Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:04 AM

487 posts, read 748,094 times

Advertisements

We're somewhat like the OP. We like a quieter lifestyle, but don't have kids and aren't particularly interested in a lot of kid-friendly stuff either. We pretty much have to choose to live in family friendly neighborhoods for the neighborhoods, and don't participate in the kid's activities. It's the only way we can have the home life we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 PM

17 posts, read 26,305 times
OP - if you find such a glorious place please let me know. I'd be the first to sign up.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Wow, zippyman, that's enlightening! I personally would not even want my high schooler crossing a super busy road unless it was adacent to school. But for relators to be specifically to freely discuss the pros and cons so as to avoid possible discrimination seems a bit overkill. i.e. we have small kids we want to avoid the college scene and heavy traffic or my spouse is ill and we need a quiet environment what do you mean the sound walls for the freeway makes for heavier residential noise or the municipal airport is busier overnight than during the day?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
Wow, zippyman, that's enlightening! I personally would not even want my high schooler crossing a super busy road unless it was adacent to school. But for relators to be specifically to freely discuss the pros and cons so as to avoid possible discrimination seems a bit overkill. i.e. we have small kids we want to avoid the college scene and heavy traffic or my spouse is ill and we need a quiet environment what do you mean the sound walls for the freeway makes for heavier residential noise or the municipal airport is busier overnight than during the day?
Holy run-on sentences and spelling mistakes. I'm having trouble even making sense of this post.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Most adult communities require one occupant to be at least a certain age. As an example, Westbrook Village requires one occupant to be at least 40 years of age.

Of course there are many communities that are not restricted, but are more popular with adult buyers than families. This does not mean that families are not welcome, but simply that the type and size of house and amenities are more desired by adults. I can think of several depending on the type of home that would interest you. One such example is Bella Vista in Scottsdale. This is a condominium community that is similar in construction to a luxury hotel. Large buildings with underground parking, elevators, interior entrances, etc. Most units are 2B/2BA 1200-1400 sq ft. Very quiet. Most owners are snowbirds or professional adults. Excellent neighborhood close to shopping, dining, etc.

If you prefer a single family home the Los Portones community in N. Scottsdale offers smaller 1400-1800 sq ft single family homes on smaller lots. Very quiet, gated community.

These are just two examples. There are lots of options in just about every section of the valley you just need to do a little research.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 PM

82 posts, read 173,444 times
You're in your late 30s but want to live like you're in your late 60s...Is that right? Just buy a place in Sun City...You can get away with it and not have your age be a problem...I have a cousin that bought there a few years ago and she's only 45...Not because she wants to live amongst those who are just waiting to die, but because the only other places to buy for such low prices puts her in slum areas and being raped and/or robbed wasn't on the priority list...Consider it!

Last edited by observer53; 09-02-2014 at 01:15 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijamez View Post
You're in your late 30s but want to live like you're in your late 60s...Is that right? Just buy a place in Sun City...You can get away with it and not have your age be a problem...I have a cousin that bought there a few years ago and she's only 45...Not because she wants to live amongst those who are just waiting to die, but because the only other places to buy for such low prices puts her in slum areas and being raped and/or robbed wasn't on the priority list...Consider it!
Why judge OP? There are plenty of people like him these days. It's not like the only two options should be (1)- start family or (2)- live near night life partying and hooking up until option 1 happens

Last edited by observer53; 09-02-2014 at 01:15 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM

487 posts, read 748,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nope098 View Post
Why judge OP? There are plenty of people like him these days. It's not like the only two options should be (1)- start family or (2)- live near night life partying and hooking up until option 1 happens
I could not agree more. This is how many people think of folks like us - even my mother in law once mentioned that we could adopt one day, apparently assuming that something must have been wrong, and not that it was a conscious choice on our part.

Our own preferences were also for a larger lot, because we like a little wiggle room between the neighbors, and also like to garden. It's been a little difficult.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
I could not agree more. This is how many people think of folks like us - even my mother in law once mentioned that we could adopt one day, apparently assuming that something must have been wrong, and not that it was a conscious choice on our part.

Our own preferences were also for a larger lot, because we like a little wiggle room between the neighbors, and also like to garden. It's been a little difficult.
There are some people who legitimately wonder why we don't want kids and there are others that I suspect are haters because they are tied down with kids and somewhere deep down inside they wish that they weren't.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nope098 View Post
There are some people who legitimately wonder why we don't want kids and there are others that I suspect are haters because they are tied down with kids and somewhere deep down inside they wish that they weren't.
Yep.

Phoenix seems to be very family friendly, but not everyone has children. Those of us without children don't want to live like we are in our 60's...quite the opposite! (at least for me) Not having children and still being young allows for a lot more time and energy to be anything but old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area