Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 AM

444 posts, read 582,071 times

Advertisements

How can we let this stand?

Arizona's Pastor Steven Anderson Argues That AIDS Would Be Eradicated If Gays Were 'Executed'

Old 12-05-2014, 10:09 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
The good pastor is not such a good Christian. This type of preaching is over the top in my opinion. AIDS could be slowed by stopping unprotected sex with infected partners, but it is in the hetro population as well as seniors now. People will always throw caution to the wind and take risks...just the way it is. But it is no longer a "gay" disease.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:35 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
I read that protests are being planned to be held at the church. Can they count on you? I didn't think so.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:06 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,167 times
Here is the thing - while I am completely disgusted that anyone - let alone a pastor - can feel this way or encourage others to feel this way - we do live in the USA and he can spew whatever garbage he wants as long as he doesn't actively encourage anybody to carry out his views. Its the rest of the people that have the choice to FOLLOW the misguided pastor.

People have the right to protest as has been suggested - but to be honest I am torn as to whether doing so will help - or make matters worse by giving him more a public persona than he may have had otherwise - thereby allowing other sick people (and I mean that in the true sense of the word) to find him more easily than they would have.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:36 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,830 times
Can't fix stupid

Old 12-05-2014, 12:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
The other thread was closed for review. The post saying that didn't go through. Proceed with the topic here (keep it civil and related to the local topic, and I will merge this thread with that one later. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:04 PM

105 posts, read 225,408 times
There's always a crazy guy saying crazy thing...not sure what protesting is going to do...the westbro church hasn't gone away and people hate them

Old 12-05-2014, 02:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
How do we find out if this "church" is tax-exempt?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 PM

639 posts, read 971,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
How do we find out if this "church" is tax-exempt?
I *believe* possibly calling the state department of revenue and checking with them. That would probably be the most accurate place to get the info.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
This guy says a lot of silly things, has no real degree in bible history or Hermaneutics and no real understanding of learning to read documents like this in the context of their culture and history at the time they were written. I'm supposed to be a subject of my husband, never speak up in church, etc etc ad nauseum. He's just a publicity hound and more than a little off the beam. A lot of people in this world say really stupid things. If no one reported this, only about 15 people who go to his "church" would have heard him... but noooo... can't let a good insult aimed at Arizona go by.

Would love you to notice how much HuffPost HATES Arizona. If this guy were in New York, I can guarantee that the headline wouldn't be "New York's Pastor Steven Anderson.... blah blah blah..." They also LOVE to print these obscure articles about bad people who disagree with their stance on everything and anything, especially if it will get you to click on the article and be annoyed and ready to write angry things about it on your Facebook page. Hair-raising headlines and outrage Grrrrrrrrr. Which is also called pandering and clickbaiting.

This guy doesn't represent Arizona. I'm a conservative. I would NEVER advocate this and none of my very conservative friends would either. I also don't believe the bible should be used as a weapon or an excuse. Nor do I read it literally. I actually have read it in the original Aramaic when I took both Aramaic and Hebrew courses many years ago. He doesn't know what he's talking about. So...This guy isn't "Arizona's Pastor." He's the pastor of a tiny radical sect of the Baptist Church who believes in reading every word in the (often) poorly translated and poorly understood version of the Bible that he is memorizing.

The best way to deal with people like this is to ignore them. He says things to get press and social spin. Huff Post happily complies. After all - they make money every time you click on this site. Like I said, he's chocolate candy for Huff Post. He's walking clickbait. Don't click on it. Don't go to his website. Don't respond. Don't feed the troll...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: