Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 12:21 PM

59 posts, read 246,643 times

Advertisements

I am a Guidance Counselor in NYC. I wanted impressions from educators on what the Phoenix Public Schools are like. Are the schools generally organized well? What are the responsibilities of a Guidance Counselor there (since it seems to vary so much place to place).

I was wondering if any teachers or counselors could tell me around how much health insurance would be monthly for my husband and I if I decided to move to Phoenix.

Is there a teachers Union? If not, are working conditions acceptable without them? If there's another school district that you could suggest in AZ?

Thank you for any insights you can give me. It is appreciated. Have a Happy New Year .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:20 PM

72 posts, read 253,019 times
There are several districts within the Phoenix Metro area.

benefits differe from district to district.

Are you looking for a guidance counselor position or a teaching position?

There are opportunities to join teachers unions on a district, state and national level.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I am looking for a counseling position. Could you tell me what the schools are like in your perception. How are they organized? etc. Thanks so much

Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times
I've only worked at secondary schools, so you may want to ignore me if you're elementary. In high schools, the counselors are paid the same as teachers (this is different in many other states). They counselors usually deal with schedules, mediating between teachers and students/families, and referring students to different services (special ed, psychology, esl, etc.) when needed. I've worked/volunteered in four high schools and it was the same at each. The schools are not very organized here in general, but this varies greatly from district to district. The districts with the most growth will be less organized simply because they can't keep up with the demands. They do, however, have more advancement opportunities.

Consider ASU or Maricopa community colleges.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Thanks JCO. I am high school level. That was helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area