Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well I'm doing spending night in Old Town Scottsdale, and one night at a hotel in the North Valley near the 17/101 interchange and I intend to spend some time around Central Phoenix. I guess I could go to Yelp, but that site has become sort of a beast of its own. What it boils down to for me is, I was reading about Pizzeria Bianco and its Neapolitan style pizza which triggered a craving for it. So now that I have an appetite for Neapolitans Pizza (my palate is going coo coo for it), where's the best place in the Valley for that?
If you'll be in Scottsdale, Pomo is good. Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana - Scottsdale - Scottsdale, AZ | Yelp

Just because Bianco is overrated doesn't mean that it isn't good. I'd still try to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 09:09 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Pomo is better if you want AVPN certified Neapolitan pizza. Chris Bianco's pies are more creative and stray a bit from the standard. There both great and neither, in my opinion, overrated.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:01 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
AVPN certified Neapolitan pizza.

wow, did have to look that up!.....an official pizza board!....here's the American section of the association

VPN AMERICAS - Vera Pizza Napoletana

Old 10-05-2014, 02:41 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Both Pomo (locations in Downtown Phoenix and Scottsdale) and La Piazza PHX (Downtown Phoenix with a sister restaurant called La Piazza Locale in Glendale) are VPN certified. As mentioned, Pizzeria Bianco is not, but that's more because the proprietor hasn't needed to bother. I'm sure could meet the standard if wanted to, but maybe not pursuing the certification allows a little more flexibility.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:55 PM

17 posts, read 26,323 times
It's worth a 10-15 minute wait..

Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
OK, I went to Pizzeria Bianco downtown on Monday afternoon at about 2:00 PM, and the place was about 1/2 full. It was a satisfying and different experience. I did find their menu to be very limited. I'd call it a very decent neighborhood kind of pizza joint that happens to have an excellent pizza oven that makes a good light and airy crust. I can't say it was anywhere near being the best pizza in America as its been called before. Would I go back again? Maybe, as it was a good pizza. But next time I'm in the Valley I'll probably try some other place that locals would recommend.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
OK, I went to Pizzeria Bianco downtown on Monday afternoon at about 2:00 PM, and the place was about 1/2 full. It was a satisfying and different experience. I did find their menu to be very limited. I'd call it a very decent neighborhood kind of pizza joint that happens to have an excellent pizza oven that makes a good light and airy crust. I can't say it was anywhere near being the best pizza in America as its been called before. Would I go back again? Maybe, as it was a good pizza. But next time I'm in the Valley I'll probably try some other place that locals would recommend.
Glad you got to check it out. That sounds like a fair and accurate take on the place.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 PM

389 posts, read 596,349 times
I visited the one at Town and Country about a year ago. I didn't understand why it gets so much hype. The pizza wasn't even the best pizza I've had in Phoenix, let alone the best in the country. It seemed like a place that people go for the "vibe" and not a place for people that like to eat.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:17 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I've lived in Arizona for nine years now. I've never had anything in this state I would call the best pizza I've ever eaten, including Bianco's. I'm convinced it's the local water not being conducive to making a tasty crust ... but that's a story for another day.

The last time I ate at the downtown establishment (because I had an appointment in the same neighborhood), it was a weekday at around 3 p.m. and I was seated immediately. Right after I started eating, Padre Bianco came over to ask me how I liked my food. I said everything was fine, thank you. He seemed rather annoyed that I didn't fawn all over him. And I didn't say a word about it being somewhat overpriced nor did I mention the fact that I was kind of put out that I had to deal with valet parking in a half-empty lot in the middle of the day. Generally, I agree with DetroitN8V: it's overrated and good. The room is pleasant.

Pane Bianco on N. Central also has rapturous reviews but I'm unlikely ever to go back there. On my first visit the service was terrible and I found the place to be very pretentious for someplace mimicking a country Italian cafe. The menu items seem designed for attention-getting, rather than taste, with exotic ingredients and weird combinations you wouldn't find in a place like that which actually is in Europe. The bread is, indeed, delicious, but just buy some to go.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Padre Bianco came over to ask me how I liked my food. I said everything was fine, thank you. He seemed rather annoyed that I didn't fawn all over him. And I didn't say a word about it being somewhat overpriced nor did I mention the fact that I was kind of put out that I had to deal with valet parking in a half-empty lot in the middle of the day.
Padre Bianco? That's a new one. There are a large number of parking options, this is a big city. You managed to find a valet lot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area