Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 12:45 AM

191 posts, read 560,082 times

Advertisements

Hello. I would like to hear from those of you who live in one of the above areas. How do you like it? Pros? Cons? My husband and I are considering moving. We are in our mid 40's with no human kids. Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I moved out of Ahwatukee a while back after many years. It got too congested for my liking. Overall, Ahwatukee is a nice place to live - affluent, safe and good schools, services and shopping. Other than the congestion, the only knock I have on the place is it looks a little "dated" compared to new developments. Much of Ahwatukee went up when architectural imagination was at a minimum. Ahwatukee has endless tracts of houses with the same red tile roofs, beige stucco, roll curbs and garages that give parts of it the character of a mini-storage facility. The newer cities on the west side, at least, now ban such developments and require tree-lined strips between homes and roads, a different paint scheme on adjacent houses and offer least some homes with side entry garages. The problem in the newer developments is the oversized two-story box on a tiny, tiny lot. At least the older parts of Ahwatukee are mostly one-story and slightly larger lots. Pick your poison, I guess.

As for Tempe, it varies. There are nice places and dumpy places.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Agree, Tempe is hard because part is by ASU.(north) Students and parties. Mid-way dumpy and barrios. South Tempe is pretty good. Awatukee and Chandler (85226) right next to Awatukee are better. It only takes about 10min to get through both so you could live in Chandler and work easily in Tempe or Awatukee but it's a little cheaper. Nice amenities, mall, restaurants, etc.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM

183 posts, read 286,753 times
uhh what barrios are in Tempe???

Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
uhh what barrios are in Tempe???
I've seen some but I have seen barrios in all the burbs here.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 PM

225 posts, read 962,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I moved out of Ahwatukee a while back after many years. It got too congested for my liking. Overall, Ahwatukee is a nice place to live - affluent, safe and good schools, services and shopping. Other than the congestion, the only knock I have on the place is it looks a little "dated" compared to new developments. Much of Ahwatukee went up when architectural imagination was at a minimum. Ahwatukee has endless tracts of houses with the same red tile roofs, beige stucco, roll curbs and garages that give parts of it the character of a mini-storage facility. The newer cities on the west side, at least, now ban such developments and require tree-lined strips between homes and roads, a different paint scheme on adjacent houses and offer least some homes with side entry garages. The problem in the newer developments is the oversized two-story box on a tiny, tiny lot. At least the older parts of Ahwatukee are mostly one-story and slightly larger lots. Pick your poison, I guess.
I feel this describes most of Phoenix and not just Ahwautukee. Even in Scottsdale around McDowell Mountain Ranch and areas around 83rd and Shea, the homes are expensive but look the same. I haven't really noticed any exceptions on the west side either. Arrowhead has the same stucco, red roof tiled homes with similar floor plans. Peoria near Thomas and the 101 by Banner Estrella hospital has the same look.

I'm responding because that aspect bothers me about the homes in Phoenix too. The interiors are what make the homes nice in Phoenix but the exteriors are very cookie cutter. Maybe I should look into the west side when coming back. Are their neighborhoods that have unique styles? I noticed that Ocotillo had some unique features but were very expensive. The same goes for Fountain Hills. I was just under the impression that if you want a house that has a unqiue exterior, you have to essentially buy a plot of land and build a home. This is one nice feature about Houston. The homes are not cookie cutter and they have unique looks with brick and other materials instead of just stucco.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM

225 posts, read 962,281 times
I think Ahwautukee is a nice area and I would recommend it. When I moved out of Phoenix, they were in the process of completing the 202 freeway. Prior to that, Ahwautukee was really congested. It would take people a long time to get to the freeway based on what friends have told me. Since the creation of the 202, I've been told the congestion has been almost eliminated entirely. It's one of the nicer neighborhoods in Phoenix and doesn't really have any poor areas. Chandler has some really nice areas but they also have some poorer areas.

I would agree with Nick. I think the use of the word barrio is a strong term. I live in Houston and we have true barrios. Most places in the valley don't have barrios of this nature. They might have some poor areas but they aren't really barrios. Mesa, Glendale and Phoenix have barrios but I think it's a stretch to say that any of the other cities have what most would define to be a true barrio.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I feel this describes most of Phoenix and not just Ahwautukee. Even in Scottsdale around McDowell Mountain Ranch and areas around 83rd and Shea, the homes are expensive but look the same. I haven't really noticed any exceptions on the west side either. Arrowhead has the same stucco, red roof tiled homes with similar floor plans. Peoria near Thomas and the 101 by Banner Estrella hospital has the same look.

I'm responding because that aspect bothers me about the homes in Phoenix too. The interiors are what make the homes nice in Phoenix but the exteriors are very cookie cutter. Maybe I should look into the west side when coming back. Are their neighborhoods that have unique styles? I noticed that Ocotillo had some unique features but were very expensive. The same goes for Fountain Hills. I was just under the impression that if you want a house that has a unique exterior, you have to essentially buy a plot of land and build a home. This is one nice feature about Houston. The homes are not cookie cutter and they have unique looks with brick and other materials instead of just stucco.
Don't read too much into my remarks. I don't think you will find the diversity you want except maybe in Verrado, but even there it is pretty much earth tones and stucco. In the 1990s EVERY house here was painted Navaho white and had a very red tile roof. In the last five years or so there has been a move toward olives, dark browns, and red tones in home painting and liberal (and sometimes overdone) use of faux stone facades and trim. Tile roofs are rarely red anymore coming in varied shades of mottled earth tones. Also, the number of models in the typical subdivision/development has increased over the years. In the 1990s maybe there were four or five. Today there can be twice that with numerous elevations. City ordinances and HOA rules do not allow two adjacent houses to have the same elevation or paint scheme - a far cry from the 90s. They may still look the same, particulary to one who is used to a different style (I think all new tract houses in the east look alike ), but you don't have to use the garage door opener to find your house like I used to in Ahwatukee.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,398 times
Question Arizona's best spot

Excluding Prescott where are the really nice places to live in Arizona? No children just dogs, I am not old enough to play shuffleboard BUT I have heard there are some very nice adut boomer communities for people who are retired but still are very active. I do NOT play golf. Your correct, I do not like golf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area