Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
Tell us, good sir, what is it that you do that makes your time so much more valuable than the rest of ours?
Nothing. My time in the carpool lane is not about other drivers. It's about getting to where I have to go as fast as I can. If I hit unexpected traffic and I am already running late, I will jump in the lane. I am fully aware that I put myself at risk of being pulled over. However, in a couple years of doing this, I have never even almost been pulled over. This is not a daily occurrence, but it happens. On the majority of days when I am in the GP lanes, I am not concerned about single drivers using the carpool lane. I figure they have places to go that they are trying to get to in a timely matter. One more person in the HOV is one fewer person in the GP lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
What's stopping you from using it that isn't stopping him? To some it's a calculated risk.
Taking drugs is a calculated risk. Being in a gang is a calculated risk.

I dont know whats worse. People that break the law, or people that condone breaking the law.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Taking drugs is a calculated risk. Being in a gang is a calculated risk.

I dont know whats worse. People that break the law, or people that condone breaking the law.
I'm not condoning anything. I'm stating that we are all capable of making our own choices and accepting the consequences. I have no desire to control others, especially when it has no impact on me. If you ride solo in the HOV lane, my life will be the same as it is if you don't.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
If I hit unexpected traffic and I am already running late, I will jump in the lane.
Apparently budgeting time is a hard thing to do these days? I can count on one hand how many times Ive been late to work in the past 10 years, no joke.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
What would need to happen to fix this is what other larger cities have instituted. HOV restrictions need to be round-the-clock, instead of just rush hour. Furthermore, vehicles in the lane must be registered carpoolers, displaying a permit like they do in parts of SoCal.

It would also help if lanes were controlled with specific entry/exit points, instead of people being allowed to merge into it whenever they feel the need.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:32 PM

281 posts, read 368,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Nothing. My time in the carpool lane is not about other drivers. It's about getting to where I have to go as fast as I can. If I hit unexpected traffic and I am already running late, I will jump in the lane. I am fully aware that I put myself at risk of being pulled over. However, in a couple years of doing this, I have never even almost been pulled over. This is not a daily occurrence, but it happens. On the majority of days when I am in the GP lanes, I am not concerned about single drivers using the carpool lane. I figure they have places to go that they are trying to get to in a timely matter. One more person in the HOV is one fewer person in the GP lanes.
It most certainly is about other drivers. Other drivers who obey the law are the only reason taking the carpool lane gets you there faster. If everyone adopted your attitude, every lane would be going miserably slow, albeit at an ever-so-slightly faster rate than if nobody adopted your attitude. Do you think nobody else is late?

Why is at always "get where I have to go as fast as I can"? Are you also the type of person who will slow down while you think about which way you want to go or whether you want to turn or not, while slowing down everyone behind you? Afterall, YOU need to get where YOU have to go as fast as YOU can. Forget about the whole, forget about others, what do I need?

I suppose in some sense you're right; it is a calculated risk, at least as far as the consequences to YOU. It is however a risk that I, and I assume many others like me, will fight to make sure gets higher and higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area