Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,900,171 times

Advertisements

I live downtown and I see just as many, if not more, panhandlers and tweekers in tempe as I do here. I have researched rents of downtown vs. tempe for several months and have found them to be similar. They both have high-rent high-rise places as well as cheaper apartments. Downtown might be just a bit less expensive. I feel that I could happily live in either location but I really enjoy living downtown (Roosevelt historic district).

As far as jobs, my wife and I had an easy experience finding very good jobs, really the best jobs we've ever had, in a short amount of time after arriving here. That being said, we are older and experienced in specialized fields. We moved from Louisville, which is not known for a high col, and have found it to be even cheaper to live here. Couple that with a significant pay raise for both of us and it feels as if our move was meant to be. We love it here.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 13,106 times
Kytoaz, Thank you for your reply. That really helps as my wife and I really liked downtown. The DC area is really expensive and I don't think finding a job will be hard for us either. I am also looking to go back to school. ASU is close enough to meet that need.

Last edited by BD711; 11-04-2014 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,900,171 times
My wife works at ASU Tempe and takes the light rail and absolutely loves it. There is also a free shuttle for ASU students/faculty that runs every thirty minutes from tempe/downtown/and west valet campuses.
Downtown Phoenix will not be as urban as D.C., but it might be as close as you get here.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Nice! sounds good. Thanks

Old 11-05-2014, 02:29 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,195,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD711 View Post
Hi Everyone my name is Brandon. My fiancé and I fell in love with Phoenix when we went for a visit. We currently live in Maryland. We are getting married July 2015 and we are looking to relocate to Phoenix. What advice would you give to a young couple who is moving across the USA to start their lives together? I am currently in the IT field and have amounted a great deal of experience. She has a degree in Media technology. We are both in our Mid to late 20's with no children and this is a great time we believe in our lives leave our families and spread our wings. We have looked at Scottsdale, Tempe and downtown Phoenix. What would you guys say is the most affordable? We look forward to your help. Thank you all very much for your time

Brandon & Danielle
Scottsdale would be the most expensive ... but it sounds like it might be more suitable for you than Tempe, being that you are both young professionals with no kids. Tempe is more for the younger college age crowd. Downtown Phoenix would be OK, but it depends on what you are looking for (a house in a historic district, a condo, etc.). I'd recommend specifically the Scottsdale areas of Old Town, downtown, or possibly Kierland in the northern part. Remember that you often get what you pay for, and a home is an investment. A Scottsdale address wouldn't be cheap, but it would likely get you a larger return on your investment in the long run.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Valley Native,
Thanks that was very informative for sure. Do you know anything about Tucson? I know that's quite a distance away but my Job currently has an office there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area