Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,207 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to buying a home before the year ends in either san tan valley or Queek creek areas as this will be closer to where I work in a hospital in Gilbert/power. I live in Ahwatukee currently. I have two boys and one will start kindergarten next year and of course wanted to move somewhere near where the school rate is at least 8 to 9 (according to greatschool.com).

My question is, when I checked if the address of the home I am interested in is under the jurisdiction of the school I am interested in, even though it looks like it was not too far from the address, it does not service the home address but is being serviced by a 5 or less rated schools. Are they really strict as far as not accepting kids not in the school jurisdiction? I read Combs Traditional Academy, Desert Mountain Elementary school, Jack Barnes Elementary school, Eduprize school. I am eyeing this home for sale in W South Butte Road, Queen Creek to start.

For my other question, which area in queen creek/san tan where there is at least a "strip" area of amenities/stores to go to or going from one store to another will take a trip drive and all spread out?....I am talking about the usual frys, walmart, target and some restaurants....Also are there any kid friendly areas like parks and the like for the kids to do?

Any ideas, advise is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:54 PM

41 posts, read 69,039 times
The town of QC will have all the basic amenities (Walmart, Target, Home Depot, more restuarants, more shopping, etc). The main shopping area in QC has Target, Dollar Store, Ross, a sporting store, Petsmart, Bevmo, Ulta, Sallys, etc and Walmart, Staples, Petco are about across the street. STV does have Walmart, Walgreens & 2 Frys though not right next door to each other, but depending where you buy a home we are a short drive (7ish mins) to QC shopping.

QC schools are ranked better than STV schools, however STV has plenty of charter school options all that rank well - Eduprize being one of them which ranks an A+.

QC is Maricopa county. STV is pinal county (for the most part). STV is also unincorporated which means we have no city police department (we rely on the county) or fire service (you have to subscribe to Rural Metro) but not sure how much that matters to you.

I live in STV (near Ocotillo and Ironwood/Gantzel) and we love it in our neighborhood. I would suggest the farther north and west you are in STV the nicer the areas tend to be (near the Ironwood/Ocotillo area).

When I pull up South Butte Rd on a map it shows it is in San Tan Heights. I'm not sure if there is another South Butte Rd in the Town of QC, but many websites list areas of STV as Queen Creek since we are unincorporated. If that house you like is in STH, Eduprize is in that same neighborhood and just outside the neighborhood is Walmart, a Freddy's, dentist, Starbucks, QT with Frys being about 5 mins down the road.

As for things to do, not much for teens yet, though we are said to be getting a movie theater out here soon. But for the little ones we have plenty of parks, biking paths and we are right by the San Tan Mountain Regional park. And depending on the neighborhood you would choose, some offer more like community pools, splash pads, etc.

You may want to come out to the area you are looking at and take the drive from there to your place of work and see how the drive is. While our roads are getting widened, we don't have many alternative ways to get in and out of here and traffic can be less than enjoyable

Otherwise, it's a great safe area in general! Good luck

Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Hi WI2AZ,

Thank you so much for that reply, just the information I need to add on to my research.

Just a follow up question, can I safely say that even if the school is not under the scope of coverage for a particular home address can I still enroll my kids? I am still searching for homes and would like to be around a good rated school for my kids. I just don't understand when I search the home I like and the search for school turn out that it does not cover the home address I am interested in even if it is not too far from each other. That actually confuses me.

Which neighborhood/community has the most family/kid-friendly amenity in santan/queen creek? Like community pool, park, splash pads and the like...

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 PM

41 posts, read 69,039 times
It is confusing! LOL

If you are out of QC limits yet want to be in QC schools there has usually been a long waiting list.

If you are in STV and want to go to another school in STV, chances are they will make that work. STV also has 2 different districts - the JO Combs district and the Florence Unified school district.

Chances are though, that if you choose a school that is not in your district, you may not have bussing. I don't know if that matters to you or not. Most neighborhoods out here though, have kids that go to all different schools so it could be quite possibly to find a carpool with someone.

I drive my kids to Eduprize every day (which from me is about 8 miles each way), but I do not work so this isn't a problem for me.

Ironwood Crossings (Ironwood/Ocotillo) has nice parks as well as a nice pool/waterpark type thing and is a great neighborhood. Houses tend to be a teeny bit more expensive there and the HOA fee is higher because of the pool.

I live in Pecan Creek South and we have no pool (so lower HOA), but we have a great biking path that includes workout stations along it, a big park with volleyball and basketball courts, they just started building a baseball diamond, plus we have little tot lots around the hood.

Most neighborhoods are just variations of these - some having basic pools, some having little splash pads, etc.

In the Anthem community (which is farther south and now a part of the town of Florence) they have a huge waterpark, soccer and baseball fields, a big park, a big community center for all sorts of kids and adult activities, plenty of tot lots, etc). It is a beautiful area, but is quite a ways out there (this coming from someone who lives in STV

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me

Old 10-13-2014, 11:55 PM

Thank you so much again. It's always nice to have info from folks that actually are living and expetiencing the local area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area