Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 AM

397 posts, read 602,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Have him shower, etc. in different bathroom when he does that, if he hasn't figured that out for himself.

And Ponderosa is right, this isn't "Phoenix" design. Like so many things, it came across the river from California. Same builders, same houses.
That's just a pain. The other bathroom is the kids bathroom and I'm sure my DH would rather not step over the bath toys to take a shower.

In most of the country, people have doors between their bedroom and the bathroom in the master suite. When I saw my first house that was the first thing the realtor pointed out to me because every out of town client comments on how weird it is that there are no doors.

I'm stuck with it so we'll adapt to it but it's still weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:29 AM

52 posts, read 72,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I would normally agree, but in this case, I think it's kinda cool.

I agree with Iowa, I think these houses look to be incredibly well done.
Someone told my wife that one of Rafterhouse's "signature" design elements is the use of reclaimed doors from old farmhouses used as accent doors in their remodels. I think this pantry door in the picture is an example of this.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,305 times
BTW when it come to appeal it is better to be a little different and edgy. On the online dating services it makes a big difference if you are rated "average" but some people love and some hate you dearly rather than being rated "average" by everyone. So you should have something edgy in your picture like hairstyle etc. for example. Same is true for homes- there should be something edgy that some people love and some hate rather than being completely bland and appealing only to the "masses".

Old 01-14-2015, 12:00 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
That's just a pain. The other bathroom is the kids bathroom and I'm sure my DH would rather not step over the bath toys to take a shower.

In most of the country, people have doors between their bedroom and the bathroom in the master suite. When I saw my first house that was the first thing the realtor pointed out to me because every out of town client comments on how weird it is that there are no doors.

I'm stuck with it so we'll adapt to it but it's still weird.
We put up a curtain rod and curtains to get a little separation and block the light from the bathroom. Or you could try retro-fitting a door?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:10 PM

397 posts, read 602,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
We put up a curtain rod and curtains to get a little separation and block the light from the bathroom. Or you could try retro-fitting a door?
A door is probably more than we want to do right now but will try the curtains. But curtains won't block out the sound of someone getting ready in the morning.

Setting aside the privacy issue, it's just weird to have a bedroom have an opening to a bathroom. That's like a hotel room or something. I've never seen anything like that in the midwest.

But every region has its own little weird housing quirks.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
That's the perfect application for the barn door that people either love or hate.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 774 times
With the reasonable pricing now, people prefer to have a new and modern home than remodeling their house. It is always nice to stay in a new home with new neighborhood you like. We changes our lifestyle as we aged and looking for different type of neighborhood and recreation activities.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,434 times
In thinking about the new FNMA appraisal procedures going into effect and this valuation peculiarity regarding upgrades in the Phoenix area, I wonder if it's not just a temporary phenomenon as a result of the particular volatility in prices and massive availability of both new construction and distressed properties over the past several years.

It has to be difficult to keep a handle on comparable values for an appraiser (which is part of what the new system addresses, in addition to acting as a direct market control to prevent pricing run-ups in hot markets, which I am against but I understand where it comes from obvs...), with prices rising, falling precipitously, then having to appraise them as "distressed"--HOW to value properties during the deepest valley of the crash?!--then rising quite quickly with the huge influx of cash buyers/investors, unlike anywhere else except maybe Vegas, many of whom did not bother with appraisals further complicating the selection of comps. At that point you're using A LOT of sale prices that were never based on appraisals for comps as well as seeing the prices bounce back very quickly...Trying to keep up with overall values, upgrades have to become a minor concern at least temporarily, I would think. But I also thought there was a set formula appraisers used for adding value to higher-level finishes, maybe not so.

So maybe the squirrely prices when it comes to upgraded vs. not upgraded properties are still a result of some of the aftermath of the crash and hot rebound, lots of cash sales, and an attempt to just keep up with changing values as we move into the new normal...? Still, I think the new Fannie Mae rules will make low ROI on improvements more of an issue in other markets, not less of an issue in the PHX market.

Maybe it's all of that along with the acceptance of builder-level finishes as long as buyers feel like they are getting a lot of house for their money in the PHX area compared to wherever they're coming from, which most are, or an acceptance of it among local buyers because builder finishes are the norm....

Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Here's an interesting modern remodel that is asking a significant premium for the finishes. This should be fun to watch. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/27225464

Old 01-18-2015, 02:55 PM

52 posts, read 72,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Here's an interesting modern remodel that is asking a significant premium for the finishes. This should be fun to watch. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/27225464
Very cool place. I would have gone after this place if it was on the market 8 months ago. Like you said, it will be interesting watching what happens to it. I feel like justice will have returned to this world if it sells quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area