Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Having traveled and spent time in third world countries where people truly have no hope, the idea of giving to panhandlers in this country is ridiculous. In those countries, they don't have welfare, free education, shelters, Medicaid, or any social welfare system. In those countries, I will give to the beggars, children and others because they have no other option. In this country, it's mostly self-inflicted with substance abuse and poor decisions. It's hard for me to feel empathy toward them when you travel to countries like Bangladesh, India, Somalia, Mexico etc where the people are left to their own demises. In this country, everyone is capable of receiving basic means if they are simply willing to do so. There really is no excuse for someone to become homeless in this country. You don't even have to be literate; someone will fill out documents for you. That being said, i do donate to shelters and other organizations to help our poor. But I don't give to panhandlers

Old 08-30-2014, 02:29 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Having traveled and spent time in third world countries where people truly have no hope, the idea of giving to panhandlers in this country is ridiculous. In those countries, they don't have welfare, free education, shelters, Medicaid, or any social welfare system. In those countries, I will give to the beggars, children and others because they have no other option. In this country, it's mostly self-inflicted with substance abuse and poor decisions. It's hard for me to feel empathy toward them when you travel to countries like Bangladesh, India, Somalia, Mexico etc where the people are left to their own demises. In this country, everyone is capable of receiving basic means if they are simply willing to do so. There really is no excuse for someone to become homeless in this country. You don't even have to be literate; someone will fill out documents for you. That being said, i do donate to shelters and other organizations to help our poor. But I don't give to panhandlers
Couldn't have said it better. Circumstances in life can be tough for many but in the end, we each make our own bed.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
If you think it's bad in Phoenix, your head would explode in many other cities. I take it you don't travel much.

If they harass you, call the cops. If they leave you alone, leave them alone. It's quite simple.
Panhandlers have always been a problem in certain areas of Phoenix, and Tempe ... but I think you're right that they are worse in other cities. Southern CA seems to be a haven for these beggar/derelict types. They can be found in droves in San Diego, especially around Hotel Circle and the nearby Fashion Valley Mall. I will say that I've noticed the problem getting worse here lately, and this is well after the economic downturn ... so it's doubtful that the economy has anything to do with the number of panhandlers.

I just try to ignore them. If they ask me for spare change, I either move on or tell them I don't have any money. If they become demanding or threatening, I tell them to get a job & a life. Very few of these people are truly down on their luck ... most of them are just trying to get something for nothing, and are too lazy to improve their lives. Anybody who gives money to panhandlers is a damn fool in my mind.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:54 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Just give a little now and then if they seem like they need it. If they don't seem like they need it or you're short tell them you're broke. Otherwise chill out, some people had a bad start and still have a lot to figure out.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:42 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Most if not all of them are on Meth or Heroin both drugs drive the user to do what ever it takes to buy drugs. My wife had a long time friend who got hooked on Meth she lost everything and ended up begging on a corner she would come by and stay with us to dry out for a few weeks trying to get off meth but as soon as she felt better the meth called her again. She told me begging she could make about 5-20$ an hour around the holidays lot more. She hung around a guy who was a Vietnam vet he also was hooked on Meth he used his military service to get money as people felt bad for him wearing a hat holding a sign. She also said about 99% of those she talked to at off ramps or intersections were on drugs she said the drug dealer would drive by and sell them meth they smoke it near by. In reality both of them had a lot of help from their family's but they don't want it they want meth. They are good people but caught by drugs when you give money to them they just use it for drugs. You think you can help someone like this but they don't want help You can't make someone get off drugs.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 AM

308 posts, read 791,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I agree with you. Though I can certainly understand the true homeless, many who have mental issues and kind of checked out of life.

But for the panhandlers who look clean shaven and dressed well who I'm willing to bet many are just hustlers, as long as people enable them/give them money, they probably figure why bother looking for a job. I think well meaning people are just making the matter worse and enable this behavior. Otherwise, these people wouldn't be standing around so many places making their "living" off of other people. If someone truly is that bad off, needs this/that to get their lives together, there are tons of social programs that they can access, go to a shelter, the salvation army, etc.
In my town, I get to interact with the panhandlers often in my job. I have asked several of them how much they make for every hour they are out. The number is usually between $60 and $80 PER HOUR. Why would they work at a fast food place? That's $60-80 per hour TAX FREE, on top of their social security, disability and any other government assistance they collect (yes, most of them DO collect "their checks"). They "work" a few hours each day and then go sit in the shade drinking beer. I wouldn't even give them food because, IF they eat it (have seen them throw it out), that just allows them to spend more money on drugs/booze. They are not panhandling to just get through a rough patch. It is their "job" and how they have decided to make a living. Giving them your hard earned money is not going to do anything but allow them to continue as they are.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
In my town, I get to interact with the panhandlers often in my job. I have asked several of them how much they make for every hour they are out. The number is usually between $60 and $80 PER HOUR. Why would they work at a fast food place? That's $60-80 per hour TAX FREE, on top of their social security, disability and any other government assistance they collect (yes, most of them DO collect "their checks"). They "work" a few hours each day and then go sit in the shade drinking beer. I wouldn't even give them food because, IF they eat it (have seen them throw it out), that just allows them to spend more money on drugs/booze. They are not panhandling to just get through a rough patch. It is their "job" and how they have decided to make a living. Giving them your hard earned money is not going to do anything but allow them to continue as they are.
That's sick but really not surprising to me. And good point on the gov assistance many collect along with it. My understanding is most(all?) gov assistance can be collected pretty much indefinitely without any deadlines in having to secure a job, clean up one's act, etc. Suckers like me did it the hard way I guess, going to college and working a job.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 PM

299 posts, read 545,737 times
Going back about 50 years, back east..... there was a man who appeared to be blind who sat on the ground in downtown Pittsburgh Mon - Fri. At some point in time he had been arrested-- turns out he was not blind, tax-free income of approx $2,000 a month. My weekly salary at that time was $49 per week before deductions.

Best to give to the food bank, church collections for the poor, etc.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Best thing I saw today in Peoria were signs posted on the center medians at a couple of stop lights that read "No Trespassing City Of Peoria".
Stand there panhandling and get arrested for trespass (not panhandling) .

Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 PM

54 posts, read 87,809 times
I'm always afraid I'm going to see one of them get clipped by a a car doing 45-50 mph only 2 ft from them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area