Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:13 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,444,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Well, if you don't want to worry about those things, don't move to Detroit. We have during the summer what are called "ozone action days." On these days, they recommend you don't fill up your car with gas, water your lawn, use the grill, etc. We definitely worry about water here, albeit not as much as you would in Phoenix, but our lake levels are low and we are urged to practice water conservation. As for lush green yards - sure you'll have that from May to September (as long as you water every single day) for a whole five months. But since the leaves start to fall off the trees in September, you have about seven months of looking at dead looking, leafless trees and brownish grass. There are plenty of evergreens, but more of the leafless, dead stick trees standing around. As for bottled water, most people here keep cases of it in their garage/basement. The quality of our water is not that great (comes from the City of Detroit or it's well water) and it either smells like chlorine or rotten eggs. So, as far as water - I guess it's safe to say that neither Phoenix nor Detroit have an abundance or or great quality water.
Spoken like someone looking at the grass (or should I say desert) on the other side. I don't know where you live, but on a practical, day-to-day level, no one out in the burbs of metro Detroit worries about using water. You want to wash off your driveway or boat, you do it - no one looks at you strange. Yes, many are worried that the Great Lakes are several feet lower than points in the past, but you really think people stay up nights about it? It's an abstract, longterm concept that does not keep an individual from watering their lawn.

That's funny about Detroit water - you know that Aquafina comes from the same water supply, right? You're probably going to Costco and buying the same water in bottles that you can get out of your tap. Unless you're on well water, there is no sulphurous smell to water in metro Detroit.

When it comes to lawns, I'm not sure where you live once again, but our lawn is looking great after all the rain this past week. Only the most cynical can take the beautiful fall foiliage and twist it into an extreme negative. Yeah, leaves are a nuisance for a month, tops, but it's picked up and I'm staring at green lawn again in January since there is no snow. It's definitely worth the nuisance to see the brilliant yellows, oranges, and reds. And the best part about mother nature? You get wonderful shade in the summers yet the sun comes through in the winters thanks to this cycle.

Overall, there are so many twisted facts about both Phoenix and Detroit on here. But then these people could probably figure out a way to find negatives in Shangrila and Nirvana. And by the way, I think there are great attributes and places to live in both cities/states!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:13 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,444,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
In fact, I would say that Birmingham, Royal Oak, and Ann Arbor are all far nicer, more interesting and fun comunities to live in than anywhere...
This is a good quote in case there is any doubt that anyone who calls Royal Oak, Royal Joke, either has an axe to grind and/or has no idea what they are talking about.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 PM

655 posts, read 2,196,930 times
I'd drink the water in this sewer hole if I could trust my apartment building's pipes.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:18 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,390,986 times
Default This is a joke right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Arizona was, until recently, the largest supplier of cotton in the world. Arizona was, and remains, the largest copper supplier in the world.

Arizona (Phoenix) has been the center of commerece for the Southwest for many years and, they will continue to "boom" -

We are no longer a "steel" country - we are going Hi Tech - and Arizona, because of its access to the Pacific Rim, because of outstanding weather, because of the number of education centers, because of the availabilty of workers and the great quality of life issues, is fast becoming a, if not THE, high tec center of the nation.

Add to this the Defense industry and, well there you go

Phoenix, and Arizona for that matter is no more Hi Tech than Seattle is a sunny playground! Give me a break...wake up and smell the cow manure that is being turned over for yet another "pseudo-estate cookie-cutter-mcmansion development."

Outstanding weather??? Sorry, Cali , will always have a patton on this claim. Availability of workers...what? Are you speaking of the illegals parked outside of the infamous furniture store always mentioned in the news? Quality of life??? If you enjoy needing to be constantly sprayed by water just so you can enjoy your dinner for most of year, I guess. If you enjoy hearing about children drowning all the time...I guess that's a quality life!

Sorry, Phoenix will NEVER be able to compete with SF, Portland, Seattle, Boston, and now even India for Hi-Tech professionals. Yes, I said India...many companies are using overseas developers for their tech needs.

One more thing...Phoenix's higher education institutions will never compare either...I've met many ASU undergrads, pretty scary!

I regret ever moving to Arizona...and agree with the poster who said "What has Arizona done for the Country?"

Old 01-13-2008, 05:43 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,922,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

Phoenix, and Arizona for that matter is no more Hi Tech than Seattle is a sunny playground! Give me a break...wake up and smell the cow manure that is being turned over for yet another "pseudo-estate cookie-cutter-mcmansion development."

