Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,297,527 times

Advertisements

I think youll be ok with that pay. I took nearly a 50% cut coming here, too, and have managed. It hasnt been easy, but just dont live excessively and you should be fine. You should be able to find a condo to rent in Scottsdale that wont strain your finances. Good luck on your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,203,378 times
You're not going to live large on that amount here but you can survive.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM

294 posts, read 475,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Will you be working the standard 40 hours/week or more?

Assuming 40 hours, that's $4160 per month or approx. $3000 after taxes/medical/etc are taken out. I would say you can find a very nice apartment for $800-$900 per month...add another $300 lets say for utilities/cable/internet so say $1200 for housing. Leaves you with $1800, or $450 per week for food, gas, misc. It may be tight but if it's just temporary until your girlfriend also finds a job, it could work out.
I make quite a bit less than that, live by myself in an apartment within that price range, and live quite comfortably (no major debt). That salary is more than enough for a very nice apartment in a nice area. No need to worry about things being "tight" or just "surviving" unless you're consistently making major purchases.

Eating out twice a week + groceries, ~100 for food maybe a bit more for a couple (and that's quite high). $25-30 every 9-10 days for gas at 27MPG driving 20-25 miles a day. $100-150 on entertainment/misc (also quite high). Still, that's saving $680 a month. Much, much better than most people your age.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 49,148 times
I would come out here with the $26 / hour pay and then look for a higher paying job, if possible.
I moved here from the north east, too. The weather is fantastic and cost of living is much cheaper. People, overall, are nicer and more polite too.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:33 PM

595 posts, read 1,253,816 times
I could make $26 an hr turn into homeownership and lots of crafting time for your lady to work part time, do craft fairs, or not at all. Hopefully, you will get raises and enjoy your time here. I'm sure you will get a truckload of responses as soon as your work area and commute needs are known.

Wish I knew what skills I have that could bump me up to your range!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 PM

296 posts, read 363,646 times
When we moved out here from the Midwest when my husband was transferred I left a really good paying job and we were living on one income. My husband makes less than what you will be making. We found a nice, two bedroom, two bath apartment for about $850 a month in Tempe with a washer and dryer in the apartment, pools, and a decent workout room. It is not a luxury complex but it isn't certainly isn't a slum. For that first year while I was finding a job we got by on his salary. We didn't lose money, but we didn't get ahead either. We do have one car payment of $300 a month beyond the basic rent, utilities, phone, internet, etc. I did a lot of bargain shopping and cooking and we got by. Being careful with our money we had extra for museum trips, movies, and going out to eat occasionally. It helped that we had money saved up "just in case". Part of it depends on how frugal you both can or want to be.

One of the great things for you is that Phoenix has been listed as one of the best hiking cities in America.

10 Best Hiking Spots in Phoenix

You may want to keep in mind what trails are available around where you are thinking about moving.

As to safety, I feel pretty safe in the Phoenix area. I'm sure there are some places that are not so great, but there are some wonderful safe areas as well. I found the crime map on Trulia very useful when we were relocating to this area.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,973,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You're not going to live large on that amount here but you can survive.
I agree with this.

But... I'm originally from NJ and have been in AZ two and a half years. That seems like too much of a pay cut to be equitable to me. Do you work in the City now? Are your job duties changing? That might make sense then, but otherwise I'd be concerned that I'd eventually resent the employer or regret the move losing that much, especially if you find yourself struggling financially.

Then again, if your motivation is to get to AZ and then find something that pays better, coming out here with a job in hand is certainly the right way to go.

Just my 2 cents...good luck with your decision!

Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,998,259 times
I make around that figure. maybe 4-5k more a year, am sole income gatherer for the family, have a wife, 2 kids, and bought a house in June near norterra. 3br 2.5 ba pool etc. for 185. Mortgage is 1080 so we just pay a straight 1100 per. No car payments, no credit card debt, and live just fine. Couldn't afford to go to the super bowl lol, but count myself fortunate compared to what life could be.
Its all perspective really. My needs and most of my wants are provided, my family eats healthy, clothed nice, kids enjoy their hobbies, wife stays at home. its a win win situation for me.

Obviously I wouldn't mind making more, but i don't find myself chasing money or that next dollar to surpass ~60k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area