Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:03 PM

269 posts, read 534,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Tell me which service it is that you guys subscribe to that tells you which inspector is good?

I have dealt with a few dozen over the years and can tell you which ones I prefer and why that is. And you?

I have had something like 150 homes inspected. Attended each and read the report. And I am an electrical engineer by training and experience. And You?

Probably the only chance this individual has of finding a strong inspector is their RE Agent and the scarey thing is I suspect she does not have one of her own.
I wasn't the poster you asked the question of, but agree with him/her. I would not use an inspector recommended by RE agent. They want deal to go through and not be stopped. I would only use an inspector with PE after their name personally. Most others got their "certification" from a crackerjack box.

To the OP, have you received the owner's disclosure? What does it say? Were there permits pulled?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger427 View Post
I wasn't the poster you asked the question of, but agree with him/her. I would not use an inspector recommended by RE agent. They want deal to go through and not be stopped. I would only use an inspector with PE after their name personally. Most others got their "certification" from a crackerjack box.

To the OP, have you received the owner's disclosure? What does it say? Were there permits pulled?
If you read my original suggestion it was to go to an engineer rather than an inspector on such a house. So we agree that far. However I suspect I know more about which PEs do a good job and in which field than any civilian. So again you may be better off going with the RE Agents choice.

If you don't pretty well trust your RE Agent you got the wrong one.

NO particular reason permits would be mentioned in a seller disclosure. Much more likely to come up under questions by an Inspector. YOu have to disclose problems not things fixed or done to the house. The classical call out is a substantial defect.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
If you read my original suggestion it was to go to an engineer rather than an inspector on such a house. So we agree that far. However I suspect I know more about which PEs do a good job and in which field than any civilian. So again you may be better off going with the RE Agents choice.

If you don't pretty well trust your RE Agent you got the wrong one.

NO particular reason permits would be mentioned in a seller disclosure. Much more likely to come up under questions by an Inspector. YOu have to disclose problems not things fixed or done to the house. The classical call out is a substantial defect.
So the whole point of your posts is that you know more than anyone else?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
So the whole point of your posts is that you know more than anyone else?
That would not be true. There are any number of people who know more about specific things then I do.

I am however reasonably knowledgeable at what I do and will point out when people with a lack of knowledge and a bias try to screw up some poor buyer or seller who has enough problems.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM

397 posts, read 659,396 times
I'd go with your gut feeling, remember there are things you can change and others you can't. A poor school is a big negative if you have kids, getting into alternate nearby schools can be difficult. It's a big decision and one you will be forced to live with for many years so take the time and make sure you'll be truly happy there. Have you looked at many other houses or did you jump on this one quickly? Since you still have a lease and don't have anything forcing you to move right away you should keep looking and maybe you'll find something you love even more.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
That would not be true. There are any number of people who know more about specific things then I do.

I am however reasonably knowledgeable at what I do and will point out when people with a lack of knowledge and a bias try to screw up some poor buyer or seller who has enough problems.
I guess I missed the biased post where someone tried to screw someone else. I still can't find it.

I still don't know what your point is other than you're knowledgable. Use an inspector? Don't use an inspector? Hire an engineer? Use the Realtors referral? Don't? No clue.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Walk. You will find another house. It is easier to fall in love again than it is to get out of a bad relationship.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:30 PM

47 posts, read 126,411 times
"What would you do? I love the house, I love the layout, it's at my maxium budget and I am using our whole life savings for the down payment.."

This.

Just my 2 cents, but I would never buy anything at my maximum budget and spend my whole life savings. You have absolutely no cushion if anything goes wrong in your life. I can see why you are nervous and worried. Trust your gut.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:57 PM

240 posts, read 348,130 times
Thank you all for all of your honest opionions, this has been more stressful than anything, back in PA, we only looke at the houses one time and bought them, but of course they were super cheap and we didnt hesitate, we made bad decisions when we were younger and now that we are in our late 30's we want to be very smart buying our possibly last house.

The real estate agent scheduled her inspector, she didn't even ask me if I want to find one, she just said she can get her guy in there Tuesday at 8, that happened yesterday morning and then we weren't even allowed to go until 9:30 because the seller has a baby and didn't want us there until then. That raised a little red flag for me. We got there and the inspector went over everything VERY detailed but most things he pointed out aren't major (some outlets need changed, a few wires in breaker box need capped off, driveway has some cracking, attic entry needs a fireproof material, door in garage going in house needs self closer, pool has tiles cracking in a few places, pool motor needs grounded, pool filter is leaking needs new seal, aerator valve is leaking, no exahust fan in downstairs bathroom. We saw NO light in the downstairs bedroom or the family room, we would need to plug a lamp in or use the natural light.

The fact that they may be hiding a crooked cabinet after putting granite on top of the original cabinets that they painted bothers me. The cabinets in pictures look like they are brand new but they are the originals just painted white with not enough paint in my opinoino. The house looks SO nice when you first walk in, and it is nice, but the 4th time visiting, it was a little more dirty on floors, and doors, almost like now that they have our offer they didn't want to clean up.

I have an appointment there tomorrow with a pool guy coming to look at the pool, if my gut still feels like this with all the stuff I have found out today on my own, I think we might have to tell them we found too much stuff during inspection that needs addressed and I feel like it's not worth it. I am only out my inspection fee. The windows are original but I can't remember if they are double pane, I know that's terrible, I even called inspector and he did not remember, he even seemed like he didn't want to talk to me today, I feel like he was buddies with her and I am being swindled. I definatly dont trust her by the way she acts, today I had to get stern and say I am going to call a pool person myself, she kept saying to call one of her two and she would also call for an estimate.

My kids are 16 and 18, so my son will be still going to Corona, I will drive him. My other son is going to college.

I admit we love the finishes that have been done to the house, lots of upgrades but the more I type this, the upgrades are the cheap stuff, it should have been windows also.

I will know tomorrow after the pool guy gives his opionion I also want to ask about the cabinets, should I just ask to go in and move the plant they have on top of the fridge?

I love this area it's so close to everything we love but feeling so scared about the house price and being close to that elementary.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 PM

99 posts, read 245,881 times
Sounds like you are emotionally attached to the house while you also have logical concerns.
Think of this as a purely business decision.
You said "it's at my maximum budget".
This does not sound like a good business decision to me.
I would walk and look for another house that you will feel more comfortable with.

Last edited by observer53; 08-14-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area