Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 01:46 PM

15 posts, read 46,597 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking, using a "playing the odds" way of thinking, what part of the Phoenix metro area (surrounding suburbs included) tend to have the most larger business and tech jobs? I'm sure these types of jobs exist all over the state to some degree or another, but again, using a "playing the odds" approach, is there a particular quadrant or list of areas/burbs you can share? To get more specific about occupations, think business analyst/project manager/user experience designer for web projects. It wouldn't have to be an internet company (like Google), but these jobs are usually most abundant in large corporations and business-ey non-profits.

My soon-to-be wife and I are seriously considering relocating from the Minneapolis area to the Phoenix area in the next couple of years (after ardent planning). We visited several parts of AZ (not so much Phoenix though) this past June and loved it. I understand that day-to-day life in Phoenix won't be the same as tourist sightseeing elsewhere in the state, but nonetheless, I'm very interested in Phoenix.

The job market/economy is pretty decent here in the Twin Cities, but the climate has worn us both out. It's winter here for nearly six months. I just can't imagine spending nearly half of the rest of my life in a frozen tundra. I know Phoenix gets hot in the summer, but I can do hot standing on my head. Cold? Not so much.

Anyway, the Phoenix area is HUGE and we'll be coming there in February for about a week as an initial scope-out trip (as well as a much needed sanity break from the horrible winter here). While fighting the urge to do touristy sight-seeing, we'll probably just drive around as well as hit the pavement to walk certain areas.

From what I've read so far, it seems like central and east phoenix would have most of these jobs, while the west side is generally more industrial/blue collar. But central & east is still a pretty broad stroke...so any feedback on more specific areas would be much appreciated!

(So not to beat a dead horse, but again, I'm posing this question from a very "generally speaking" POV. I see a lot people get emotional and riled up over what they perceive to be generalizations about certain parts of town, but I have to start somewhere! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 03:15 PM

848 posts, read 967,452 times
I moved here from California in March for a software development job. While there are tech jobs scattered all over the place, I noticed in my job hunting that the 3-4 major areas that have concentrations of tech companies are (probably) downtown Phoenix, an area called Scottsdale Airpark, which is the area around the little airport in Scottsdale, I think there's tech around Deer Valley airport, and then there's tech in Chandler, which is where I work. For Chandler, I think the tech area is north of the southern part of the 202 loop, between 10 and 101. I know Intel has a large facility in that area, as well as Broadcom.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:29 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
It's a mixed bag. Downtown Phoenix, the Air Park area of Scottsdale, Tempe and there's assorted business and tech all over the Valley. I would suggest snagging a job first and then moving to that area unless, of course, you're willing to gamble and risk a cross Valley commute. That's not the end of the world. A lot of people do it.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
I worked software development/IT jobs in the valley for over 30 years. I worked at various times near:
  • I-17/Camelback
  • I-17/Thunderbird
  • I-17/Peoria
  • 16th St/Camelback
  • I-17/Indian School
  • I-10/Elliot
  • Hayden/McDowell
  • Price Road/Queen Creek
  • 56th St/Indian School
  • 44th St/Broadway

In my case the more central the better. If I were gambling on finding something today I would look somewhere between central Phoenix and Chandler.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:32 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Phoenix's Central Corridor, Scottsdale Airpark, and Chandler's Price Corridor are the tech hubs in the metro area. One way to possibly predict where the new tech jobs in the near future will be found is to look at the fastest growing or hottest business areas. Those areas are Chandler's Price Corridor, ASU Stadium District, Loop 303 corridor, and Phoenix/Mesa Gateway airport.

Arizona's five hottest business districts

Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I moved here from California in March for a software development job. While there are tech jobs scattered all over the place, I noticed in my job hunting that the 3-4 major areas that have concentrations of tech companies are (probably) downtown Phoenix, an area called Scottsdale Airpark, which is the area around the little airport in Scottsdale, I think there's tech around Deer Valley airport, and then there's tech in Chandler, which is where I work. For Chandler, I think the tech area is north of the southern part of the 202 loop, between 10 and 101. I know Intel has a large facility in that area, as well as Broadcom.
Close . It's actually the south/central part of Chandler that has the most tech (Price Rd South of 202). Intel has another (much larger) facility in this area (they just submitted more paperwork for another expansion), as well as Amkor Tech, Marvell Tech, Orbital Sciences, etc. Also Microchip is just on the North side of the 202 on Price and Freescale and the older Intel plant West of the Price Corridor. The Price Corridor actually extends North of the 202 into Tempe as they are developing some nice tech hubs as well, and GoDaddy's new office is right there off Warner/101. The Southern portion of price is where the infrastructure is for current and future tech growth, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area