Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 PM

23 posts, read 79,259 times

Advertisements

it seems too close to call. clearly, neither are the most desirable of cities, but - if forced to choose - where would you move?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 AM

2,767 posts, read 7,401,804 times
Need more information to answer this:

What are the employment possibilities for you in both cities?
Do you have family or friends in either city?
What types of things to do you like to do -- hobbies, recreation, etc.?
What type of climate do you like?
etc.

This can't be answered in a vacuum.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,071,544 times
Detroit, not just because family and friends are there though.

1. Weather is nicer, a Detroit winter is shorter, and more bearable than a Phoenix summer. The Detroit winter won't give you skin cancer either. I just went back to Detroit for Christmas and New years, 10 degrees, 15 inches of snow, no problem, take and extra 2 minutes and layer up.

2. I like trees, real trees not these bushes that Arizonans think are trees. Plus the trees make the Detroit air cleaner, instead of the smog dust filth that gets in my lungs in Phoenix.

3. I like water and feeling like I'm not getting dehydrated just by breathing.

4. Wages are good and housing is affordable.

5. All the sports teams are better

6. There's more local flavor, not just a bunch of chains and big box stores

7. There is more variety of culture, not just retirees and mexican, something for everybody.

8. Union state, the workers actually have value as human beings.

9. Schools on average are better and the kids are more well behaved.

10. More to do. Theres more variety in metro Detroit for activities, hiking won't kill you if you don't take 3 gallons with you, you can go swimming an a real natural lake, you can go sailing. Canada is nearby. The orchestra and theater in Detroit is superior.

if I was offered a job in Detroit today, I'd leave tomorrow. Alas my fiance wants to stay till the end of this school year and there is little to do for work.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 AM

203 posts, read 808,888 times
i moved from the detroit area.

detroit uninployment last i checked. at 8%, phoenix at 3% dont hold me to it.

i would do your homework. on this, check out the detroit board.
i will never go back to detroit. i left due to lack of work.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 AM

461 posts, read 1,806,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Detroit, not just because family and friends are there though.

1. Weather is nicer, a Detroit winter is shorter, and more bearable than a Phoenix summer. The Detroit winter won't give you skin cancer either. I just went back to Detroit for Christmas and New years, 10 degrees, 15 inches of snow, no problem, take and extra 2 minutes and layer up.

2. I like trees, real trees not these bushes that Arizonans think are trees. Plus the trees make the Detroit air cleaner, instead of the smog dust filth that gets in my lungs in Phoenix.

3. I like water and feeling like I'm not getting dehydrated just by breathing.

4. Wages are good and housing is affordable.

5. All the sports teams are better

6. There's more local flavor, not just a bunch of chains and big box stores

7. There is more variety of culture, not just retirees and mexican, something for everybody.

8. Union state, the workers actually have value as human beings.

9. Schools on average are better and the kids are more well behaved.

10. More to do. Theres more variety in metro Detroit for activities, hiking won't kill you if you don't take 3 gallons with you, you can go swimming an a real natural lake, you can go sailing. Canada is nearby. The orchestra and theater in Detroit is superior.

if I was offered a job in Detroit today, I'd leave tomorrow. Alas my fiance wants to stay till the end of this school year and there is little to do for work.
Are you talking about living in the actual "City of Detroit"? Cuz if you are, you're WAY off base. If you're talking about some of the suburbs of Detroit, you might be somewhat accurate.

The actual City of Detroit is run by a corrupt hip hop mayor who seems to have a lot of trouble staying out of trouble. You might be able to afford a house in Detroit, but the taxes will kill you. And the house you get will most likely need tons of work and be sitting next to a couple of burnt out houses. Yes, there are a few areas such as the Edison District, Indian Village, Palmer Park, etc., but even these areas aren't all that desirable anymore. The Detroit Schools are just about as corrupt as the mayor. There is no "quality" education.

The bottom line is "Detroit" is not where you'd want to live. Any suburb north, west or east of Detroit would be good. Oakland County is probably the best county in southeast Michigan to live in. If you like cold and snow, Michigan is the place to be. You'll have that starting in October and lasting through April. Southeast Michigan is "green" from May through September. I'm not "bashing" Michigan, as I have lived here my whole life and there are a lot of beautiful areas here, but right now the economy sucks, there are no jobs, and people are leaving the state as quick as they can. I am fortunate enough to have a great job here, but I would move to AZ in a heartbeat because I truly love the desert and the hot, hot weather. My plan was to move to AZ in March 08, but since I can't sell my house, I guess I'll have to wait.

If the choice is "Detroit" versus "Phoenix", I'd definitely go with Phoenix.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 AM

2,767 posts, read 7,401,804 times
Stumblina makes an excellent point. Are we talking about a city-to-city comparison or a metro-area-to-metro-area comparison?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,199,967 times
DET or PHX? Somebody shoot me.

DET metro or PHX metro? Tough call. Id probably lean a bit more towards PHX's metro, ONLY because of family. Id choose DET metro for all other reasons, minus employment problems.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 AM

194 posts, read 324,781 times
I moved from Detroit to Phoenix 10 years ago and won't be going back anytime soon. I spent the first 4 or years in Phoenix missing "home", but now I really enjoy the desert and all it offers. If you want water and trees you will not like living here, period. If you don't like the Latin culture, you won't like it here either. When I go back to Detroit it feels like nothing has changed, if I left Phoenix for 2 years I probably wouldn't recognize some areas. I like that. I like being part of something that is growing and feel like there is a lot of opportunity here. Some people don't like growth and the all of the things, both good and bad, that it brings to an area. I get that, but if you're not growing, you're dying. Look at Detroit. Manufacturing is dead, the auto industry is near death, taxes are high, people can't sell their homes, unions are becoming less important, etc.. Weather aside, I don't see a comparison.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 PM

401 posts, read 2,600,459 times
Weather aside.....Detroit. Only if youre in the burbs though....it is so sad what has happened to a once-great city in Detroit. I really hope things can turn around up there (even though it is in Michigan). Anyways, Im definetly going with Phoenix. So much more oppurtunity and better quality of life if you ask me. Just my opinion

Old 01-06-2008, 02:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,040,157 times
Phoenix area hands down.........the '4 season' weather knocks Detroit out of the running if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area