Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 06:36 AM

404 posts, read 480,313 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Is it comfortable living in a mobile home during the summer heat in Phoenix? Someone in my office mentioned that a metal structure would be hard to cool.

Thanks,
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 03:45 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Newer (mid-eighties or so) mobiles are actually decently insulated. Many 1970's mobiles had just over an inch of insulation in the walls & ceiling.. I wouldnt try to inhabit an old one in the summer here, but I see people who do.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Are you really talking mobile home (single wide, on blocks, in a park) or manufactured home (double or triple wide on a foundation)? As Zippy said, older units in general will be less energy efficient. Mobile will be less efficient since they are built to be lighter and more transportable.

Newer manufactured homes will be equal to or better than many site built homes. They will have heating and AC systems similar to site built homes.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,356 times
Yep - just as with a non-mobile home, it depends on how it was constructed. Anything newer is likely to be pretty good and just like anybody else with AC you will have no issues with comfort. Also, I doubt your AC costs would be much larger than with a permanent structure. Get a cheap, older unit with bare bones construction and next to zero insulation ... well - you get what you pay for.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM

299 posts, read 545,230 times
I lived in a 1976 single wide for 8 yrs and also for 5 yrs in a 1975 double wide. Both homes qwew well-built and taken care of over the years. I was just as comfortable as in apartments and houses that I rented over the years.

One difference I noticed as compared to a solid block home is that the darn fireplace stink from Dec - Mar got into the mobile homes. I put double plastic over the vents for the swamp and AC during those months in the single wide. Double- could not do that because the heat and AC came from those vents, so I ran my IQ and one of my Austin air cleaners which helped a lot. A friend lived in a frame stucco house, said her and her son's eyes burned from the neighbors' fireplaces but it did not bother her husband.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 PM

404 posts, read 480,313 times
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: