Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,135,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im in PHX every year, sometimes twice. Sometimes 3 times a year. My last trip was in June. And yes, there are only a "few" highrises. Im not really aware of all the cultural areas of the city, true, but all the many times Ive been there, I can tell you that there arent nearly enough to even warrant a blip on the radar. Its either whites or Hispanics, with a few blacks mixed in (and hardly any of those). And were not talking about the Valley, were talking about Phoenix, hence the thread title. I think Steve22 is right on the money regarding his observations.
Well, I guess I don't have to tell you then about the Broadway plays that come to the Herberger. Or, the Phoenix Symphony - internationally recognized. Or, the new Performing Arts Center. Or, the Tempe Center for the Arts. The internationally acclaimed Phoenix Art Museum. Or the Native American Center. Or Papago. Or our wonder professional Sports teams - you know, Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, WNBA. Or the largest city park in the country - or

You know all about this of course.

And, I'm sure, inasmuch as you are an expert on Phoenix, why there are so few High Rises - you know all of this

Or, about all the tremendous urban lakes all over the valley -

Or that Phoenix and the Valley are listed as by the Census bureau as one of the most ethnically diverse communties in the nation

I'm sorry - you know all that - you are the expert after all

Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,133,518 times
wow.....can i get the last 5 mins of my life back please............are you kidding me?!? Phoenix and Detroit could not be more different and I'd rather live in Compton than Detroit! This is crazyness! Phoenix is absolutley, definitly, by far the better choice!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well, I guess I don't have to tell you then about the Broadway plays that come to the Herberger. Or, the Phoenix Symphony - internationally recognized. Or, the new Performing Arts Center. Or, the Tempe Center for the Arts. The internationally acclaimed Phoenix Art Museum. Or the Native American Center. Or Papago. Or our wonder professional Sports teams - you know, Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, WNBA. Or the largest city park in the country - or

You know all about this of course.

And, I'm sure, inasmuch as you are an expert on Phoenix, why there are so few High Rises - you know all of this

Or, about all the tremendous urban lakes all over the valley -

Or that Phoenix and the Valley are listed as by the Census bureau as one of the most ethnically diverse communties in the nation

I'm sorry - you know all that - you are the expert after all
The PSO is not impressive compared to other cities (ie NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, San Fran, etc). Ive been to the symphony hall, thats also not impressive. The Tempe Arts Center? Are you referring to that concrete/angled slab on campus? Cmon, you can do better than that!!! Never been to the PAC, so I cant comment on that, but the PHX Art Museum is also lackluster. Santa Fe has better art museums, and I wont even compare it to what we have here, thats laughable. Im glad you have these things and all, but the rest of the country has had them for 100s of years (in some cases) and clearly outshine what PHX has. When will you understand that? Go to the Guggenheim or the Chicago Art Institute and youll agree. IN fact, youll probably be ashamed at what PHX brought to the table, so to speak. And your largest park sucks too. Nothing but gravel and no shade. I know, Ive hiked it several times. Its not exactly beautiful, neither is Papago. About the ONLY place Ive been to in PHX that I was impressed with was the Heard Museum. Now THAT was classy and informative, lots of nice artifacts. Sports? What the hell does PHX know about sports, other than the D-cracks got lucky one year? You still cant draw crowds, other than to Suns events, and even when you do, most fans are for the opposing team. LOL The Cards are laughable, as is the putrid design of a stadium (still not as bad as Chase Field though). But dont feel bad, Soldier Field is ugly now too. The Coyotes? HA! Ok. No comment there. The JobRing Arena is boring and small, kinda like the Coyote fan base. DOH! And dont use "tremendous" and "lakes" together to describe AZ's lakes, thats a joke. There are no beaches (unless you like gravel and cacti in your feet) and theyre all man made. Ive been on Bartlett, Saguaro and Lake Pleasant several times thank you very much.

Betcha didnt think Ive done that much there, did ya? All but one thing you mentioned Ive been to. And theres lots more where that came from.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,135,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
This is crazyness! Phoenix is absolutley, definitly, by far the better choice!
Thank you -

Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM

435 posts, read 1,572,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Steve, Detroit's crime rate is declining because for all we know its criminals are coming to Phoenix...
Interesting theory... but actually, the sad truth is more likely to be that there are just so few people left in Detroit (within the actual city limits, that is), the majority of whom are impoverished, that criminals there have basically run out of people who would be worthwhile for them to victimize. If no one has anything valuable to take, then there's really no motive, is there? Poor people robbing poor people is essentially a zero-sum game, if you get my point.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:30 PM

203 posts, read 808,226 times
please see what people live there say.

Detroit - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM

84 posts, read 362,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
it seems too close to call. clearly, neither are the most desirable of cities, but - if forced to choose - where would you move?
I'm just curious, reckoner, why these two cities?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:02 PM

334 posts, read 1,367,859 times
Yes we all know Phoenix is the better place to live, I'm not an idiot. Detroit is a city that just 50 years ago was competing to be the grandest city in the country, people have great memories there, and hate to see it fall apart. Some people would like it to die, just to say "I told you so".

As you saw when hurricane katrina hit New orleans, citizens want their city rebuilt, because it's their home. New orleans people were mad, so are people here, that's why they complain, and all people do is make fun of the city! Poverty, crime, is not something to make a joke of, people are suffering. It's better to have a positive attitude. If you check out the Indian village, boston-edison, english village, palmer park, sherwood forest neigborhood's you'll see the city isn't just one big ghetto. So if Phoenix declined someday, people should just write it off, and anyone that likes it is crazy? Personally I like music, how could you not like a place that gave us: Marvin gaye, Alice cooper, Madonna, The white stripes, Kid rock, Eminem, The jackson 5, Techno music, Stevie wonder, The temptations, Diana ross, Aretha franklin, Ted nuget, Bob seger, Insane clown posse, The four tops, etc.

Detroit, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Brent85; 01-11-2008 at 06:56 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 PM

435 posts, read 1,572,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post

As you saw when hurricane katrina hit New orleans, citizens want their city rebuilt, because it's their home. New orleans people were mad, so are people here, that's why they complain, and all people do is make fun of the city! Poverty, crime, is not something to make a joke of, people are suffering. It's better to have a positive attitude. If you check out the Indian village, boston-edison, english village, palmer park, sherwood forest neigborhood's you'll see the city isn't just one big ghetto. So if Phoenix declined someday, people should just write it off, and anyone that likes it is crazy? Personally I like music, how could you not like a place that gave us: Marvin gaye, Alice cooper, The white stripes, Kid rock, Eminem, The jackson 5, Techno music, Stevie wonder, The temptations, Diana ross, Aretha franklin, Ted nuget, Bob seger, Insane clown posse, The four tops, etc.

Detroit, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amen. Like I said, it's my home and always will be, no matter where I live, and I will always love it in spite of its flaws. Most current and transplanted Detroiters undoubtedly share similar sentiments. And I do believe that someday, somehow, it will return to its past glory.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:04 PM

194 posts, read 324,452 times
If Detroit had been hit by hurricane, it's current condition would be understandable, but it wasn't. I' m from Detroit originally and get no joy from seeing it crumble, but the lack of leadership and vision is truly remarkable. The Coleman Young years basically devastated the city and created a lot of animosity between the suburbs and Detroit itself. I think there was a chance in the 1980's for Detroit to reinvent itself, but they started building larger, less fuel efficient vehicles again once oil prices fell. They've tied themselves to the price of oil and manufacturing jobs, which is a recipe for further disaster. I hear a lot of "Bring back the manufacturing jobs!", sorry it's not going to happen and it's a damn shame, but the unions basically ate their own members. The music and sports are great though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area