Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM

128 posts, read 171,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Is this thread a flippin' joke? Phoenix all the way!
LOL! That is what I said. Has anyone been to Detriot within the past few years. The city is nothing but crime happy ghetto. I found some of it's suburbs to be quite nice, but as for the city itself, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll. But that goes for most industrial "have been" cities in the midwest. Phoenix is the clear winner.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM

203 posts, read 808,749 times
please lets find a new topic. i say like where you live or move.

have a good day

Old 01-09-2008, 03:33 PM

334 posts, read 1,368,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
LOL! That is what I said. Has anyone been to Detriot within the past few years. The city is nothing but crime happy ghetto. I found some of it's suburbs to be quite nice, but as for the city itself, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll. But that goes for most industrial "have been" cities in the midwest. Phoenix is the clear winner.
You do know Detroit is only 138 sq miles and Phoenix is 474 sq miles right? If Detroit was 474 sq miles it would stomp Phoenix population wise. Make Phoenix 138 sq miles and it would barely be on the map. Being near Mexico i'm sure Phoenix has problems with gangs too. And at least we have a skyline, Phoenix's looks like Billings, Montana All in good fun. Go red wings!
Attached Thumbnails
Detroit or Phoenix?-untitled-1.jpg   Detroit or Phoenix?-header.jpg  

Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,192,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
Go red wings!
Blasphemer!!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You do know Detroit is only 138 sq miles and Phoenix is 474 sq miles right? If Detroit was 474 sq miles it would stomp Phoenix population wise. Make Phoenix 138 sq miles and it would barely be on the map. Being near Mexico i'm sure Phoenix has problems with gangs too. And at least we have a skyline, Phoenix's looks like Billings, Montana All in good fun. Go red wings!
Well I'm glad that many people care soooo much about the sq miles of their city and its skyline. I know that is the first thing people care about when they move to a new location. Funny, but last time I checked Phoenix was the fastest growing city and metro in the nation and Detriot was close to last. Hmmm, no that is odd isn't it?

NPR : Detroit Poverty Getting Worse

Detroit Listed as Nation's Most Dangerous City

Nice!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,192,422 times
Quote:
Well I'm glad that many people care soooo much about the sq miles of their city and its skyline. I know that is the first thing people care about when they move to a new location. Funny, but last time I checked Phoenix was the fastest growing city and metro in the nation and Detriot was close to last. Hmmm, no that is odd isn't it?

NPR : Detroit Poverty Getting Worse

Detroit Listed as Nation's Most Dangerous City

Nice!
Yeah, and Im sure that when people move to PHX the last thing they care about is how fast Phoenix is growing. What you posted was no different than what he was doing.

Nice!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:56 PM

461 posts, read 1,806,634 times
Quote:
Go red wings!
Ditto! Sorry, Steve-O

Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM

461 posts, read 1,806,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
To be honest, I find MI to be just as beautiful as AZ, if not more in some areas. But youre correct, this is a DET or PHX thread, not Az or MI.
Totally agree!! They're each different, but equally beautiful in their own way.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yeah, and Im sure that when people move to PHX the last thing they care about is how fast Phoenix is growing. What you posted was no different than what he was doing.

Nice!
Actually.....you are wrong.

But good effort!

People do pay attention to places that are growing. If a places isn't growing in population, like Detroit and Chicago, that tends to be seen as a negative, and makes people wonder why. With growth comes buisness opportunity and with places in the Phoenix metro with 200%! growth ratios in the past few years, it does show a very significant shift in how the public views it and its importance to the region. You must have forgotten about California and how it can be substituted in this situation. Such an easy state to forget I know.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,397,067 times
Quote:
Actually.....you are wrong.

But good effort!

People do pay attention to places that are growing. If a places isn't growing in population, like Detroit and Chicago, that tends to be seen as a negative, and makes people wonder why. With growth comes buisness opportunity and with places in the Phoenix metro with 200%! growth ratios in the past few years, it does show a very significant shift in how the public views it and its importance to the region. You must have forgotten about California and how it can be substituted in this situation. Such an easy state to forget I know.
Well, population growth can certainly lead to economic and business opportunities, but many of those opportunities are not necessarily in desirable, high paying careers. Look at the majority of jobs in Phoenix as evidence of that; real estate, construction, and other service industries.

Many established cities, where population growth is slim to none, have extremely educated established workforces and a base of industries and careers that are much more desirable. Boston is perfect evidence of this; high paying fields like finance, law, business consulting, and IT development.

As far as Detroit...can't say anything about the city personally. I have only visited there briefly. I do know that the economy in Michigan has been fairly poor for some time. But, the smaller towns around Detroit itself seemed very nice and quaint. Personally, I would take that over the stucco on steroids they mass produce in Phoenix. But, to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area