Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 PM

34 posts, read 53,596 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for safe areas in Phoenix, avoid the areas with large concentrations of Orange in the pic above. All predominantly Blue areas are safe. Some are safer than others but the only ones that need avoiding are the areas on the map that are mostly Orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,228,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encino.Man View Post

If you're looking for safe areas in Phoenix, avoid the areas with large concentrations of Orange in the pic above. All predominantly Blue areas are safe. Some are safer than others but the only ones that need avoiding are the areas on the map that are mostly Orange.

You don't live here, but you are going to revive this thread and tell people to avoid everything orange on this map? (which is pretty difficult to interpret in the first place in terms of exact locations).

There is better info on crime statistics out there than maps like this.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:14 PM

109 posts, read 208,740 times
I was surprised to see this thread bumped after so long, and I had actually forgotten that I had started it. Does anyone feel like posting their thoughts on the topic of this thread these days? And is there anyone on here who is familiar with the rougher parts of the Phoenix Metro area who can personally compare it to some other rough areas of other cities?

If so, I'd be glad to read some people's thoughts.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,125,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJackAz View Post
I was surprised to see this thread bumped after so long, and I had actually forgotten that I had started it. Does anyone feel like posting their thoughts on the topic of this thread these days? And is there anyone on here who is familiar with the rougher parts of the Phoenix Metro area who can personally compare it to some other rough areas of other cities?

If so, I'd be glad to read some people's thoughts.
The roughest areas of Phoenix are nothing like the rough parts of Chicago I've seen. I grew up in the burbs back there but worked some construction with my dad in Cabrini Green and other various housing project sites. Out here we have small pockets of bad neighborhoods with gang activity...back there many square miles of projects that would engulf our entire downtown

Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,363,790 times
The problem with maps such as the one above is they are often very out of date. I would only look at data from the UCR of any city (Unified Crime Report) - Here is the site that compiles that for the entire country- RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

Or you can go to Phoenix.gov and I believe they may send you to the same site. https://www.phoenix.gov/police/neigh...ime-stats-maps

The other problem with a site map like Encinoman posted is an area may look like a bad crime area on a large map, but you find out all the crimes are car thefts or vehicle break ins happening in a shopping center near the residential area, not in the residential area proper, but it's the same zip code. That can happen in swanky sections of Scottsdale or in lower income neighborhoods like those near downtown.

The links above give you a way to look up a specific address and see what has been happening. It's hard for any of us to give a report if we don't live right there. AND a lot of people are completely clueless about what's happening 1 block from their homes.

Example, On the RAIDS link above, I typed in my address, checked all the "events" boxes, and put in a date range for the last 30 days (which makes it far more accurate and recent than the map above). There were 3 incidents: a DUI, shoplifting at the mall 2 miles from my home, and a theft from a car at the shopping center. On the Encinoman map, all those "crimes" would have been given equal weight with more dangerous crimes like assault, drug problems, domestic violence, etc. So you need to do a more thorough sleuthing job than just looking at some picture with colors on it.

As far as asking people - most people have a false sense of security about their own neighborhoods - anything can happen anywhere. I'd bet some people on CD will look up their addresses now and find out some heinous things have happened near them that they never heard about. Ignorance is bliss?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM

837 posts, read 2,326,321 times
I love how people assume an area is dangerous based on how the inhabitants look. Why don't you use real statistical crime data instead of your overly biased "spidy senses"

Old 05-29-2015, 01:16 PM

755 posts, read 672,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
I love how people assume an area is dangerous based on how the inhabitants look. Why don't you use real statistical crime data instead of your overly biased "spidy senses"

That would be sensible, something most people don't have or are too lazy to use; so they go by what they hear and hold on to it as if it were the gospel.

Most people don't understand the diversity of Phoenix and other big cities urban area. They prefer to live a thousand miles away from an "orange" area so they can feel safe, when they could live only a few blocks away (Encanto, Biltmore corridor, South Mt. et al) and get the same safety. But that is on them; let them live in Timbuktu and build a fake city with an imitation downtown in the middle of the desert to feel "safe", and then speak of diverse areas with such disdain they will hopefully frighten the up and coming newbies to move into their wanna be Stepford Wives' communities instead of moving to urban areas to revitalize areas within close proximity to downtown.

Whateva.........

Old 05-31-2015, 02:33 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,182,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
The problem with maps such as the one above is they are often very out of date. I would only look at data from the UCR of any city (Unified Crime Report) - Here is the site that compiles that for the entire country- RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

Or you can go to Phoenix.gov and I believe they may send you to the same site. https://www.phoenix.gov/police/neigh...ime-stats-maps

The other problem with a site map like Encinoman posted is an area may look like a bad crime area on a large map, but you find out all the crimes are car thefts or vehicle break ins happening in a shopping center near the residential area, not in the residential area proper, but it's the same zip code. That can happen in swanky sections of Scottsdale or in lower income neighborhoods like those near downtown.
Well first of all, that poster is no longer a member ... so that probably should tell you something about the credibility of what he posted. Second, maps like that are pretty generalized in that they seem to concentrate on certain areas as being higher in crime when the same kind of crimes could be happening anywhere else (even in some of the "safer" suburban areas). West Phoenix areas like Maryvale do tend to have the higher crime rates overall ... however, plenty of property crimes (burglaries, vandalism, etc.) still occur in safer areas like Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, etc.

Some burglars aren't even threatened by an alarm system ... they commit what's known as "smash & grab", meaning they break in, steal what they can and leave quickly before the police can arrive. Many of them are drug addicts and sell their stolen goods on the street for their next addictive high. Sad but true.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,004,007 times
Just after moving here I was working at a warehouse near Camelback and 51st Ave. Asked a coworker, a mexican guy in his 40's, "where is the action here? where does the stuff go down at?" Without hesitation he tells me to just cruise around 27th street and Camelback. "they got what you're looking for" he says! So I cruised the area that evening after work, it was bustling there alright. Looked like a lot of action going on! It must be the old addict lifestyle in me, that I left behind in Florida.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,125,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Just after moving here I was working at a warehouse near Camelback and 51st Ave. Asked a coworker, a mexican guy in his 40's, "where is the action here? where does the stuff go down at?" Without hesitation he tells me to just cruise around 27th street and Camelback. "they got what you're looking for" he says! So I cruised the area that evening after work, it was bustling there alright. Looked like a lot of action going on! It must be the old addict lifestyle in me, that I left behind in Florida.
27th Street or Avenue. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area