Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 02:22 PM

77 posts, read 98,979 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I lived in the valley for years and years, but in 08' moved to Alaska. My job here allows me to live just about anywhere I want, so the valley has been on my mind. We did go and rent a place in Maricopa from Oct- Mar a couple years ago. I loved being out of the city congestion, but was surprised by the pirce of montly utilities. They were extremely high. Can anyone tell me if that's how it is in the San Tan Valley area (Queen Creek) and Casa Grande. I'm comparing the two locations. I want to be out of the city but close enough to go into the city for entertainment (sports, concerts etc). I just don't want to get shocked by really high utility costs.

I know a lot of the costs will have to do with the size of the home, the age of the home, grass yard vs. desert landscape etc. So lets just say a 2000 sq' home, 4 bedroom, w grass yard.

Any info and insight (pro's and con's etc)would be great as well.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 03:02 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
For electricity, Casa Grande is served by Arizona Public Service (APS), while San Tan Valley is served by Salt River Project (SRP). Historically SRP is cheaper than APS, however, there are seasonal adjustments in electric costs. Note that if you have a pool, you could save some money on a time-of-use plan, where the pump can be run in off-peak hours.

For gas, Casa Grande is served by Southwest Gas, while San Tan Valley is served by the City of Mesa gas utility (who purchased the former Magma utility). I think SW Gas might be slightly cheaper, but I am not 100% sure.

For water, Casa Grande is served by Arizona Water Company. San Tan Valley is split between Johnson Utilities (southern portion) and the Town of Queen Creek water utility (northern portion, formerly H2O Inc.). Not sure how each compare in price.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
For electricity, Casa Grande is served by Arizona Public Service (APS), while San Tan Valley is served by Salt River Project (SRP). Historically SRP is cheaper than APS, however, there are seasonal adjustments in electric costs. Note that if you have a pool, you could save some money on a time-of-use plan, where the pump can be run in off-peak hours.

For gas, Casa Grande is served by Southwest Gas, while San Tan Valley is served by the City of Mesa gas utility (who purchased the former Magma utility). I think SW Gas might be slightly cheaper, but I am not 100% sure.

For water, Casa Grande is served by Arizona Water Company. San Tan Valley is split between Johnson Utilities (southern portion) and the Town of Queen Creek water utility (northern portion, formerly H2O Inc.). Not sure how each compare in price.
COuld you give a guesstimate in monthly price for the size of home I listed?
Thanks,
Ryan

Old 11-01-2014, 03:15 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant73 View Post
COuld you give a guesstimate in monthly price for the size of home I listed?
Thanks,
Ryan
All that depends on the amount of insulation, presence of a radiant barrier, SEER/EER of the air conditioner, gas furnace vs. heat pump, orientation of the house, and presence of a pool. To give a general estimate would be virtually impossible without knowing the specifications of the house. Most of your utility costs will occur in cooling season, as electricity rates are generally higher that time of year.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:19 PM

639 posts, read 971,133 times
Do a google search on Johnson Utilities. They are not highly regarded in STV.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
All that depends on the amount of insulation, presence of a radiant barrier, SEER/EER of the air conditioner, gas furnace vs. heat pump, orientation of the house, and presence of a pool. To give a general estimate would be virtually impossible without knowing the specifications of the house. Most of your utility costs will occur in cooling season, as electricity rates are generally higher that time of year.
That's why I asked for a guesstimate. If I was asked what the utilities cost for a 1800 sq 4 bed 2.5 bath w/ desert landscape w/ 3 kids. I could guesstimate that electric would be around 175-225 and water would be about the same. Cause that's what our lowest month cost in maricopa for what I just described. I just want to know if electric and water in those two area's are really high like they are in maricopa.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area