Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times

Advertisements

I work downtown and I can smell it inside the building. I also live near Estrella and seen the haze coming into work. Yuck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:55 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
I'm not one for over regulating businesses but this is I think the 3rd one of these crapfests in the last year or two. It's one thing for these to spontaneously combust, but this isn't one of those situations.

Imagine if this happened during the Super Bowl, with a nice wind out of the west taking it right into the stadium.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I'm not one for over regulating businesses but this is I think the 3rd one of these crapfests in the last year or two. It's one thing for these to spontaneously combust, but this isn't one of those situations.

Imagine if this happened during the Super Bowl, with a nice wind out of the west taking it right into the stadium.
These fires seem to be part of living here. If it is not mulch, it is hay. If it's not hay, it's tires. If it's not tires, it is scrap.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
These fires seem to be part of living here. If it is not mulch, it is hay. If it's not hay, it's tires. If it's not tires, it is scrap.
Yep. I imagine some of it is also because of the panoramic views and the fact that a fire like this one can disturb so many people simply based on the wind. To me, it's embarrasing that they continue to happen at all.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 AM

212 posts, read 229,032 times
Can I Smell it?
are you kidding me, it's driving my allergies/breathing problems CRAZY!
I was up in Flagstaff all day yesterday and when I came back down the I-17 as soon as I got south of the 101 I started to smell it, it was strong.
and I spent the evening coughing and coughing, Wonderful and they call this paradise?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovetsky Medved View Post
Can I Smell it?
are you kidding me, it's driving my allergies/breathing problems CRAZY!
I was up in Flagstaff all day yesterday and when I came back down the I-17 as soon as I got south of the 101 I started to smell it, it was strong.
and I spent the evening coughing and coughing, Wonderful and they call this paradise?
You have already posted at length about your breathing problems. Sorry this fire is aggravating them, but most people don't share your problems, and while it may not be "paradise" for them, it's not the problem that it is for you.

They have to let it burn itself out, but hopefully the smoke wlll lessen as time passes.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:25 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
On Saturday night, I did capture some good pictures of the blaze as well as some phone video. We drove by Northern and Dysart at 9 PM and the flames we intense. On Sunday, a lot of ash was dropping over in the Arrowhead region. When I was rubbernecking on Sunday, everything was gold color as the smoke filtered the sun right 1/4 mile from the burn.

I picked someone up at the airport last night. We live in Surprise (about 2 miles from the fire). No smell in our neighborhood ever as the prevailing winds pushed it away from us. But as I got to the 303 and 10 around 11 PM, the small was intense at that intersection. I could see how someone would get sick if they smelt that for a solid day. But further up 10 3-4 miles away the smell dissipated.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Seems to be drifting south, I can watch the smoke hug the White Tanks and head towards Avondale. We have three big river basins that collect cooler temps and these basins look like they are pulling the smoke southward. I bailed on running outside this morning because it still smells like smoke and is hazy.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovetsky Medved View Post
they call this paradise?
Paradise? Who calls it "paradise"? lol Anyone who calls this place "paradise" isnt well-traveled, thats all I gotta say.

Back to the fire... driving up 51 last night, the smell was really bad, and you could hardly see South Mountain from up near Glendale Ave, it was that hazy/smoky.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,706 times
Yes, I smelled it Sunday and yesterday from Chandler/Ahwatukee. I could not open my windows or be outside for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area