Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:26 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What is funny is the same thing happens in South Florida. Miami has a ton of money but it was brought in from elsewhere yet you didn't hear the same type of criticisms about Miami due to the culture of this forum. It's just become a hate filled fraternity of a minority of vocal critics who chime in on every thread to bash Phoenix. The reason there is so much money there isn't because there is this vibrant 40 and younger population with these high paying white collar jobs. It's because they have a lot of wealthy snowbirds from the East Coast who spend a lot of money.

This is why I favor eliminating the state and corporate income tax. I know a lot of wealthy retirees who invest in the market at home and would prefer Arizona due to the lack of humidity but remain in Florida for the tax shelter. When I tell them I'm from Phoenix, they all say they want to move there but won't because of Florida's tax structure. That's the first thing they say "Oh Arizona, they still have income tax there right?" LOL

People fail to understand that snowbirds of yesterday are not like snowbirds of the future. They are totally different. Medicine and technology has allowed the elderly to live more productive lives. I know many 60 and 70 year olds who are very active and play the markets to occupy their time. These people buy 100K + luxury cars and spend a lot of money shopping and dining. They are not eating at cheap buffets, taking naps and just staring at a pool in a wheelchair. We need to stop stereotyping snowbirds as being these listless non-productive people.
Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 09:02 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Maverick, I am surprised to see these comments come from you! I remember you being a huge Phoenix supporter, if my memory serves me correctly?! What happened?
It's not the same poster. You are referring to Maverick974.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:41 PM

567 posts, read 787,644 times
We moved from Chicago in '73. We'd like to move to SoCal (where our business is), but I think I can be fair about Phoenix.

I first came for a few months in the early '60s. It was much smaller. In '73 it was a bit larger and a lot cleaner. Now, it really is LA, Jr. Yes, we have smog and a lot of traffic and corrupt politicians (and politically, Phoenix is too conservative to my taste), but there's still a lot of untouched land. Doesn't take much time to get out of here and into Mother Nature. We now have the heat island effect, so it gets very hot for a good portion of the year. It doesn't cool off much at night. However, we've got nice winters, and plenty of places in the mountains to ski or cool off a bit during the summer.

There may be 4 1/2 million people in the Phoenix area, but in many ways, it's still not like a big town. That's the best and worst of it. Not a lot of cultural activities like you'd find in Chicago, LA, or NY, but there's a nice laid-back quality to it.

Personally, we're in our 60s, and the heat's gotten harder to take as we've gotten older. We also miss the ocean. (I grew up on the lakefront.)

Chicago is a nice place to visit, but I'd never want to live there. I still think the Phoenix area is immeasurably better and a cleaner place to raise kids.

Tucson only has about a million people. Really has an Old West taste to it. Phoenix and Tucson are totally different.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
There may be 4 1/2 million people in the Phoenix area, but in many ways, it's still not like a big town. That's the best and worst of it. Not a lot of cultural activities like you'd find in Chicago, LA, or NY, but there's a nice laid-back quality to it.

Personally, we're in our 60s, and the heat's gotten harder to take as we've gotten older. We also miss the ocean. (I grew up on the lakefront.)

Chicago is a nice place to visit, but I'd never want to live there. I still think the Phoenix area is immeasurably better and a cleaner place to raise kids.

Tucson only has about a million people. Really has an Old West taste to it. Phoenix and Tucson are totally different.
I agree on most of these points. I do think that the Chigagoland area (or pretty much anywhere in the upper Midwest, Mid Atlantic, or Northeast) is a significantly better place to raise a family, however. To me Phoenix is great for singles, childless couples, and retirees. It's a pretty awful place for families (with bad public schools, horrible summer weather, little grass, and large cinder block walls around every yard).

Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
For me, Phoenix was a great place to raise a family. Yes, the public schools overall for the entire state are weak because there are many rural and poor areas that lack resources and have non-English speaking students that bring down test scores. However, in the Valley, there are many top private, charter and public schools particularly in decent neighborhoods. We've been fortunate that our children had access to some amazing schools that ranged from public and private. My children never had issues with the weather. In the summer, they went to multiple pool parties and trips to Sedona, Flagstaff and southern Arizona. In the winter time, our kids still got to go snow boarding over the weekend in Snowbowl and Sunrise while still being able to enjoy the warm weather when they drove back in town. They still played all the same sports in the summer that other kids except they could also do it in January and February. There are so many convenient elements to the city that make raising a family easy. There is available parking wherever you go. There is a Target, Walmart, Whole Foods, Fryes, Fresh Market, Sprouts, Trader Joes nearly everywhere you go. Even in other large upscale metros, you will have to drive a considerable distance to get to one of these areas. The healthcare has been excellent. It was not difficult to locate great pediatricians near our homes. We also have a great childrens hospital (now two childrens hospitals) in the city. My kids got to enjoy professional sports games in all 4 sports. The homes tend to have large lots and many are one story. The cost of living was low so things like diapers, formula, daycare, tutoring etc was always reasonable compared to other parts of the country. I can't think of many better places to raise a family.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:49 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I have a friend that made the move from Chicago to Phoenix after his brother made the move years before. He said Phoenix is so much better do to the climate, lifestyle, and lower taxes. His only regret is not making the move sooner.

About the job prospects, yes the pay is less on average than Chicago or my city (Seattle) but so is the cost of living. I would say that you have to hustle a bit more to make a good living in Phoenix but I know many that do very well there and made their money in Phoenix. My take is that the lifestyle is not driven to make money as much as you see in Chicago or Seattle. It's more of an enjoying lifestyle.

I bought 3 homes in Phoenix that I'm renting and plan to move into one of them in the next 2 years to live the lifestyle I want. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I have a friend that made the move from Chicago to Phoenix after his brother made the move years before. He said Phoenix is so much better do to the climate, lifestyle, and lower taxes.
If one is looking for a more relaxed atmosphere, mild winters, less traffic and taxes, then Phoenix is ideal. But for someone who craves big city living, Phoenix is the ultimate nightmare. It all depends on what one wants in life.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoore450 View Post
I'm currently live in Chicago and thinking of making the move to Phoenix... I am a married man with 4 children so I'm looking for a good area to raise them. Need good schools and kid friendly area. As for myself I looking for work in the automotive field.. As for recreation parks, lakes, fishing and is there an auto scene down...
Hello Amoor450,

I am also considering this same transition. Single mother, two kids, currently working on relocation with my current employer. Recently graduated with my MBA in Finance. I just need a better place to stay where I can raise my kids. Yes, i've heard comments about AZ cost of living is less expensive, and great place to raise kids, schools are great. So i will be traveling to venture and explore more of the Gilbert, AZ area, some of my colleagues say this is the best place for families.

I apologize, i dont know of any automotive positions but i dont mind sharing if i come across something in this field of work.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:13 PM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
Default Moving from Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoore450 View Post
I'm currently live in Chicago and thinking of making the move to Phoenix... I am a married man with 4 children so I'm looking for a good area to raise them. Need good schools and kid friendly area. As for myself I looking for work in the automotive field.. As for recreation parks, lakes, fishing and is there an auto scene down...
Don't listen to the nay sayers - there are plenty of people from Chicago here and they love it. AZ is not so cheap anymore - but still much better than other states - most people move here for quality of life - the cost is just icing on the cake!

Don't know if you mean auto jobs like in the raceway - see link (IndyCar Race Weekend: Phoenix Grand Prix - Phoenix International Raceway) they have some jobs listed on this site in Avondale - there are also of course plenty of car dealerships, manufacturing, etc.

It's a big decision to make to move your family - best of luck!
Maha

Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALO81 View Post
Hello Amoor450,

I am also considering this same transition. Single mother, two kids, currently working on relocation with my current employer. Recently graduated with my MBA in Finance. I just need a better place to stay where I can raise my kids. Yes, i've heard comments about AZ cost of living is less expensive, and great place to raise kids, schools are great. So i will be traveling to venture and explore more of the Gilbert, AZ area, some of my colleagues say this is the best place for families.

I apologize, i dont know of any automotive positions but i dont mind sharing if i come across something in this field of work.

The COL in Phoenix is a bit better than Chicago proper, but comparable to Chicago's burbs, not much difference. The big difference youll see are the property taxes here are much lower. As for schools, most of AZ's schools are horrible, usually rated worst or second worst in the entire nation. Be sure to check out the district your children will be attending first! Good luck with your move! Do your best to conserve water when youre here, and keep our streets free of litter. We pride ourselves on how clean it is here, and we'd like to keep it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area