Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 AM

525 posts, read 815,631 times

Advertisements

A year ago or so I moved from Chicago to San Jose, CA for job in tech industry. I like it there but I am not so sure about most IT jobs. I work as support engineer at data center for a large IT company and kinda make laughable salary. I am looking for a better job but I am not sure yet exactly what are my future prospects. I have CCNA, Bachelor of SC in IT from good private 4 year college, yet only make $46k as base salary that only affords me a hole in worst part of San Jose. Half of my co-workers live in Stockton (central valley) to commute to work.

I like California but its hard to enjoy outdoor activities on that salary and get out. What I hate also is outdated infrastructure, ugly guys (I am gay), dating scene not so good, very expensive apartments and even rooms for share, very sick picky prospective roommates or landlords/master tenants who most are not willing to share kitchen or common areas on craigslist.

I heard a lot of data centers built on Phoenix because land is cheaper so I might look for next opportunity there, also heard road infrastructure is great, apartments cheap (although electricity expensive).

But I bet summers there are so hot you can't get out outdoors on most days during summer right?

What is the cons and pros of living there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Well....as far as Data Centers are concerned...check out IO, PhoenixNAP and CoreSite. I think I saw that Level 3 is hiring NOC engineers and their Academy is based in Ahwautukee. $43k in Phoenix as a single is very doable. I can't speak to the LGBT community here as they kind of blend in with everyone else...most people judge you on your attitude and behavior vs. a label. Our politics are VERY different from CA. As far as summer heat...there are a ton of threads on here about it. Yes it gets hot in the summer but lately...everywhere in the US gets hot in the summer. Ours just lasts a bit longer (mid May to late October).

Good luck on the decision to move or not.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Sorry, but I can't believe you're surviving on $46k in San Jose. That's nuts. Even if you don't get a raise, a move here will be a significant increase in your spending power. You won't be rich here either on that, but you should be fairly comfortable.

Summers are no big deal. They're hot, but manageable. You can certainly go outside. It's nice to have a pool. A

Unlike where you live now, PHX isn't a hotbed of culture and diversity. It's there, you just have to look a bit harder.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
Check out the new GM Tech Center in Chandler, they just opened a brand new building and are hiring IT people like crazy.I know someone that just got hired on and he gets paid very well.

Check your job prospects out first, then consider moving.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:59 PM

480 posts, read 845,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
I have CCNA, Bachelor of SC in IT from good private 4 year college, yet only make $46k as base salary that only affords me a hole in worst part of San Jose. Half of my co-workers live in Stockton (central valley) to commute to work.

What is the cons and pros of living there? Thanks!
First, holy Toledo - you need to talk to a headhunter or do contract work. A competent server room worker should be making double that.

Second, holy Toledo - it's impossible to recount the full set of pros and cons here in Phoenix. You might be happy with the dry heat, but horrified by the lack of organic green foliage that you get in the Bay Area. You might be happy with the social scene, but horrified by the generally conservative politics. You might love the lack of lines and crowding, but hate the relatively limited number of places to do things. That's a very complicated question.

I lived in the Bay Area for 30+ years, and wound up in Phoenix after a brief stop in Southern California. One important thing to keep in mind is that, after you move out of the Bay Area, it's extremely difficult to move back, because it's a lot easier to live in an area with moderate living expenses. Every time I've thought about going back to the Bay Area, I've been staggered by the cost difference. (A nice 2bdrm/2ba apartment in San Francisco or the Peninsula is 3-5x what it would cost here.)

Good luck!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
People always say the politics here are so horrible, but honestly, it can be ignored. I have no idea what "the politics" here even is. I just ignore it and live my life. Doesn't affect me in the least.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:23 AM

140 posts, read 174,370 times
There seems to be a lot of demand for IT here in the valley.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 AM

61 posts, read 67,185 times
Yes, the lowest paying ones in the US.....hard to fill call center. They even get huge tax breaks to open shop in AZ complete with 8.50 per hour wages. I got news for the OP...if IT call centers offered jobs at 22.50 per hour, their would be a line of applicants to Jerome, including many "retirees," who actually would prefer to be working a decent job.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:00 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times
I would definitely move to AZ and I bet you'd be making a higher salary here. Check out dice.com for all the IT jobs in the valley. There are a lot here. The weather here is nice. The summers aren't as bad as people say. Plus, you'd be indoors where the AC is on full blast :P

Old 12-20-2014, 11:40 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpromotion View Post
Yes, the lowest paying ones in the US.....hard to fill call center. They even get huge tax breaks to open shop in AZ complete with 8.50 per hour wages. I got news for the OP...if IT call centers offered jobs at 22.50 per hour, their would be a line of applicants to Jerome, including many "retirees," who actually would prefer to be working a decent job.
A data center is not a call center. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area