Outstanding weather??? Sorry, Cali , will always have a patton on this claim. Availability of workers...what? Are you speaking of the illegals parked outside of the infamous furniture store always mentioned in the news? Quality of life??? If you enjoy needing to be constantly sprayed by water just so you can enjoy your dinner for most of year, I guess. If you enjoy hearing about children drowning all the time...I guess that's a quality life!

Sorry, Phoenix will NEVER be able to compete with SF, Portland, Seattle, Boston, and now even India for Hi-Tech professionals. Yes, I said India...many companies are using overseas developers for their tech needs.

One more thing...Phoenix's higher education institutions will never compare either...I've met many ASU undergrads, pretty scary!

I regret ever moving to Arizona...and agree with the poster who said "What has Arizona done for the Country?"

You can say whatever you want about Phoenix but you can keep all of those diasters in California, fires, floods,damaging winds, snow, earthquakes etc. That's what's pretty scary to me. Cali also has more illegals and even more with the ones moving out of Phoenix.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM

435 posts, read 1,573,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

This article is a few years old, but still relatively accurate in addressing AZ's "brain drain" to other parts of the country, which have more opportunities in so-called "technical" fields. Here's a link:

State losing ground in technology (broken link)

AZ is far from being a booming job epicenter in the technical industry. Construction, service industries, and telemarketing agencies, perhaps.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,997,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
AZ is far from being a booming job epicenter in the technical industry. Construction, service industries, and telemarketing agencies, perhaps.
That's not exactly correct. While undeniably there are plenty of the latter jobs, there are also quite a few of the former. I know this is a Phoenix thread, but since you're generalizing about the whole state...

Raytheon - Tactical missile systems
IBM - Computer systems and storage
Convergys - Information technology consulting and support services
ChemRx Advanced Technologies, Inc. - Pharmaceutical R & D
Focal Point Microsystems, Inc. - Instrumentation and materials for 3-D micro and nanofabrication
Ingram Micro - Technology products and services
Integrated Biomolecule Corporation - Synthetic biomolecules
LSI Logic Storage Systems Tucson Software Center - Development of software used for disk storage applications
Lunar Research Institute - Exploration of the moon and its resources
NP Photonics, Inc. - Optoelectronic and waveguide devices
Sion Power Corporation - Research and development of lithium sulfur technologies
Supplement Sciences, LLC - Nutritional supplements and health products
Taliescent - Standards and metrology laboratory for the fiber optic telecommunications industry

Tucson Real Estate Economy - Specializing in the Tucson Real Estate Investment Market (http://www.thewaterfallgroup.com/index.php?p=2_2_About-Tucson&PHPSESSID=76401174686b56a9234c242ea1b9efc2 - broken link)

University of Arizona Science and Technology Park

Old 01-13-2008, 09:33 PM

919 posts, read 3,386,980 times
Detroit has voted something like 95% democratic for the past few generations.

Maybe it's time they look apart from the leaders who got them to their current place.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 PM

9,594 posts, read 31,592,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Detroit has voted something like 95% democratic for the past few generations.

Maybe it's time they look apart from the leaders who got them to their current place.
LOL . . . obviously, some people never quite get it! ! ! ! !

Old 01-13-2008, 10:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,670,294 times
When I saw this thread I was scared to death for Detroit. Oddly, aside from the expectedly naive "Detroit's hell on earth" comments, it's gotten at least a fair shake from people who obviously know it is more than a burnt out industrial cliche.

Since Phoenix is nothing but a big suburb, comparing the city of Detroit itself would be like comparing South Central LA to Phoenix and excluding Beverly Hills, Hollywood, yadda yadda. For better or worse, you have to consider metro Detroit as a whole. The economic epicenters of the city are in the suburbs. From that perspective, I think Detroit holds its own and then some. The suburbs are beautiful and affluent and lush and have great schools. The Detroit region as a whole (including the city itself) has all kinds of shopping, theatre, nationally renowned and funky museums, outdoor and indoor concert venues that are often the biggest stops on tours, a nationally renowned orchestra, opera. Crime is really low most places - even downtown. Everyone from there says, "Metro Detroit's a great place to raise a family." Then they move out east or to Chicago to live in a vibrant city. Detroit just doesn't have a very viable traditional hub - but even that's come a long way in the past decade.

As for the weather - I live in Boston now, which is very similar. I miss the days when it would snow in Nov / Dec and melt in March. Global warming's making Detroit's weather awful - too warm to be wintery, too cold to be balmy.

Anyway, archeologists will someday unearth Phoenix and determine why we destroyed our civilization - "Look at those 21st century idiots! They built a massive city in the middle of the desert that depended on automobiles and expected to have all the water and resources they wanted!" No wonder they attacked Michigan and Canada in the Water Wars of 2054."

Last edited by Bluefly; 01-13-2008 at 10:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area