Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 01:19 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times

Advertisements

I think they should use all lines of type too:

DRIVE HAMMERED
GET NAILED
THEN YOU ARE SCREWED

(Bet ya never SAW that coming haha)

Old 12-13-2014, 12:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,673,750 times
They are pretty helpful especially with closures and that type of thing. In my experience they are as accurate as the real time navigation information, obviously providing that something doesn't go wrong between the last amber sign and your destination. They're updated pretty quickly when something happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 08:19 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,479 times
I like them when they warn of accidents and lane / road closures. Travel times are hit or miss. Once, when on 202 westbound (towards downtown), it said something like 25 mins to 17 and Camelback. Right as I got up to it, the sign flashed and then read 45 mins. the latter estimate was close to accurate, but I couldn't help but feel the old time was outdated.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:05 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
I find them useful if I'm trying to get to the airport in the morning, to decide if I should take 51 instead of 17.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:02 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,448,725 times
I have a question......Are the sign boards linked to a camera system, that sees the traffic conditions ?

That would be ideal, as long as the camera system is being monitored by a person, who can change the pixel board messages, to reflect the traffic situation.

Here in Ontario, the camera system is monitored in two ways. By a sound level microphone system, and by the camera control room operators. Obviously, when there is a problem that slows down the traffic flow, the sound level goes down. The camera operators have the ability to change the sign board messages, and the boards are capable of at least 10 lines of text.

When the traffic is running smoothly, the signs have safety messages, and reminders about using seat belts, and the cost of speeding fines. The system also has a link to the Amber Alert missing child notices.

All of the cable TV services here have the live traffic camera broadcasts, as well as the "time to get to " information that is updated every 3 minutes. In the winter, the traffic cameras also have a over lay that shows the surface conditions, re ice, snow, or drifting snow conditions, with different colours representing different surface conditions.

For a interesting take on winter snow plowing techniques, watch this video from last winter, on the 401 highway that runs right through the middle of the city of Toronto. It is the busiest highway in either the USA or Canada, and it has a total of 16 lanes at it's widest point. Be sure to watch the whole video, to see the way that the entire highway is plowed in one pass, from the express lanes, to the local lanes, and the on and off ramps. We call that a "clean sweep ". It takes about an hour for the plow trucks, sanders and brine trucks to do a 30 mile section, and then turn around, and do the opposite direction of the highway. These trucks are under contract to the Provincial Ministry of Transport. The city of Toronto has it's own fleet of about 900 trucks, that do the city streets.

link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUds1pWKMjs

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I like them when they warn of accidents and lane / road closures. Travel times are hit or miss. Once, when on 202 westbound (towards downtown), it said something like 25 mins to 17 and Camelback. Right as I got up to it, the sign flashed and then read 45 mins. the latter estimate was close to accurate, but I couldn't help but feel the old time was outdated.
That's what it is, not up to the minute to allow for lane closures, accidents, or just general heavier traffic.

I just feel like travel distance times are calculated on some kind of average because I find they are not very accurate on the I-10 or 202 many times.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:31 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,382,751 times
I've found the signs right on the money on the 51 FWY. I think they are helpful in keeping road rage down a bit. If people know what to expect, they might not fly off the handle so much. But what I really like those signs for is how they sync with the AZ511 website. If you click on the little sign icon on the map, it tells you exactly what's on the sign. That way I can plan my routes better before leaving the house, especially during heavy drive times.

Personally, having lived in California and Hawaii before this, I LOVE love love ADOT. They are one of the bureaucracies in this state that really work well. Can't say that for Hawaii or California. I admire the road crews. I love how well the roads are planned out and maintained. I have no complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area