Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times

Advertisements

Is this thread a flippin' joke? Phoenix all the way!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Phoenix area hands down.........the '4 season' weather knocks Detroit out of the running if nothing else.
Unbelievable. So if Detroit had perfect San Diego weather, youd move there even if it was in the condition its currently in? Weather is the LAST thing you should be concerned about.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Unbelievable. So if Detroit had perfect San Diego weather, youd move there even if it was in the condition its currently in? Weather is the LAST thing you should be concerned about.
That is your opinion. I hate snow and ice as for living in it. If you wish to deal with '4 season' weather; that is your business.

And; take another look at my post you quoted:

Quote:
Phoenix area hands down.........the '4 season' weather knocks Detroit out of the running if nothing else.
Translation: the Detroit area has many other problems as well.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Yes, Detroit has many problems, so does PHX. To me it sounds like your main reason for not wanting to live in DET is because it has 4 seasons, hence the reason you listed it first. Most people wouldnt want to live there because of lack of jobs and high crime, both of which are far more important to those of us who arent out to get a tan year round. And you didnt answer my question either. Since weather is so important to you, would you live in Detroit (with its current bad status) if it had perfect weather?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I am shocked such a question is being asked. Phoenix wins hands down! I'd rather live in Binghampton NY over Detroit! oh, mama mia!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
it seems too close to call. clearly, neither are the most desirable of cities, but - if forced to choose - where would you move?
Detroit vies with 2-3 other cities (St. Louis, New Orleans, and Baltimore) to be the murder capital of the U.S. In 2006 it was #1 and Phoenix was #21. Does that answer your question?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM

225 posts, read 962,057 times
Is this even a question? The weather in Detroit is possibly the worst in the country. I thought the weather in Chicago was bad until I went to Detroit. Detroit is cold even in late May. And the winters in Detroit have a lot more ice than Chicago so those roads can be death traps. Aside from LA and Chicago, it seems like Detroit provides the third most number of transients. There are a lot of ex-Detroit natives living in Phoenix.

Make no mistake, no one actually lives in downtown Detroit. It's a crime haven and is dangerous. People might work in downtown but they live in the suburbs. The suburbs of Detroit were beautiful like Ann Arbor and West Bloomfield but Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are much nicer in my opinion. And there are not chains in those suburbs?

You have to remember that Detroit is rust belt city and people are moving out. It's population has been steadily falling in the last 20 years. It's unemployment is high and only getting worse and the automobile industry continues to close down plants and move them to other parts of the country or Mexico. Unfortunately, it's a dying city.Detroit is the reason cities like Phoenix survive because a lot of small business and branches from larger corporations are being moved out of Detroit to cities like Phoenix.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:41 PM

225 posts, read 962,057 times
I would like to be fair and not one of those posters that are pretty biased and only offer negativity, the Detroit area offers much better schools. The University of Michigan, and Michigan St. are excellent public universities and the public schools are nicer there too. There is no question the schools are better there. If you can't afford to send your children to private schools and you are concerned about your childrens' education above all else, you want to consider Detroit. Fortunatley, I'm in a position in which I can send my kids to private school or live in an area with great public schools so I prefer Phoenix.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:42 PM

186 posts, read 570,013 times
I've lived in Phoenix for 5 years and have been to Detroit a couple of times. I can't stand the desert and without going into a LONG list of reasons why, I'll just tell you that you had better like the heat almost all year long. I found myself turning on the air conditioning in the car during all months of the year, even December. I can't stand the a/c.

Don't believe people who say that the heat only lasts for 3 months...more like 6-7 months (April - October, even the 1st part of November) of real heat (which in my opinion is 80+). I had a GREAT job, lived in a nice house in a superp area, BUT, I hated every day of life that I spent in that dreadful desert. After I visited home, which has 4 seasons, I told myslef that I have to get out of Phoenix and I have to do it ASAP. Well, I did that nearly two years ago and have never been happier. Sure, I could have a better job but my sanity isn't worth a few bucks. I can't believe how much the dryness of the desert depressed me. I still am sick of the sun and look forward to cloudy and rainy days. No need to wear stupid sunglasses every freakin' day or to put on sunblock.

I feel so free now! Sorry to go off but that is how I feel

Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
Is this even a question? The weather in Detroit is possibly the worst in the country. I thought the weather in Chicago was bad until I went to Detroit. Detroit is cold even in late May. And the winters in Detroit have a lot more ice than Chicago so those roads can be death traps. Aside from LA and Chicago, it seems like Detroit provides the third most number of transients. There are a lot of ex-Detroit natives living in Phoenix.

Make no mistake, no one actually lives in downtown Detroit. It's a crime haven and is dangerous. People might work in downtown but they live in the suburbs. The suburbs of Detroit were beautiful like Ann Arbor and West Bloomfield but Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are much nicer in my opinion. And there are not chains in those suburbs?

You have to remember that Detroit is rust belt city and people are moving out. It's population has been steadily falling in the last 20 years. It's unemployment is high and only getting worse and the automobile industry continues to close down plants and move them to other parts of the country or Mexico. Unfortunately, it's a dying city.Detroit is the reason cities like Phoenix survive because a lot of small business and branches from larger corporations are being moved out of Detroit to cities like Phoenix.
This isn't mean to be argumentative - just want to clarify a couple of things. Chicago weather is always worse than Detroit's. The weather moves from the west to the east, so we usually get Chicago's "left overs". I would think that the worst weather in the country would be Alaska!

I work in Detroit and live in West Bloomfield, but make no mistake there are plenty of people who live in "downtown" Detroit. They have been trying like hell to revitalize Detroit. I for one don't see it happening in my lifetime, but there are a lot of new homes, condos, lofts, etc.

As far as Scottsdale and Paradise Valley being much nicer than West Bloomfield, I wouldn't say that at all . . . they're very different, but both have their own beauty. If you like lake-living, then West Bloomfield will beat Scottsdale/Paradise Valley any day of the week. If you prefer mountains and desert scenery, then yes, by all means, Scottsdale is the place to live!

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely choose Phoenix over Detroit, and so would anyone else in their right mind. I just thought a few facts needed to be straightened out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area