Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 04:36 PM

62 posts, read 144,896 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear feedback from others regarding attractions, sites and fun experiences that the Phoenix area can offer.

Which nature sites are most recommended to visit? Which areas offer the best shopping/dining?

What is the over all vibe of Phoenix? What day trips with in driving distance would be most fun? Is there any cool nightlife or restaurants that you would recommend for girls in their early twenties?

For a 22 year old girl working as a nanny, can you suggest also fun things to do with children? best zoos, museums, recreational parks?

Any and all information/tips is appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:15 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
The overall vibe in the Phoenix area is very chill and relaxed. Yes it is a large busy city but it still has that western "live and let live" attitude. Phoenix is a very unique city because you can explore nature and the great outdoors right within the city. We have numerous mountain reserves and great hiking right in the middle of town or just a quick hop away. You can go on nature walks at Dreamy Draw, Desert Botanical Garden, or the Rio Salado Habitat Restoration Area. Now if you want to get out of the city then the opportunities are endless. Arizona has no shortage of great nature sites. I personally love camping in the Mogollon Rim region between Payson and Heber and going hiking up in Sedona. The largest mass of inland sand dunes in the US can be found near Yuma where you can take your atvs and have the time of your life. As far as nightlife goes the twenty something crowd flocks to Mill Ave in Tempe. It's a very walkable area and fun bar hopping with lots of high energy Thurs-Sat nights and there are some great bars and clubs that I frequent such as Four Peaks Brewing Company (local brewery),Gringo Star, Zipps, Fat Tuesday, School of Rock, Cue Club. Old Town Scottsdale is the other high concentration area of bars and clubs but it's more mixed age wise with generally a more mature crowd. You're not going to see just 21-25 year olds at the bars and clubs in Scottsdale like you would on Mill Ave. The Phoenix area is very family oriented and there is actually a lot for kids to do here. I honestly can't tell you what the best zoo is as I haven't step foot in one in God knows how long but there are 2 zoos in the metro area The Phoenix Zoo which is centrally located in the midle of town then there's the Wildlife World Zoo way out on the west side of town. Far up north an hour or so out of town there's the Out of Africa Zoo in Camp Verde. In downtown Phoenix there's the Arizona Science Center which is awesome and then there's the Children's Museum and the Heard Museum which are all totally worth taking the kids to. For a fun day outdoors I recommend Encanto Park in Phoenix which is a large park that has a mini amusement park and the kids will really enjoy. Kiwanis Park in Tempe is also an awesome park with an indoor water park. Farther out east in Gilbert is Freestone Park which has a cool train that kids and families seem to enjoy. There are also these cool indoor trampoline parks such as Jumpstreet in Chandler. I'm 23 and went there and had a blast! Of course there's normal things as well like Chucke Cheese, movie theatres, etc.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
For links to activities for all:

Recommended: 2014 Best of Phoenix List

Some ideas for activities with kids:

Best Vintage Amusement Park Phoenix 2013 - Enchanted Island Amusement Park at Encanto Park - Phoenix New Times

i.d.e.a. Museum Home

Home Page - Xtreme Air

Castles ~n~ Coasters - Arizona's Finest Family Fun and Thrill ParkCastles ~n~ Coasters – Arizona's Finest Family Fun and Thrill Park

Joe's Farm Grill is a fun eating establishment located in the middle of an urban farm development called "Agritopia" in Gilbert. Kids can have fun there and the food is great, which is nice for the adults:
Joe

Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 PM

62 posts, read 144,896 times
Thanks you all, I appreciate the information!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:07 AM

17 posts, read 30,262 times
From someone who has spent a few years abroad one thing I would definitely advise is to find something that reminds you of home that you can turn to when you get homesick. I know that was something that helped me a lot and finding a strong expat community will help too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area