Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,218 times

Advertisements

Tivoil Gardens (623)974-8224

They Have two NW Valley Locations

I also know that there is a Italian Club
in Sun City

Sun City Arizona AZ: a GREAT place to visit, play & retire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,609 times
My parents live in northeast Tucson a few miles away from the old Bonanno family compound, guess if things got too hot in New York they would head out to Tucson. Don't know how many of them are still there, but I used to bump into a lot of Italians. There was even a pretty authentic Italian deli in the area.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
I don't think of the Italian-American population in Phoenix as one that is geographically clustered. Typically, this clustering happens only during the first and second generations after immigration and then later generations become so assimilated that they live everywhere and intermarry with people of other backgrounds.

That being said, I'll reiterate the recommendation of the Italian-American club on 12th St. I drive by this club often, but until I saw the mention in the previous post, it didn't occur to me.

As for Italian food, my currents favorites are Marcellino and Aiello's. Both are in North Central Phoenix and not far from the Italian-American Club. NCP is a diverse area with all types of people, including significant Jewish and Greek populations, and well-regarded schools. There's also an Italian deli I really like called Calabria. It's located in the Roosevelt neighborhood at the north end of Downtown, which is not a traditionally Italian area.

Last edited by exit2lef; 01-07-2008 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM

225 posts, read 962,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I don't think of the Italian-American population in Phoenix as one that is geographically clustered. Typically, this clustering happens only during the first and second generations after immigration and then later generations become so assimilated that they live everywhere and intermarry with people of other backgrounds.

That being said, I'll reiterate the recommendation of the Italian-American club on 12th St. I drive by this club often, but until I saw the mention in the previous post, it didn't occur to me.

As for Italian food, my currents favorites are Marcellino and Aiello's. Both are in North Central Phoenix and not far from the Italian-American Club. NCP is a diverse area with all types of people, including significant Jewish and Greek populations, and well-regarded schools. There's also an Italian deli I really like called Calabria. It's located in the Roosevelt neighborhood at the north end of Downtown, which is not a traditionally Italian area.

I second Marcellino. That restaurant is the real thing. The owner closes down in the summer to spend time in Italy ony to open back up in the fall. It's very authentic.

I also like a less authentic version called Oreganos. It's Chicago style Italian food so they make great pizza. Their pasta is great too even if it isn't that authentic

If you want the best pizza in the valley, go to Vito's in Glendale. It's the real thing. You have to carry out but the guys makes his own toppings like his sausage. The place is a hole in the wall so you have to carry out. He is closed on Sundays. The guy is from Chicago and is a true Sicilian. He and his wife own and run the place. It's just a mom and pop place that makes Chicago-style deep dish pizza. The owner is from Cicero in Chicago. Glendale may be far but if you are having a football party or friends over, you may consider ordering some pies in the morning and picking it up later. It's worth it.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 23,397 times
Default Lots of Good Italian Restaurants and Delis too

Hello! After much trial and error, I found the truly best homemade Italian food in the Phoenix metro area. Given that I was brought up on homemade Italian food from my great-grandmother (Bracallelo) and my grandmother, I'm pretty picky.

There is a great place that is diguised as a pizza joint in Chandler called La Famiglia. They are Italian immigrants who first set up shop in Brooklyn and then moved to Phoenix. Their pizza is pretty good, but their Italian dishes are outstanding!

Another good NY/Italian place is in Ahwatukee called That Italian Place. The chef is from Long Island and the food there is excellent as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Joe Pastori

Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,596 times
I can tell you that from what I know (we seriously looked into moving to Scottsdale) and from friends that live in Scottsdale & Phoenix - there is not an Italian presence like there is on the East Coast. I currently live in NY and have parents in Florida - both areas have pockets of Italians with real Italian pizzerias/delis and food items (like homemade ricotta, mozarella, cold italian sausage, homemade pastas, torrone, panetone etc). You start losing that as you go West - there is just less Italians out that way.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM

138 posts, read 600,105 times
There are 2 great Italian places on Cave Creek Rd. both South of Greenway. One on the West side of the Street and one on the East. Johnny's Pizza (or Dee's) on the East side of the street, is authentic Chicago Pizza. The other is an Italian restaurant with bakery and the family is pure Italian. The two grown up girls argue in Italian with the Mother. It's a hoot. One of the girls asked a friend of mine, who was having dinner with her new boyfriend, "I love your hair. Is it real?" and gave it a good tug! Love it! But seriously, great food and you feel like you're in a little neighborhood joint. HOWEVER, you do not want to live there as the community is high crime and just to the North is part of "The Square" known for a high level of illegals, bad apartments and housing, and gunfire at night. Again, a great place to visit, but not to live.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
I can tell you that from what I know (we seriously looked into moving to Scottsdale) and from friends that live in Scottsdale & Phoenix - there is not an Italian presence like there is on the East Coast. I currently live in NY and have parents in Florida - both areas have pockets of Italians with real Italian pizzerias/delis and food items (like homemade ricotta, mozarella, cold italian sausage, homemade pastas, torrone, panetone etc). You start losing that as you go West - there is just less Italians out that way.
Actually; there are quite a few people of partial Italian heritage here in the West------just that the 'outmarriage' rate is extremely high

My G/F is one; two of her grandparents were from Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area