Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 AM

128 posts, read 151,534 times

Advertisements

I am planning to do some research outside of what I have done so far, but I was hoping for a recommendation for a credit union in the area, specifically something that is in the Deer Valley or Glendale area. Our current credit union charges no fees for checking/savings account or use of debit card. We aren't picky, just good customer service and somewhat flexible hours (our local credit union here has a branch in the mall so it has great hours).

So any particular recommendations and why do you prefer that branch? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Deer Valley Credit Union, great service no fees. Been with them over 20 years, never a problem. They have a branch at 59th Ave and Union Hills.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 970 times
Credit union west kasasa checking can't be beat. Several quality west valley braches. They are co-op participants so there are plenty of branches. They also reimburse ATM fees. They pay 2.5% interest on the first $10k in checking (~$23/mo).

Resist desert schools-- the big one around here. No benefits except proprietary branches.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock34 View Post
Credit union west kasasa checking can't be beat. Several quality west valley braches. They are co-op participants so there are plenty of branches. They also reimburse ATM fees. They pay 2.5% interest on the first $10k in checking (~$23/mo).

Resist desert schools-- the big one around here. No benefits except proprietary branches.
I can't complain about Desert Schools - been a member there for ~5 years, they all kinda do the same thing, hold your money for you, cash checks & write loans.. I was impressed that they actually held the note themselves on our rental property mortgages - most every lender out there sells your loan off before the ink is even dry - sometimes even forcing you to make your payments to some far-away bank. They did sell the note on our primary residence, but they retained servicing, so every month I visit & drop off some rent-checks & make a bunch of house payments. Compared to Chase & Wells Fargo, they're quite easy to deal with & the fees are much lower.. ymmv.

I might also add that Desert Schools was willing to write mortgages on our rentals that were "too small" for all the big banks - and the appraisals they used were fair, which was quite a rarity at the time.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:53 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
The largest Credit Union in the US (and possibly the best) is in Glendale. Do you meet any of the membership criteria to join Navy Federal Credit Union?

I've banked with them for over 20 years and they are outstanding.

https://www.navyfederal.org/

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
I used Deer Valley Credit union for many years. It was originally a Honeywell employees credit union. They always provided good service. Looking at their website it appears that they have expanded quite a bit since I left.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:25 PM

128 posts, read 151,534 times
Thanks everyone! I will be looking into these more closely. Not sure about the Navy one but I can check the criteria.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
If you don't qualify for Navy Federal Credit Union, check out USAA Bank. The bank service does not require any military connections. No local branches but you can make physical deposits at almost any UPS Store. Most checking/savings accounts are free and their online banking is awesome. I do think my Navy Federal phone app is better though.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:27 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Help me find a credit union-credit-union.jpg  

Old 08-19-2014, 12:37 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I can't complain about Desert Schools - been a member there for ~5 years, they all kinda do the same thing, hold your money for you, cash checks & write loans.. I was impressed that they actually held the note themselves on our rental property mortgages - most every lender out there sells your loan off before the ink is even dry - sometimes even forcing you to make your payments to some far-away bank. They did sell the note on our primary residence, but they retained servicing, so every month I visit & drop off some rent-checks & make a bunch of house payments. Compared to Chase & Wells Fargo, they're quite easy to deal with & the fees are much lower.. ymmv.

I might also add that Desert Schools was willing to write mortgages on our rentals that were "too small" for all the big banks - and the appraisals they used were fair, which was quite a rarity at the time.

^^^^ This! We've been a member for over 20 years. We still have small open accounts with Arizona Central Credit Union but switched all our major business to Desert Schools when we compared their fees, interest rates, locations and customer service quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: