Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times

Advertisements

I actually really like Chandler, I wouldn't call the area around downtown 'blighted' I'd call it Hispanic, you know that thing that a lot of Phoenix area cities try to hide. It has some great stretches of carnicerias, Mexican Popsicle stores and outstanding restaurants. Some old farm houses break up the stucco monotony we see around the valley as well. It seems to have a great schools system and a lot of tech workers and high income earners around San Marcos and Ocotillo. I like San Marcos better personally.

As for Downtown Chandler itself, it is poppin, they seem to have a new place open every month, 2 microbreweries (Perch and SanTan) 4 or 5 Mexican places, a wine lounge, a western steakhouse, lots of small stores and ice cream shops, an upscale steak lounge, a place the sells every kind of AZ Craft Brew, one of the only acceptable Sonoran Dog restaurants in Phoenix (Morenos), a nice park infront of it all, craft cocktail lounge and a remodeled urban hotel etc. it's not Phx Tempe or Scottsdale but it's atleast as good as Glendale if not better in many ways.

The only weird thing about Chandler is the development patterns, I've seen Circle Ks across from each other, a high school by a bar it just seems sorta random.

Gilbert is a nice place too, but its not my speed Gilbert is too conservative for me. But Gilbert did a nice job of maintaining the Farm look of the tracts it built on.

Last edited by JGMotorsport64; 08-04-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:15 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I actually really like Chandler, I wouldn't call the area around downtown 'blighted' I'd call it Hispanic, you know that thing that a lot of Phoenix area cities try to hide. It has some great stretches of carnicerias, Mexican Popsicle stores and outstanding restaurants. Some old farm houses break up the stucco monotony we see around the valley as well. It seems to have a great schools system and a lot of tech workers and high income earners around San Marcos and Ocotillo. I like San Marcos better personally.

As for Downtown Chandler itself, it is poppin, they seem to have a new place open every month, 2 microbreweries (Perch and SanTan) 4 or 5 Mexican places, a wine lounge, a western steakhouse, lots of small stores and ice cream shops, an upscale steak lounge, a place the sells every kind of AZ Craft Brew, one of the only acceptable Sonoran Dog restaurants in Phoenix (Morenos), a nice park infront of it all, craft cocktail lounge and a remodeled urban hotel etc. it's not Phx Tempe or Scottsdale but it's atleast as good as Glendale if not better in many ways.

The only weird thing about Chandler is the development patterns, I've seen Circle Ks across from each other, a high school by a bar it just seems sorta random.

Gilbert is a nice place too, but its not my speed Gilbert is too conservative for me. But Gilbert did a nice job of maintaining the Farm look of the tracts it built on.
I agree the Downtown Chandler area is shaping nicely and I think it is better than Glendale with the fact that it has a resort and golf course. There's lots of new high density urban type redevelopment going on (not just planned, actually happening), so it is just getting better. That area around downtown is statistically the higher crime area though.

Regarding bars next to high schools , the only one I can think of is the Zipps Sports Bar directly across the street from Hamilton, but it's not like it is an issue with the school function and it is a family type sports bar. I've been there myself plenty of times and one time a Junior High age football team was in there celebrating their Championship. Hamilton is also across the street from a Five Guys, Panera, Bosa, 4-5 fast food restaurants, Target, Lowes etc, so it's just a commercial area, not some random dive bar with crime.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
That's the one! Like I said it's just sorta random, but it also makes it more interesting at the same time. It gives a sense of place. I lived in Tucson for a long time and I can point out bizarre development they have too (trailers next to mansions, hotels next to schools etc,) but you're right I doubt Zippys is a problem.

From what I understand the public schools are well funded and parents seem to like them.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:16 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
I'm not surprised by this article. Chandler is just very different than Gilbert. It has a very different attitude. Chandler tries to compete with Scottsdale. It doesn't want to be a bedroom community. It aspires to make a name for itself. It wants to create an urban presence by aggressively developing it's downtown. it wants to offer night life. It embraces diversity hence the reason nearly 15% of the city is Asian and growing. There is a large young educated population there that continues to thrive.

Look at what they are trying to do with Chandler Viridian site (accross from Chandler Mall). Chandler Viridian is a 25-acre complex planned on Frye Road near the Loop 101 and Loop 202 interchange, is projected to bring hundreds of new residents and jobs just south of Chandler Fashion Center.Phoenix-based Alliance Residential Co. started construction this month on Broadstone Fashion Center, a high-end apartment complex with a pool, sun deck and an adjacent parking garage. Cambria Alliance ranked last year as the nation’s largest multifamily developer and has opened Broadstone complexes in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Avondale and Chandler. In my opinion, this project is more ambitious than practical but it's another example of the ambition of Chandler.

Chandler eyesore replaced by hotel, apartments

Old 08-04-2015, 08:34 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm not surprised by this article. Chandler is just very different than Gilbert. It has a very different attitude. Chandler tries to compete with Scottsdale. It doesn't want to be a bedroom community. It aspires to make a name for itself. It wants to create an urban presence by aggressively developing it's downtown. it wants to offer night life. It embraces diversity hence the reason nearly 15% of the city is Asian and growing. There is a large young educated population there that continues to thrive.

Look at what they are trying to do with Chandler Viridian site (accross from Chandler Mall). Chandler Viridian is a 25-acre complex planned on Frye Road near the Loop 101 and Loop 202 interchange, is projected to bring hundreds of new residents and jobs just south of Chandler Fashion Center.Phoenix-based Alliance Residential Co. started construction this month on Broadstone Fashion Center, a high-end apartment complex with a pool, sun deck and an adjacent parking garage. Cambria Alliance ranked last year as the nation’s largest multifamily developer and has opened Broadstone complexes in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Avondale and Chandler. In my opinion, this project is more ambitious than practical but it's another example of the ambition of Chandler.

Chandler eyesore replaced by hotel, apartments
I loved living in Chandler for these reasons and many others.

It always seemed to be a safe city and family-friendly but not afraid to embrace diversity.

The public schools are some of the best in the entire metropolitan area.

Chandler is an employment center hub too, primarily in the electronics sector. Intel has had a huge presence there for as long as I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area