Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Received our city of Goodyear info document in the mail the other day and mentioned this info on the 303/I10 interchange completion:

Overview

Getting close.
That comment about years from now caught my eye too. But he is right. The 303 is a good 20 years from being what it was proposed to be. North of Grand it is not really a freeway at all and the overpasses and interchanges are non-existent. Sections are what will be frontage road eventually. The southern portion to Yuma is a few years out and the extension from there to the south many years away. On the other hand, the connection to I-10 will be done by the end of the year and that is what is really the most critical for development along the southern corridor in Goodyear and Surprise.

I note from your link that they are going to go to work on the Grand-Happy Valley stretch now. I had been really looking forward to a straight, quick trip to Lake Pleasant. Looks like that is going to not happen now with this new section torn up and 25 mph traffic following belly-dumpers down the road and flaggers every 1/2 mile. After 3 years of delays, we could have used a break.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 07-29-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That comment about years from now caught my eye too. But he is right. The 303 is a good 20 years from being what it was proposed to be. North of Grand it is not really a freeway at all and the overpasses and interchanges are non-existent. Sections are what will be frontage road eventually. The southern portion to Yuma is a few years out and the extension from there to the south many years away. On the other hand, the connection to I-10 will be done by the end of the year and that is what is really the most critical for development along the southern corridor in Goodyear and Surprise.

I note from your link that they are going to go to work on the Grand-Happy Valley stretch now. I had been really looking forward to a straight, quick trip to Lake Pleasant. Looks like that is going to not happen now with this new section torn up and 25 mph traffic following belly-dumpers down the road and flaggers every 1/2 mile. After 3 years of delays, we could have used a break.
yep, certainly will be nice to get those other sections complete. Will also be nice to have Cotton Lane open to access 303 again without the detours.

I especially look forward to loop 303 connecting to I-8 but as you said, that's many years out to say the least. Would certainly be nice to take that route to get to San Diego and even Tucson.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
yep, certainly will be nice to get those other sections complete. Will also be nice to have Cotton Lane open to access 303 again without the detours.

I especially look forward to loop 303 connecting to I-8 but as you said, that's many years out to say the least. Would certainly be nice to take that route to get to San Diego and even Tucson.
They still have the signs saying "Closed until August 2014" on Cotton so maybe it is on schedule. Sure looks like a lot of work yet to be done though. I was disappointed to learn that there is no interchange at Cotton. You will have to go all the way to Thomas to get on the 303, or take Estrella if coming from "the Ranch". That's a couple miles out of the way, though. Many who live in Estrella don't realize that Estrella Prkway goes east for two miles before it hits Buckeye. So you have to go back the two miles to get on the 303 unless you go up Cotton - all the way up to Thomas. It's not too bad now, but with development it will be stop lights every 300 feet one day. A southern extension will be great.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They still have the signs saying "Closed until August 2014" on Cotton so maybe it is on schedule. Sure looks like a lot of work yet to be done though. I was disappointed to learn that there is no interchange at Cotton. You will have to go all the way to Thomas to get on the 303, or take Estrella if coming from "the Ranch". That's a couple miles out of the way, though. Many who live in Estrella don't realize that Estrella Prkway goes east for two miles before it hits Buckeye. So you have to go back the two miles to get on the 303 unless you go up Cotton - all the way up to Thomas. It's not too bad now, but with development it will be stop lights every 300 feet one day. A southern extension will be great.
I didn't know there wouldn't be an interchange at Cotton. That is disappointing.

Good point on Estrella Pkwy going east for a few miles. Never thought of that but I can see that clearly on a map.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM

24 posts, read 40,168 times
Construction

Road construction is based on the approved design. As the construction process advances, changes may occur that are influenced by a variety of factors. ADOT continually looks for ways to improve the construction process for maximum efficiency and minimal community impact.
  • Construction of Loop 303 between I-10 and Van Buren Street is anticipated to begin in 2016 and conclude in 2017, per the ADOT Five-Year Program.
  • Construction of Loop 303 between Van Buren Street and SR 30 is anticipated to begin in 2023 and conclude in 2024, per the Regional Transportation Plan. Is this what you guys are talking about, at least 303 will get you to Cotton and Van Buren in a couple of years, after that is another story.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmecso View Post
Construction

Road construction is based on the approved design. As the construction process advances, changes may occur that are influenced by a variety of factors. ADOT continually looks for ways to improve the construction process for maximum efficiency and minimal community impact.
  • Construction of Loop 303 between I-10 and Van Buren Street is anticipated to begin in 2016 and conclude in 2017, per the ADOT Five-Year Program.
  • Construction of Loop 303 between Van Buren Street and SR 30 is anticipated to begin in 2023 and conclude in 2024, per the Regional Transportation Plan. Is this what you guys are talking about, at least 303 will get you to Cotton and Van Buren in a couple of years, after that is another story.
I expect that area around where the two freeways come together to explode with commercial in the next few years. That has to be one of the best commercial sites in all of the Phoenix metro. You've got traffic and demographics working for you. With the development we are really going to need that little extension south of I10 to avoid having to use N. Cotton to get on the 303. I think Goodyear has plans to build out Cotton Lane south of there into a divided "parkway" as well (goodbye Elks Club). It's all coming together, but I am getting so old that I may never live to see it finished.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the information, just moved here from New Jersey and bought a house in Waddell, every little bit helps, have a good day!!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmecso View Post
Thanks for the information, just moved here from New Jersey and bought a house in Waddell, every little bit helps, have a good day!!
You are up the freeway a ways from I10. I don't know where Surprise starts and Goodyear ends, but it is a certainty that the 303 is going to have a huge impact on both cities. It is to the west valley what the Superstition freeway was to the east valley. Gov. Symington took the money earmarked for the 303 away years ago and gave it to the east valley for roads over there, but finally the highway is going to be a reality and this dog is going to have his day! Take that, Fife!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM

I can get to Goodyear in less then 15 minutes once the 303/I10 is finished, I like Goodyear better then Surprise, less traffic, and the stores aren't as crowded in my opinion. It takes me 10 minutes just to get on Bell Rd.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM

Took this from steve64k's link above:

On Saturday, Aug. 16 at 7:30 a.m., ADOT and the city of Goodyear will be holding a grand opening celebration for the Loop 303 corridor between I-10 in Goodyear and US 60 in Surprise. Come walk, bike and explore the new traffic interchange between Loop 303 and I-10 and celebrate the completion of this major freeway-to-freeway connection.

I vividly remember going to the grand opening of the deck park tunnel way back when. We walked the length of it and hung out drinking water and listening to the pols back slapping each other. The flyover on the interchange is probably worth going to just to walk it and have a look down from the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area