Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 03:30 AM

18 posts, read 27,999 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I joined this forum around 10 days ago thinking I had a job at a well-known golf course in Scottsdale. It seems the person who told me that I had the job has changed his mind and needs someone immediately, which is understandable.

Either way, your answers and my research has made me even more interested in moving to the Phoenix area. If the "job" hadn't called, then I may have just forgotten about the idea of living in Arizona. So, thanks to them too.

When is the busy season out there for golf vacationers? I assume it begins in January and ends in March, maybe even April.

I'm thinking about driving to Phoenix in mid-January and winging it. I've discovered plenty of places renting rooms by the week and month. If after 1 month I do not have a job at a golf course, then I'll drive back to where I came from.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies to my previous topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 08:12 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifaro View Post
Hi,

I joined this forum around 10 days ago thinking I had a job at a well-known golf course in Scottsdale. It seems the person who told me that I had the job has changed his mind and needs someone immediately, which is understandable.

Either way, your answers and my research has made me even more interested in moving to the Phoenix area. If the "job" hadn't called, then I may have just forgotten about the idea of living in Arizona. So, thanks to them too.

When is the busy season out there for golf vacationers? I assume it begins in January and ends in March, maybe even April.

I'm thinking about driving to Phoenix in mid-January and winging it. I've discovered plenty of places renting rooms by the week and month. If after 1 month I do not have a job at a golf course, then I'll drive back to where I came from.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies to my previous topics.
It begins in November and ends in early May. The three busiest months are February through April because the weather is perfect during that time. I'm glad you like the Valley (Phoenix metro). You will discover as so many do that the city is not nearly as doom and gloom as you read on this forum. Happy people usually don't post. It's usually the ones that have a bone to pick that usually rant about how bad a place is.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'd say January is a perfect time to arrive. Courses may be looking for someone as they enter the very busy period of February - April.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:38 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
I would come sooner than Jan. By Jan all the jobs will be filled. Didn't your perspective employer say he needed someone now? The snowbirds are coming back in droves (early this year) and the recent snowfalls in the Midwest and East will only accelerate the migration.

Golf of course hits it big in January with the Waste Management Phoenix Open on Jan 26, 2015, but there will be lots of golfers here before the open.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:51 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
The core snowbird season is considered to be January-March.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:08 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Start packing your bags already. The true "snowbirds" are here already.

Some come Oct - April and others come Nov - May.
Those are the mid-western folks who come for 6 months out of the year.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
I've noticed a lot of out of state plates running around already. Don't remember seeing them this early in the past.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 AM

Thanks again for the replies. I'm writing from Hilton Head Island, SC. We are a golf vacation destination just like Scottsdale, but not as many courses. We also get snowbirds and part-time residents. They usually start arriving now and stay until March or so.

However, our golf season is winding down. It is getting chillier here in the mornings, but the afternoons are nice. Either way, another 2 weeks or so and then the holidays are upon us = not as many vacationers here just to golf. Our golf season picks up again in March if the weather is nice and definitely in April.

With that being typed, I'd say Arizona is more similar to Florida where it is 10 degrees warmer than SC. Down there, the snowbirds are probably arriving now too.

Unfortunately, the best time for me to arrive is mid-January. If I had the other job, I would have cancelled a cruise on the NCL Epic. Did you know that NCL has offices in Phoenix? That is where my "cruise consultant" is located.

Either way, I'm focusing on 3 or 4 clubs and hope they remember my name when I get there.

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:20 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I would come sooner than Jan. By Jan all the jobs will be filled. Didn't your perspective employer say he needed someone now? The snowbirds are coming back in droves (early this year) and the recent snowfalls in the Midwest and East will only accelerate the migration.

Golf of course hits it big in January with the Waste Management Phoenix Open on Jan 26, 2015, but there will be lots of golfers here before the open.
Very true. A high of 28 degrees in MN next week! I'm heading to AZ today.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
MN, IA, IL, CO, MT, NB, SD, ID, WA, OR, MI... Im seeing tons of those plates around lately, theyre early this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area