Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 AM
IKM IKM started this thread

37 posts, read 48,966 times

Advertisements

Its 14 degrees here in nj and feels like 0 with the wind chill factor.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:27 AM

123 posts, read 488,319 times
I love the weather out here in Phoenix...all year round! I came from upstate NY where it was cold and damp in the winter and cloudy most of the year.

There was a joke back in NY that the summers were really nice.....and if they fell on a weekend, we had a picnic

Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,065 times
Default Over 100 in Oct??

Moderator cut: orphaned

Wow, that would be a lot for me to get used to. We actually do own a snowblower, but when it snows and then you get ice rain immediately following, then more snow and ice rain on top, there's no hope to use the snowblower to clear it (believe me, my hubby tried). I HATE ice rain. We've gotten it quite a bit this season and we're only in Jan!!! UGH!! My poor husband had to try to clear the driveway of it. And we have a looooong driveway. What were we thinking???
I'd love to visit my brother right now.

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-03-2008 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
Wow, that would be a lot for me to get used to. We actually do own a snowblower, but when it snows and then you get ice rain immediately following, then more snow and ice rain on top, there's no hope to use the snowblower to clear it (believe me, my hubby tried). I HATE ice rain. We've gotten it quite a bit this season and we're only in Jan!!! UGH!! My poor husband had to try to clear the driveway of it. And we have a looooong driveway. What were we thinking???
I'd love to visit my brother right now.
Yeah, we had the ice rain too once this year, in December. This has been a crazy winter no doubt. But the good thing is, its over pretty soon (I consider mid-March the end). Before you know it we'll be wearing shorts and swimming. Looks like its gonna be 65 today in Scottsdale, lows in the 40s with some rain chances this weekend. We have rain coming too on Sunday, high of 55. Now, I know IL has some bizarre, ever-changing weather, but how do we pull a 50 degree difference in 2 days???

Old 01-03-2008, 12:23 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Totally agree !
I hate that too. Oh, and I never hear its a dry cold vs a humid cold so 40 here feels like 20 in Boston because of the humidity. Even though the same is true. How are weather is perfect I will never understand? It's not Hawaii or Sand Diego, CA. We have about 2 months, scattered around, of perfect temps. (by the way yesterday was one of them) and that is it people.
No snow, yes, but great weather, absolutely not!
No wonder why it feels so cold, it's a dry cold.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
No wonder why it feels so cold, it's a dry cold.
It feels cold because it's been cold. Yesterday was the first normal day in weeks. My pool got into the 30's. I have NEVER seen that before.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM

225 posts, read 962,057 times
I'm originally a New Yorker so I was used to wearing a wool coat, gloves, scarf and a hat and walking everywhere. In November and December, you could walk around pretty content and the layers of clothing would protect you. In January, February and sometimes March, the wind would get so bad that nothing could shield you from feeling that cold. In this was New York, I can't imagine what it must be line in colder cities like Chicago. You couldn't be outside for more than 10 minutes without freezing or being very uncomfortable. We were just used to it and dealt with the pain the cold brought. When I first moved to Phoenix, those summers were intense because I wasn't used to that heat, but it wasn't like walking outside in the cold in which you are feeling literally pain from frostbite. It was more of a feeling after a workout in which you feel hot and flushed but it was certainly tolerable and I wouldn't have to run for shelter after standing outside for 10 minutes. I might have sweated profusely but it was not as bad as a really cold wind, not by any means.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
But the good thing is, its over pretty soon (I consider mid-March the end). Before you know it we'll be wearing shorts and swimming.
But of course! If you're http://climateprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/polar-bear-tongue.jpeg (broken link)

Only that on Memorial day there I needed a jacket I don't even wear right now! It's true, though, that you get accustomed to whatever you have to deal with. All Chicagoans, just like you, thought it was heaven (oops, I meant hell ) and were dressed accordingly. Heck, people get used to being in prison!

Honest to God, don't you get tired of this...?! Because I am... I, for one, have said many times I love Chicago. Why don't you talk about the things Chicago actually DOES have to offer instead of bickering over its unquestionable low point?! You think denial's gonna warm up your frozen bones?!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
But of course! If you're http://climateprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/polar-bear-tongue.jpeg (broken link)

Only that on Memorial day there I needed a jacket I don't even wear right now! It's true, though, that you get accustomed to whatever you have to deal with. All Chicagoans, just like you, thought it was heaven (oops, I meant hell ) and were dressed accordingly. Heck, people get used to being in prison!

Honest to God, don't you get tired of this...?! Because I am... I, for one, have said many times I love Chicago. Why don't you talk about the things Chicago actually DOES have to offer instead of bickering over its unquestionable low point?! You think denial's gonna warm up your frozen bones?!
If youre "tired of this", then why strike up an argument when I wasnt even talking to you in the first place? Thats, uh, real brilliant! And Im not "denying" anything, where do you get off saying that? And if I talked about the good things Chicago "actually DOES", Id be here for days, wouldnt wanna bore you.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If youre "tired of this", then why strike up an argument when I wasnt even talking to you in the first place?
Everybody who's tired of it, please raise hands!

Quote:
And if I talked about the good things Chicago "actually DOES", Id be here for days, wouldnt wanna bore you.
Please do! That's not gonna bore us one bit (I speak for myself, but I bet others would love to hear something different)! It'll be a lot more interesting and refreshing as opposed to broken-record-sounding promotion of non-existing good weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area