Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:58 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Those are just small burgers and way too gourmet. Guacamole on a slider is beyond sacrilege. The key to a real deal slider is the onions cooked on the flat top with the burger. Soft bun, greasy beef cooked on onions and cheese. Maybe pickles and mustard.

Damn. Now I'm hungry.

Wow. That just killed my appetite!

Interesting topic!

Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
When I was a child in Livonia in the early 60's, I remember a place at 8 Mile and Grand River that had sliders. I swear that it was called Bray's, not Brayz. To confuse things more, I looked on Google Maps and see that there is a White Castle there now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...f627ae7b3f3f2d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
When I was a child in Livonia in the early 60's, I remember a place at 8 Mile and Grand River that had sliders. I swear that it was called Bray's, not Brayz. To confuse things more, I looked on Google Maps and see that there is a White Castle there now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...f627ae7b3f3f2d
Was it Bates'? We used to go to one at 9 and Middlebelt.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bates-hambur...rmington-hills

Old 11-10-2014, 07:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Quote:
Was it Bates'? We used to go to one at 9 and Middlebelt.

Bates Hamburgers of Farmington Hills - Farmington Hills, MI | Yelp
Pretty sure about Bray's. I just did a little research and apparently Brayz and Bray's have a common lineage with different family members going in their own directions. There turns out to be a Bray's in Westland. The original was in Garden City and they were once all over the place.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:46 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Pretty sure about Bray's. I just did a little research and apparently Brayz and Bray's have a common lineage with different family members going in their own directions. There turns out to be a Bray's in Westland. The original was in Garden City and they were once all over the place.
That's absolutely correct. The Brayz was the "offshoot" of sorts, connected by family but not in a business sense.

I should apologize for the use of "true" in reference to the sliders...I originally started the post as "True Detroit style sliders", but then it occurred to me that it's likely not a Detroit specific creation, and didn't want to limit myself to only familiar with Detroit burgers. Apparently I didn't edit well enough, lol.

DetroitN8V has it though - what I'm searching for isn't just the mini burger, which a lot of people confuse them with as so many restaurants just sell downsized "normal" burgers as sliders. It's a very different taste and experience when they're cooked on the flat top over the onions, and as ElleTea noted - many people would likely find them disgusting on appearance alone. Even at home, I tend to put burgers on a flat top far more often than grilling them now. In fact, one of my best friends since High School had never experienced one until a couple years ago, and when I first showed her one, her reaction was similar - "How could you even think about those things?!?!? That's gotta be one of the most disgusting looking foods I've ever seen!" She's now nearly addicted to the things Plus, at least at Telway, $5 did a good job of filling me up on burgers, fries and coffee

White Castles/Krystals is very similar, at least in the way they're cooked, but you can tell they're using fast food style burger meat whereas Telway, Bray's/Bray'z/Greene's/etc are using straight up beef. Kind of like the difference between fast food and normal restaurant burgers. I've tried the grocery store frozen White Castles, and I'll admit, the Jalapeno Cheeseburger variety is pretty close, albeit a bit pricey. It's enough to keep the cravings at bay so I don't feel the need to hop a plane to St. Louis occasionally just for some White Castle burgers, lol.

I'm going to take a ride down to Chicago Burgers soon to see what they have, and although it's not what I'm looking for, the little guys at Chompie's do look pretty tasty as well. I'll add them to the "to try" list as well

Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,428 times
Aside from the semantic debate, IMO Chicago's, while ok, still doesn't compare to the likes of a Top Hat slider in Detroit (back in the day)
I found Chicago's to be mostly bun and fairly dry patties. If you find anything better please be sure to let us know!

Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Those are just small burgers and way too gourmet. Guacamole on a slider is beyond sacrilege. The key to a real deal slider is the onions cooked on the flat top with the burger. Soft bun, greasy beef cooked on onions and cheese. Maybe pickles and mustard.

Damn. Now I'm hungry.

LOL really? From THAT? Looks like a standard McDonalds Hamburger, 2 cheap buns pressed together and a little something that may be meat inside, can't tell

Old 11-14-2014, 02:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
LOL really? From THAT? Looks like a standard McDonalds Hamburger, 2 cheap buns pressed together and a little something that may be meat inside, can't tell
It's part nostalgia, part damn tasty food. You can smell the onions cooking from a mile away. The way the onions steam the beef and the bun is unique and the result is nothing even close to McD's.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,646 times
I stopped by Chicago Burger yesterday to try their sliders....not exactly what I was looking for, but a heck of a lot closer than what the typical restaurant servers as a slider.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll likely just have to start making them at home to get what I want, lol, and have something to look forward to if I ever lose my mind sufficiently enough to go back to Michigan...

Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 PM

116 posts, read 284,745 times
Default Yum! Belly Bombs

Love White Castle! Have not found anything like it here to date. The frozen cheeseburgers will have to do for now. Whenever I go back to MI, White Castle is a must stop place! Also miss National Coney Island, Jets Pizza, Sanders hot fudge, and Better Made barbecue potato chips. Still looking for good fresh Polish sausage here (think Dearborn Brand or Kowalski's) and Krakus Polish Ham lunch meat. Arrrrgghhhh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area