Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 05:52 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,558,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Word is the REAL money is in places like Paradise Valley and Carefree. But many super rich people don't like flashing it with their Mercedes and so on, they're more likely to be driving a pickup truck here in Arizona.
Your "word" is only half correct. See also Arcadia and the Biltmore (both Phoenix) and 85258, 85255, 85259, 85262 (all Scottsdale). Real money can be found in all of those and more. Plenty of Scottsdale has old money.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:58 PM

389 posts, read 592,200 times
Quote:
Agreed. Word is the REAL money is in places like Paradise Valley and Carefree. But many super rich people don't like flashing it with their Mercedes and so on, they're more likely to be driving a pickup truck here in Arizona.
Agreed. A lot of the wealth in North Scottsdale is often artificial. That is not to say that there is not any wealth up there, it's just that true wealth is more likely to be found in places like Paradise Valley, Arcadia, and Biltmore areas. Those areas are more desirable, and real estate prices reflect that.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Agreed. A lot of the wealth in North Scottsdale is often artificial. That is not to say that there is not any wealth up there, it's just that true wealth is more likely to be found in places like Paradise Valley, Arcadia, and Biltmore areas. Those areas are more desirable, and real estate prices reflect that.
PV is an exclusive town with nothing but 7-figure homes and pretty much nothing else other than a few resorts and restaurants. Arcadia and the Biltmore are exclusive enclaves in the city of Phoenix. Comparing such niches to a large city is a baseless comparison.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:58 PM

498 posts, read 540,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
In my late 20's now, I've been fortunate to live or travel to some highly touted areas nationally. Up and down the California coast to the pricey NYC suburbs where I have family. I feel I have a point of reference to some degree regarding how Scottsdale stacks up against other highly regarded places in the USA.

From what I've seen of Scottsdale, it's pretty much in a league of its own. From the impeccable roads, stunning landscape, many attractive (blond hair is alive and well) and fit residents and plentiful amenities. It has it all. Furthermore, there is a distinct sense of pride... a seemingly collaborative effort between city government and residents to maintain the high quality of life that Scottsdale is renowned for. For example, I had family in town last month (who stayed in S'dale) and we drove around town without noticing an litter. That is a credit to the city and residents alike. People care.

It feels like the best of America and appears immune from much of the societal issues plaguing the rest of this troubled country. I aspire to live there some day in the foreseeable future. Sadly I am currently poor and thus undeserving to live in such a fantastic place . But it is certainly an attainable goal and Scottsdale, in a way, inspires me to better myself in hopes of living is such a blessed piece of the country.

There may not be a better place to live in the entire United States of America

Somebody needs to seek medical attention and get a prescription for meds. You should hook up with DetroitN8V.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:23 PM

389 posts, read 592,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
PV is an exclusive town with nothing but 7-figure homes and pretty much nothing else other than a few resorts and restaurants. Arcadia and the Biltmore are exclusive enclaves in the city of Phoenix. Comparing such niches to a large city is a baseless comparison.
That doesn't change the fact that they offer more prestige than Scottsdale. That just makes them even more exclusive.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:25 PM

52 posts, read 72,696 times
America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek

Scottsdale ranked best city to raise children

Medical attention?

Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
That doesn't change the fact that they offer more prestige than Scottsdale.
Of course they do when compared to the city as a whole. They're just small prestigious enclaves. Scottsdale is a fairly large, diverse city. Scottsdale has it's own enclaves that are just as exclusive though. See Silverleaf, Gainey Ranch or Desert Mountain for just a few examples.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:12 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,615,262 times
Quote:
I concur that the real money here is in Paradise Valley and Carefree. I would even assert that there are pockets of other Valley cities that are more upscale than even the nicest parts of Scottsdale. Scottsdale has the reputation of being the "rich" suburb here, but a large portion of the city is middle class, the "30K millionaire" syndrome seems to have a firm grasp over a segment of the population (ex. leases a $90,000 car but sleeps on a futon), and the housing stock does not scream "wealth" to most people.

What I find interesting is that the median income of Chandler is around that of Scottsdale, the median income of Gilbert FAR exceeds that of Scottsdale (Gilbert even has a Maserati dealership of its own), and the median incomes of Carefree, Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley, and Oro Valley (which I would argue offers MUCH more impressive and dramatic mountain views than Scottsdale) all exceed that of Scottsdale, but Scottsdale is still considered the tony community of the state. It gets back to your point of people not being a flashy with their money as I believe a certain element of Scottsdale tends to be.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 PM

People that don't live in Scottsdale never miss an opportunity to knock it. That speaks volumes.

Whether or not it's the wealthiest city or has the most millionaires is irrelevant. It's a beautiful place to live, with amenities second to none on the valley. If you golf, are a car buff, outdoorsy, enjoy fine dining or just want a safe place to raise a family, it's a great place to call home. If you don't like it, don't live here. There are plenty that want to.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 PM

29,883 posts, read 18,721,597 times
Great restaurants, great shopping, awesome selection of gorgeous homes in north Scottsdale, nice views...pretty nice place. Okay south Scottsdale is nothing special and not a great place if you don't have money and doesn't have the urban walkability of say Bellevue for example but I wouldn't mind wintering in Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area