Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Water is no more costly here. The washes are restricted by the amount of time allotted per coin. It's not like it's a free for all, nor would the business owner set the price below their cost. I don't think that's it at all.
Its not about cost, its about quantity of water. I was told (not sure if the source was reputable or not) there arent many DIY washes around here because they waste more water than a conventional wash, and some cities dont permit them. Like I said, not sure if thats entirely true, but why else would there be a complete lack of them around here? Makes sense to me. And its true that the DIY wash times are dictated by how many coins you put in, but there are people that like to spend upwards of 20 minutes in those washes, which is a waste of water.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
I think there are just less carwashes in general, as you don't need to wash your car nearly as much as rainy/snowy climates. There are more of the big washes like Danny's and they are cheap, so if you only wash your car once a month or less, why not just go ahve soneone do it? IN the midwest, you might need to wash once a week, so it makes sense that there would be more per square mile...and those still have a line on the first thaw day after a big snow.

I'd prefer to wash with a bucket and rag as I did in Des Moines, but that isn't an option for me here.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I think there are just less carwashes in general, as you don't need to wash your car nearly as much as rainy/snowy climates.
I completely disagree. I wash my car here far more than in IL, mainly because its dusty all the time, and its warm all the time. In the winter back in IL, you didnt really wash your car unless there was a nice warm up in temps, or you had a garage where it could thaw overnight. If you didnt have a garage, and you washed your car, good luck opening it in the morning! Here I wash my car at least once a week, mainly because all the dust in the air makes my car look brown, and I hate it!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its not about cost, its about quantity of water. I was told (not sure if the source was reputable or not) there arent many DIY washes around here because they waste more water than a conventional wash, and some cities dont permit them.
That seems to make sense. I understand the automatic wash places reuse/filter/recycle the wash water so that certainly would be more water friendly.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
I completely disagree. I wash my car here far more than in IL, mainly because its dusty all the time, and its warm all the time. In the winter back in IL, you didnt really wash your car unless there was a nice warm up in temps, or you had a garage where it could thaw overnight. If you didnt have a garage, and you washed your car, good luck opening it in the morning! Here I wash my car at least once a week, mainly because all the dust in the air makes my car look brown, and I hate it!
I don't think I have ever washed my TRUCK here. I was visiting family around Christmas once back in the U.P. The weather warmed up to about 40 and there was a line at the car wash. It seemed really odd to be washing a car in the middle of winter. My sister told me that is so they can rinse all the salt off the cars. No thanks. I will take the dust.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I almost never wash my car here. I just don't need to. In the midwest, it was a weekly chore from March to November and whatever random day in the winter that it would be warm enough to do so. In the summer it was just as often from bug splatters, something else I have not had an issue with here.

I bet in my almost 9 months here I have washed it about 6 times. Seriously. And the first time was just after I arrived after driving across the country in freezing rain and drizzle for a good part of it. One of the first things I noticed here was how clean everyone's cars seemed here. I was used to seeing a car wash every other block. They are far more scarce.

Edit: I didn't have a garage for most of the last ten years I lived in the midwest and never had an issue with frozen dorrs after washing it.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't think I have ever washed my TRUCK here. I was visiting family around Christmas once back in the U.P. The weather warmed up to about 40 and there was a line at the car wash. It seemed really odd to be washing a car in the middle of winter. My sister told me that is so they can rinse all the salt off the cars. No thanks. I will take the dust.

Yep. You need to get a good rinse in the winter when you can to get all of that salt and sand off the car from winter roads. It's horrible for the car finish. The ice and sluch also builds up behind the wheels and sometimes a nice warm wash is the only way to loosen it.

Not to mention you can't see out of the windows due to road slush and muck from melting snow.

Man, I do not miss that!!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Its not about cost, its about quantity of water. I was told (not sure if the source was reputable or not) there arent many DIY washes around here because they waste more water than a conventional wash, and some cities dont permit them. Like I said, not sure if thats entirely true, but why else would there be a complete lack of them around here? Makes sense to me. And its true that the DIY wash times are dictated by how many coins you put in, but there are people that like to spend upwards of 20 minutes in those washes, which is a waste of water.
I don't know that there are any water restrictions here. Look at all the golf courses everywhere you look. I don't think that's it.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sounds about right. On the warmer winter days, the car washes in IL would be jam packed with people trying to rinse the salt off. And I will take the dust, too, its not corrosive like salt, but its just as ugly. I cant keep my car clean out here, especially in the monsoon season.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don't know that there are any water restrictions here. Look at all the golf courses everywhere you look. I don't think that's it.
And golf course watering has been frowned upon. Lately steps have been taken outlawing watering at certain times, etc. I believe some courses use water reclamation as well.

Car washes are a different beast. At the DIY stations, theyre not regulated. Ive seen people probably use a 100 or more gallons at a single wash... those idiots would stand there and pre-soak, then soap, then rinse and use the spot free water for 20 minutes sometimes. Such a waste of water out here in the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area