Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I think ? the earlier parts of Sun City deliberately avoided backyard walls (you can see all the way down thru everybody's yards) to create a sense of openness and encourage neighborliness (is that a word?!)....

Amen. We like to be able to interact with our neighbors and develop relationships. We never know when we might need some help or they might need ours.

I absolutely hate walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Amen. We like to be able to interact with our neighbors and develop relationships. We never know when we might need some help or they might need ours.

I absolutely hate walls.
You can do those things and not have to share a backyard with no privacy.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I absolutely hate walls.
Can't people interact/develop relationships with people with fenced yards? We've had no problem doing that over the years and our neighbors around us haven't either.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Not building a wall or fence is nothing more than a cost saving factor for the builder. Not social science just $$$
100% correct.

I was told by the builders in several 55+ that no fences made for good neighbors, my reply was no fences saves the builder money. They all gave me a strange look.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:48 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Walls also present a danger in senior communities.

The danger! Senior falls and breaks his/her hip in the backyard, surround by high cinder block walls, no one sees it, no one even hears the groans and yelling for help!

I work in a LTC/rehab facility and that happened to one of my patients. 85YO, senior community, block walls surrounding the graveled backyard, she fell, too weak to call out for help, she dragged her frail body over the graveled backyard, on her back, mind you, until she had managed to crawl to the front of the house where someone finally saw her a few hours later!

I call Las Vegas the Walled City, hundreds of miles of cinder block walls covering the Valley, which make great canvasses for the graffiti crowd, and to continually clean up the graffiti in this city: $30 million a year!

Do you really want that in the Phoenix area?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

The danger! Senior falls and breaks his/her hip in the backyard, surround by high cinder block walls, no one sees it, no one even hears the groans and yelling for help!

I work in a LTC/rehab facility and that happened to one of my patients. 85YO, senior community, block walls surrounding the graveled backyard, she fell, too weak to call out for help, she dragged her frail body over the graveled backyard, on her back, mind you, until she had managed to crawl to the front of the house where someone finally saw her a few hours later!

I call Las Vegas the Walled City, hundreds of miles of cinder block walls covering the Valley, which make great canvasses for the graffiti crowd, and to continually clean up the graffiti in this city: $30 million a year!

Do you really want that in the Phoenix area?
Are you under the impression that we don't already have block walls in the vast majority of neighborhoods?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Actually I would think that's more likely to occur within a house where no one can hear the yelling for help.

In any case, if this is a real concern, Life Alert and like services solve that problem.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:22 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Here's a good example of why they shouldn't have block fences in Sun City. This couple laid dead for several days in their back yard just off the patio and as you can see the fence prevented anyone from seeing them. Eventually someone looked over the fence and called the police.
MCSO: No foul play for 2 dead on Sun City patio - ABC15 Arizona

Old 09-08-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Here's a good example of why they shouldn't have block fences in Sun City. This couple laid dead for several days in their back yard just off the patio and as you can see the fence prevented anyone from seeing them. Eventually someone looked over the fence and called the police.
Two old people died in their backyard so there should be a city-wide ban on block walls? You're not being serious, are you?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
While certainly a tragedy, using the same logic, should we remove walls in a home for seniors because the same thing could happen and no one could see them?

Too live in fear because of what might happen I believe is no way to live. And besides, a Life Alert type service solves all these issues and gives the choice of a fence for their own privacy if this is something a senior wants. My grandmother had this type of service and it gave her freedom and peace of mind to live where she wanted to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area