Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,833 times

Advertisements

PLEASE sight legislation which supports your arguments that reflective covers are illegal. When the AZ senate tried to ban these covers in the law SB 1414 (48th legislature, session 2008) it failed to pass. The fact that the quasi judges in civil court, who's salaries are paid out of ticket fines, say they're illegal doesn't mean they are correct. Fight your ticket and appeal it and write or call your senators!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 AM

3,995 posts, read 9,978,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggyswife View Post
PLEASE sight legislation which supports your arguments that reflective covers are illegal. When the AZ senate tried to ban these covers in the law SB 1414 (48th legislature, session 2008) it failed to pass. The fact that the quasi judges in civil court, who's salaries are paid out of ticket fines, say they're illegal doesn't mean they are correct. Fight your ticket and appeal it and write or call your senators!!!!!!!!!
Actually these plate covers are illegal. It was passed in 2008 as HB 2250 and added to A.R.S 28-2404 and A.R.S. 28-2409 (Arizona Revised Statues)

The law before these statues were engrossed were sufficient enough to ban such covers but extra language was added to ensure direct legal wording opposing the use of such "devices." The law before these A.R.S.'s were enacted clearly stated that is was illegal to use, intent to use, distort, block, attempt to block, obscure or attempt to obscure , etc clear view of the license plate. Using these covers directly violates said law and statutes. It is the State's right to impose such a requirement since they issue the license plate and they can regulate their use, display, and can revoke them for many reasons including using these covers. Remember, as said before, driving is a privilege and not a right.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/48leg/2r/bills/hb2250h.pdf

Last edited by fcorrales80; 09-04-2009 at 02:28 AM..

Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggyswife View Post

To bad. I for one, support the law. License plates should not be obscured IN ANY FASHION

Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
The Arizona plate cover in question is called the "Blur" Mod cut and it definitely works or the Arizona legislature wouldn't be targeting and isolating this specific plate cover. I installed this cover 8 months ago and during this time I have had at least 15-20 police cars follow me without incident. I also have a copy of ARS 28-2354-titled License Plates: Attachment. Presently there is nothing listed in this ARS that precludes the use of the "Blur" plate cover. My conclusion ads a" little frosting to the cake". I was recently pulled over by the Police and when the officer approached me he informed me that I did't do anything wrong but my write brake light wasn't working. He then proceeded to the rear of the car copied my license plate number and issued me a warning ticket never mentioning anything about the plate cover.So be it.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-02-2010 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: No recommendations/links with less than 10 posts.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:41 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digidude View Post
The Arizona plate cover in question is called the "Blur" it is sold at buyradardetectors.com and it definitely works or the Arizona legislature wouldn't be targeting and isolating this specific plate cover. I installed this cover 8 months ago and during this time I have had at least 15-20 police cars follow me without incident. I also have a copy of ARS 28-2354-titled License Plates: Attachment. Presently there is nothing listed in this ARS that precludes the use of the "Blur" plate cover. My conclusion ads a" little frosting to the cake". I was recently pulled over by the Police and when the officer approached me he informed me that I did't do anything wrong but my write brake light wasn't working. He then proceeded to the rear of the car copied my license plate number and issued me a warning ticket never mentioning anything about the plate cover.So be it.
Consider yourself extremely lucky, Digidude, the law is very clearly written . . . OBSCURING THE PLATE IN ANY WAY IS ILLEGAL.

A neighbor of mine who frequently boasted the advantages of his plate cover and has been either warned or cited before was stopped about a year ago.

The cop offered two options . . . remove the cover and merely receive a citation OR, refuse to remove the cover and the vehicle will be impounded. After an arrogant argument, his vehicle was impounded and was not released until the cover was removed and the fine, or fines, were paid.

Personally . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Actually these plate covers are illegal. It was passed in 2008 as HB 2250 and added to A.R.S 28-2404 and A.R.S. 28-2409 (Arizona Revised Statues)

The law before these statues were engrossed were sufficient enough to ban such covers but extra language was added to ensure direct legal wording opposing the use of such "devices." The law before these A.R.S.'s were enacted clearly stated that is was illegal to use, intent to use, distort, block, attempt to block, obscure or attempt to obscure , etc clear view of the license plate. Using these covers directly violates said law and statutes. It is the State's right to impose such a requirement since they issue the license plate and they can regulate their use, display, and can revoke them for many reasons including using these covers. Remember, as said before, driving is a privilege and not a right.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/48leg/2r/bills/hb2250h.pdf
I know this is an older post, but HB 2250, in the link posted, says nothing about license plate covers. 28-2404 and 28-2409 are in the "special plates" chapter, besides. It would make no sense to put language about covers in those statutes. And, according to the hard copy volume of the ARS I have right in front of me, neither of these statutes were amended in 2008. I can't see that HB2250 passed, even though it had nothing to do with covers anyway.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM

44,542 posts, read 61,215,278 times
Arizona law (ARS 28-2354) requires that, " A person shall maintain each license plate so it is clearly legible." The sprays and covers themselves are not illegal. The act of illegible display of the plate is.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalineParts View Post
I have been using a license plate cover over two years that is similar to this one:

I have been pulled over once for speeding and the officer simply told me to remove it when I got home. I would much rather risk a $130 dollar non-moving violaton fine than a $150 dollar ticket that my insurance will see and hike up rates. Been flashed several times with nothing in the mail. Well worth the money!
Just one question, AP . . .

Does this blatant disrespect for the lives of others as well as the laws in general give you some kind of First Person Singular High?

Thank Goodness for KARMA!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM

24,275 posts, read 25,774,010 times
Well AP only has 1 post to his name and that was almost a year ago.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Well AP only has 1 post to his name and that was almost a year ago.
Maybe he finally got caught, Motormaker? . . . SLAMMER?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: