Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 AM

701 posts, read 1,428,604 times

Advertisements

Much to my shock and disappointment, a big sign in the window of the Kierland B&N announces that December 31st will be their last day. The store always seemed busy and brought a little class to this Beverly Hills wannabe shopping area. What a bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
That's too bad. I have a relative that loves sending B&N gift cards and that was always where I went to spend them. I wonder what will go into that space. I bet they have to divide it up into smaller stores. I can't think of anything large enough that would be a good fit.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:33 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
Dang. Not many bricks-and-mortar bookstores left in the valley that aren't used bookstores. I wonder if the B&N at Shea and the 101 will close, or the one at Desert Ridge?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
That is really sad. That was my favorite Barnes and Noble in the city. There are not many of the two story versions and that had an excellent childrens section. I used to take my kids there when it first opened. Nonetheless, it's coming. More of them will close out of necessity. There will only be 2 tor 4 in the city in the next 5 years. Book stores are too expensive to run and most people just loiter and then purchase their products on Amazon. It's a shame because Barnes and Noble really did a complete overhaul of it's membership rewards and made it so that it is very competitive with Amazon. Unfortunately, people only remember the old membership plan which was a joke. They also closed the one in Ahwatukee (Ray and 48th) earlier this year

Old 12-20-2014, 12:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Too bad. I liked that store too. I lived at Kierland before Scottsdale Quarter was there, and used to go into B&N all the time.

Didn't realize they closed the Ray Rd. store either.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
As long as the one in Chandler Fashion Center stays open, (well, and Tempe Marketplace) I'm good. I do hate to see the brick and mortar bookstores going away. Though I have a Kindle for traveling, I'm old school about reading paper books, and l like to actually see the book before I buy it.

Last edited by observer53; 12-20-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As long as the one in Chandler Fashion Center stays open, (well, and Tempe Marketplace) I'm good. I do hate to see the brick and mortar bookstores going away. Though I have a Kindle for traveling, I'm old school about reading paper books, and l like to actually see the book before I buy it.
I wonder if Barnes and Noble could charge a membership fee like Sams Club and Costco. This would allow them to charge prices on par with Amazon. This would eliminate all the people who use BN to loiter but never buy anything. The shopping experience would be better. The stores would be less crowded. They could offer more seating and a limited number of free drinks (coffees) etc. Maybe they could create a few stores with this idea as an experiment or spin off a separate chain of limited stores that tried this. People are willing to pay for luxury and convenience.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,968 times
That was a fabulous place to get a coffee and look at (but not buy) books I was interested in. I found a ton of great volumes I later ordered from Amazon. Can't imagine why they're closing.....

Old 12-20-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
That was a fabulous place to get a coffee and look at (but not buy) books I was interested in. I found a ton of great volumes I later ordered from Amazon. Can't imagine why they're closing.....
It's surprising that BN doesn't have any sense of urgency regarding this. They are a dying species. If they don't change their business model, they will join Borders very soon. Barnes and Noble is to books what Best Buy is to electronics. It's become a glorified show room and the real purchases are made at Amazon.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
I was just at the BN Chandler Fashion Mall 2 days ago, and I see more and more of the chairs are missing. This was probably a big mistake putting them in years ago and now people have to stand to browse or use the Starbucks chairs, which is what I did. I tried sitting on the floor in a corner once and was told this was not allowed in the store by the manager (?) or salesperson.

I, for one, love BN, but hardly ever buy anything. I get the names of books, then go to the library and look for them or ask that they be purchased. I hope this store stays cause I will miss it if it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area