Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,437,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Old Town Scottsdale is a tourist destination. Most of the people that you meet in downtown S-dale are not local residents - they are TOURISTS.

Perhaps the "snobby" tone of Scottsdale is really the residents powering through the insufferable posers and snowbirds. Not all Scottsdale tax payers are romanced by more hotels, night clubs, and restaurants.
Lot of professional athletes and movie stars moved to Scottsdale so they do have a lot of millionaires in the town but its a huge city now. Scottsdale has a working middle class and even a few lower middle class folks. Its a big city now with over 200k living in city. It is hard to stereotype 200k people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,577,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I dont agree with this opinion. Opinions vary depending on people's life experiences and perception. Scottsdale is not even close to as snobby and rude the people are on South Beach. I actually think the women in Arizona are quite amazing and extremely friendly and outgoing but to each his/her own.
I was agreeing with your point of view, dude. Not sure what you don't agree with.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,437,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I was agreeing with your point of view, dude. Not sure what you don't agree with.
I mean the other guy's opinion. I had a typo. My bad man.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:06 PM

555 posts, read 857,591 times
Lived in the heart of old town for 5 years. Im not sure where all this negativity is coming from or who got burned here, but its nowhere near as bad as you guys make it out to be...then again I live by the motto 'treat others how you want to be treated'.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:44 PM

768 posts, read 1,754,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Lived in the heart of old town for 5 years. Im not sure where all this negativity is coming from or who got burned here, but its nowhere near as bad as you guys make it out to be...then again I live by the motto 'treat others how you want to be treated'.
Just curious - what years?

Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,200,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
One other thing I didn't write earlier was how common it is these days for the $40,000.00 income crowd to use credit cards for their spending habits, I know people who earn less than that but have $20,000.00 limits on their Visa.

The few times I was in Scottsdale I noticed a high amount of general arrogance and snobbishness among the crowd, especially in oldtown.

I'm certain there are wealthy people in Scottsdale who aren't all fake and plastic but it seems to be a place where being flashy is more common than being humble.
Really? I think you're unfairly stereotyping Scottsdale because of a few arrogant people you might have come across. Besides, who cares how they obtained their money, or how they spend it? You should be thankful some people have the cash or credit to spend on things, which has a way of stimulating the overall economy. I'd rather have a few who are big spenders with their own money than a large share of the population on welfare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Lot of professional athletes and movie stars moved to Scottsdale so they do have a lot of millionaires in the town but its a huge city now. Scottsdale has a working middle class and even a few lower middle class folks. Its a big city now with over 200k living in city. It is hard to stereotype 200k people.
Exactly! Scottsdale has this false reputation of being like Beverly Hills, South Beach, or whatever ... but it's too big of a city in both area & population to be classified that way. South Scottsdale is largely working class, which is ironically close to the "snooty" Old Town area.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:13 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,562,232 times
Just out of curiosity, are a majority or a high percentage of Scottsdale residents native Midwesterners, or sons and daughters of native Midwesterners? Or are the majority of Scottsdale residents native to the region?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:43 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,577,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Just out of curiosity, are a majority or a high percentage of Scottsdale residents native Midwesterners, or sons and daughters of native Midwesterners? Or are the majority of Scottsdale residents native to the region?
I have no stats to back this up with, but the majority of people in the valley as a whole seem to be from elsewhere. That really isn't specific to Scottsdale at all.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:41 PM

389 posts, read 593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Many Scottsdalians are native Midwesterners or children of Midwesterners. I would say that the highest percentage of Scottsdalians have ties to the Midwest, followed by the Northeast and California. Also, there are a good number of people from other Western states in general (typically colder ones).

There are not a whole lot of Arizona natives over the age of 25 or so, but the ones I have encountered lived in the West Valley. I'm sure there are natives scattered around the metro area, they just make up a small number of the people that are living here.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 AM

555 posts, read 857,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Just curious - what years?
currently
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area