman and has incredible tile, woodwork and other details throughout. She's got 3 bedrooms, a pool, garage and she's less than a mile to the current epicenter of high end development where much smaller places are 3 times the price.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,729,338 times
This is what I understand Robert wants:
  • Near golf and other amenities
  • Not in a family oriented area
  • In or near a retirement community
  • Reasonable distance to the city
Recently, a snowbird Canadian (Vancouver) client of mine bought a home on the lake in Val Vista Lakes. He wanted to be on the water in a mixed age community, and is not a golfer. This was perfect for him.

Here's what I initially see for Robert:

Sun City West has golf and other amenities. It is virtually self contained. It is farther from the city.

Sun City is closer but would not be my first choice because the area amenities are not as plentiful as my first choice.

Sun Lakes in south Chandler would be my first choice going by what Robert has stated. He would need to visit both areas to make his own decision.

Sun Lakes is a retirement community
It has plenty of golf and other amenities
It has lakes (not for boating)
It is close to plenty of shopping. There are a lot of nice stores and restaurants going up on Alma School at the corner of the Fulton Ranch area; in addition to everything that is already there.
It is only about 7 mi to the Chandler Fashion Mall
About 14 miles to the Mesa Arts Center and the Tempe ASU Grammage
And a little farther to down town Phoenix
There is a wide price range of homes available in Sun Lakes

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area