Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times

Advertisements

cntrygrl-- what is it you don't like about Albuquerque? I ask, because Phoenix is a very, very similar city to Albuquerque, only that it happens to be about 5 times bigger. Meaning-- instead of 3 Bestbuys, 10 McD's, and 100 Circle K's, you have 15 Bestbuys, 50 McD's, and 500 Circle K's. It's not really that much more of a "higher order" city. Yeah, there's professional sports teams-- but that's about it. It's pretty much the same stuff ABQ has, just more of it. If you don't like Albquerque, chances are you won't like Phoenix-- or any town within a 1.5 hour radius of Phoenix either. Perhaps you should look at Las Cruces, NM? That will get you a warm climate and a smaller city.

Personally, I LOVE Albuquerque and the state of New Mexico! I'm from Denver, so for me, ABQ has just about the perfect climate-- warmer than Denver, and with some snow, but not hotter than hell like Phoenix. If I had a job opportunity in ABQ, I would seriously consider it. I understand that each person has different needs and wants, though.

BTW, go Lobos! You guys blew the wolf pack away yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM

128 posts, read 172,789 times
I think one has to understand that the suburbs of Phoenix are big cities, that hold many neighborhoods. I find that many times you can go from one location to another INSIDE the community that is amongst dozens that are INSIDE the whole city, and have very little problems. The area has many beautiful master planned communities that are close to everything one would need, including dental offices. Congestion as a whole may be bad in one city, but with each subdivsion it doesn't seem to be all that bad. Some of the farther burbs have roads that resemble the prior times of the town, and not the current state. As a result you see more congestion. Cities like Tempe, Mesa, and Glendale have much better roads that can accomodate larger bodies of traffic. Not the mention the new light rail, which is coming to the suburbs closer to Phoenix, which will no doubt aid in bad traffic patterns.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:56 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,684 times
cntrygrl, Camp Verde is a very small town that is more of a stopping point for people traveling on I-17. My guess is you more likely than not would end up in the nearby city/town of Cottonwood. It is only a few miles on the other side of I-17 from Camp Verde. These towns are pushing your 1 1/2 hour window from Phoenix and could be slightly outside it depending on traffic. If you are looking at these towns you might as well check out Sedona. Although it would be more expensive to live there it is in a beautiful area of Az. Another town to check out right at the 1 1/2 hour point would be Prescott Valley. The town is growing and still has a rural feel.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:20 AM

11 posts, read 47,060 times
Vegas- my reasons for not liking Alb are just mine. I'm not saying it's a bad city. I just don't care for it. And most of the people that live here don't like it either. It's a different world from living in and around Alb from just visiting. We get the news from Alb and there isn't a night that goes by that there isn't a drive-by shooting or someone is murdered. Does this happen in Phoenix or Denver too- probably, but for the size of Alb they have a tremendous amount of crime. Also, for the size they really don't have that much to do as far as recreation. We would like to be able to attend a pro sports game if we wanted to. There are alot of areas of Alb that are nice, and as I told my DH I would consider Rio Rancho, but alot of Alb is dirty and run down.
As far as Las Cruces, how would that get me closer to a big city. Cruces is basically another Farmington, but with more culture. Not bashing LC, but I know the city and it definately isn't what were looking for.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate where we live, we do have alot to be thankful for here. Yes,we do have great weather, and were close to Alb, close to Durango. Haven't you ever wanted to get away from where you grew up and see what else is out there? Maybe AZ wouldn't be the right choice for us, maybe staying right here would be the right choice, but that's why I am here asking questions. I came on here to find out about Az towns, there isn't anything wrong with inquiring.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:40 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrygrl View Post
Vegas- my reasons for not liking Alb are just mine. I'm not saying it's a bad city. I just don't care for it. And most of the people that live here don't like it either. It's a different world from living in and around Alb from just visiting. We get the news from Alb and there isn't a night that goes by that there isn't a drive-by shooting or someone is murdered. Does this happen in Phoenix or Denver too- probably, but for the size of Alb they have a tremendous amount of crime. Also, for the size they really don't have that much to do as far as recreation. We would like to be able to attend a pro sports game if we wanted to. There are alot of areas of Alb that are nice, and as I told my DH I would consider Rio Rancho, but alot of Alb is dirty and run down.
There are a lot of people with this same opinion about Phx.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 AM

611 posts, read 2,308,080 times
Quote:
I guess we were hoping to find a town, close to phoenix, that is more rural, but still w/ neighborhoods, and not too pricey, meaning that you could buy a house for around 200-230. We have two children who will be 11. I appreciate any comments or suggestion anyone might have. Oh, by the way, were from NM and we know how hot it gets there. Were prepared for that. I guess were probably looking for what everyother middle class family with children is looking for, anyway. Thanks
Happy New Year! With all the replies, I'm really surprised that no one suggested Wickenburg because it was the first small town that came to my mind as I read your post. I know your thread title says suburbs of Phoenix, but your first post mentions that you really want a great small town close to Phoenix as well as your "wish list criteria". In my opinion, Wickenburg fits exactly what you're looking for. Best wishes!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,742 times
cntrygrl said in her first post that she needs a town with houses in the low 200000's. That pretty much would delete Wickenburg from the list.

We looked there last fall and were surprised at the high prices of homes. I thought that being so far out of Phoenix would be much cheaper. No way!

I would like to find a small town in AZ too, but have given up on that idea. Seems like the small ones are almost ghost towns. The smaller towns around Phoenix like Maricopa and Queen Creek have their own hassles such as traffic congestion and lack of stores and other infrastructure.

There are plenty of small towns in Oklahoma and Kansas if you like those places.

altus2006

Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
Anthem? Verrado? Not sure about the ability to find a job as a cop in either town (Verrado might be easier with Buckeye), but I would consider both to have small town flavor within striking distance of Phx.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,719 times
Quote:
I know there are numerous posts about different parts of phoenix, but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question about the Phoenix area. My husband and I were looking for a suburb of Phoenix (even if it's out an hour to an hour and a half) That is pretty self sufficient. Meaning, there own police department (my hubby's an officer), plenty of shopping, but yet not real congested. We were there a couple of years ago and looked at Gilbert and Chandler and they both felt very congested and hectic. I guess we were hoping to find a town, close to phoenix, that is more rural, but still w/ neighborhoods, and not too pricey, meaning that you could buy a house for around 200-230. We have two children who will be 11. I appreciate any comments or suggestion anyone might have. Oh, by the way, were from NM and we know how hot it gets there. Were prepared for that. I guess were probably looking for what everyother middle class family with children is looking for, anyway. Thanks
Look out to the north east. Scottsdale, where we are is comfortable. Look at a Phoenix road map or go into Google Earth and ask it to show you Scottsdale. Go east to look at Fountain Hills - a lovely place, or north to Carefree, also good. The advantage of these quoted areas is that they are semi-rural and because they are at higher elevations, there is not the same nasty level of air pollution as there is in Phoenix, and we are well distant from the airports. Shopping? Plenty. Restaurants? Good selection throughout the area. Churches? Everything from Greek Orthodix to Glass and Garden. Ask Google about that! Michael

Old 01-11-2008, 02:20 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,742 times
Again, cntrygrl needs a house in the low 200,000's. Scottsdale and Fountain Hills are not going to work for her as they are among the most expensive places in the state..

alt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area