Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 PM

7,310 posts, read 12,250,593 times

Advertisements

Compared to Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa, transit service in Chandler and Gilbert is quite minimal, and non-existent in Queen Creek. Heck, Glendale and even Scottsdale (probably the most anti-transit city in the Valley) have more transit service than Chandler and Gilbert.

Does anyone think there should be more transit service in Chandler, Gilbert, and Queen Creek? I personally think there should be. For Queen Creek, I would like the idea of extending Route 184 (Power Road) further south to serve Queen Creek Marketplace. For Chandler and Gilbert, I think there should be bus routes along McQueen, Cooper, Val Vista, Greenfield, and Higley, and an extension of route 77 (Baseline) all the way to Superstition Springs Mall. In the long run, I would like light rail service into Chandler and Gilbert.

In a past thread, I came up with an idea for certain light rail routes. (Please don't repeat the old thread's OP. People can go find it.)

While the light rail ideas may not ever happen, the bus route expansion I think is a must have. What does anyone here think?

Last edited by observer53; 10-15-2014 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,242,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Compared to Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa, transit service in Chandler and Gilbert is quite minimal, and non-existent in Queen Creek. Heck, Glendale and even Scottsdale (probably the most anti-transit city in the Valley) have more transit service than Chandler and Gilbert.

Does anyone think there should be more transit service in Chandler, Gilbert, and Queen Creek? I personally think there should be. For Queen Creek, I would like the idea of extending Route 184 (Power Road) further south to serve Queen Creek Marketplace. For Chandler and Gilbert, I think there should be bus routes along McQueen, Cooper, Val Vista, Greenfield, and Higley, and an extension of route 77 (Baseline) all the way to Superstition Springs Mall. In the long run, I would like light rail service into Chandler and Gilbert.

In a past thread, I came up with an idea for certain light rail routes.

While the light rail ideas may not ever happen, the bus route expansion I think is a must have. What does anyone here think?
I can't speak for other parts of the valley but you're not gonna see a bunch of people in my area of South Chandler riding a bus to downtown gilbert or really anywhere else for that matter. most people here have 3 cars and we love driving our own big SUVs. there'd be a bunch of empty buses rolling around if your idea ever came to fruition, sorry bro.

Last edited by observer53; 10-14-2014 at 11:09 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 11:02 PM

44 posts, read 53,387 times
Buses are a feasible option. I know my coworkers in the exurbs would ride a shuttle type bus if there were decent connections. Traffic will become more unbearable and as these cities (especially Chandler) attract more urban minded young professionals transit options must be offered to remain competitive.

Slightly off topic:
Did you end up making a map in the past thread? I remember reading it but don't recall a visual. Link if so? if not you should.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times
I don't see any real demand for buses running up and down those north south streets. The 108 route on Elliot already goes to Superstition Springs. I doubt there's demand for Rte 77 to do it too.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyButtons View Post
Buses are a feasible option. I know my coworkers in the exurbs would ride a shuttle type bus if there were decent connections. Traffic will become more unbearable and as these cities (especially Chandler) attract more urban minded young professionals transit options must be offered to remain competitive.

Slightly off topic:
Did you end up making a map in the past thread? I remember reading it but don't recall a visual. Link if so? if not you should.
No, I didn't make a map (it would have taken forever to draw and ensure accuracy of the routes). However, in that thread I did give turn-by-turn directions (although I modified some of the routes later in that thread).

Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't see any real demand for buses running up and down those north south streets. The 108 route on Elliot already goes to Superstition Springs. I doubt there's demand for Rte 77 to do it too.
Actually, I would think that Baseline might actually have more demand than Elliot. In Tempe, Route 77 has one of the highest boardings per mile within the city limits (a lot higher than Elliot), and an extension would serve a significant catchment area along the Mesa/Gilbert border. Also note that now that the Tempe and Mesa divisions are unified, both facilities can be used to more efficiently run such route (there are already two trips out of the Mesa facility on weekdays on the 77).

As for the north-south routes, note that in Mesa there are routes along Mesa Drive and Stapley Drive. I think those routes can easily be extended via McQueen and Cooper, respectively.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,967,230 times
Those areas are just way too suburban for large scale public transit to be effective. The Valley is meant for automobiles period. Taking a bus is just too much of an inconvenience for the majority of residents which is why there is no demand for extended bus service in those areas because no one is going to utilize it.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:17 AM

541 posts, read 1,723,527 times
No demand or need for the buses in these areas. Don't think it is needed at this time. Probably more expensive to drive the busses to these areas to maybe pick up one or two people. Kind of a waste.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Actually, I would think that Baseline might actually have more demand than Elliot. In Tempe, Route 77 has one of the highest boardings per mile within the city limits (a lot higher than Elliot), and an extension would serve a significant catchment area along the Mesa/Gilbert border. Also note that now that the Tempe and Mesa divisions are unified, both facilities can be used to more efficiently run such route (there are already two trips out of the Mesa facility on weekdays on the 77).

As for the north-south routes, note that in Mesa there are routes along Mesa Drive and Stapley Drive. I think those routes can easily be extended via McQueen and Cooper, respectively.

How far south? Do you really think people in those areas are going to take the bus from Chandler to Gilbert or Mesa to go shopping or run other errands? If they had service, it would not run oftener than every thirty minutes, or more. The east west buses that exist now don't run any oftener. No one is going to take that kind of time to coordinate their schedule. It's one thing to use the bus for long distances east west or north south, or for regular commuting, but it's quite another thing to get people out of their cars to navigate around their area on buses. It's a nice pie in the sky idea, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

How much time do YOU spend riding the bus or even trying to plan a trip from point A to point B on local buses and see how long it takes? I'm a proponent and regular user of public transit, but I'm also a realist.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:10 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,486,275 times
I'm not so sure about the need for more transit service in Queen Creek excpet perhaps a few express busses in the morning and afternoons.

Public transit is mostly for the areas with a higher population and a demand for it.

I can see a need for increased transit service in Chandler and maybe parts of Gilbert, they have the population and demand.

Queen Creek is still a little too sparse for any significant increase in service, it might be a Phoenix suburb but it's a very very distant suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area