Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

We did the shuttle flight from Sky Harbor to GC Airport with a stop in Flagstaff. This was many years ago but it was a great trip in March (nice weather). We did the bus tour at the canyon and you learn a lot more from the bus tour driver than you will from just looking over the edge of the canyon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 AM

56 posts, read 59,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
It is very hot in Phoenix in August. Very hot.
I'm coming from Miami, FL. I know heat, lol.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woah_amie View Post
I'm coming from Miami, FL. I know heat, lol.
Oh good. You'll be fine. Bring a jacket, lol.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
We did the shuttle flight from Sky Harbor to GC Airport with a stop in Flagstaff. This was many years ago but it was a great trip in March (nice weather). We did the bus tour at the canyon and you learn a lot more from the bus tour driver than you will from just looking over the edge of the canyon.

True about the bus tours. Very entertaining (with the right driver) and educational.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:58 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
True about the bus tours. Very entertaining (with the right driver) and educational.
Agreed. When I went up 1/2014 by shuttle, I decided to do a couple of bus tours to get out to Desert View where the park's shuttles never go, and to Hermit's Rest since the park's red-line shuttle closes down in winter.

Both drivers obviously enjoyed their work and were very friendly, often funny and quite informative. I probably wouldn't have thought to take a bus tour if I'd driven up; as it turned out, the bus tours added a lot to the trip. Prices were very reasonable, too.

Last edited by cjs123; 02-06-2015 at 03:15 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 10:34 AM

391 posts, read 788,137 times
We went a few months ago and quite honestly I have no recollection of how long it took. To me the drive there is part of the "experience". Lots of different terrain to be seen.

We stayed in flagstaff overnight and came back the next day. Very easy drive and very enjoyable trip.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:56 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Shhhh !!! About to let the people who view this thread in on a secret. The best way to The Grand Canyon from Phoenix is to get off I 17 at Rte 69 at Cordes Lakes and then just before Prescott Valley, take the 4 lane highway that bypasses PV and Prescott and ends up at Rte 89 just south of Chino Valley. Rte 89 is a very peaceful and pretty level drive from CV to Ash Fork. One can cruise along between 70-74 (speed limit 65 north of Paulden) for the last 25 miles from Paulden to Ash Fork. Hop on I 40 east and get off at Rte 64 just east of Williams. BTW, just north of Paulden, you can still see the Sedona red rocks to the east on top of the hill north of Paulden. I 17 has unpredictable accidents and frustrating switchbacks plus having to floor the gas pedal from Camp Verde to Flagstaff as you are continually rising from 3000 to 7000 ft those final 50 miles. The Rte 69 and 89 route I suggested is pretty level between 5000 and 5500 feet from Mayer all the way to Ash Fork and far easier on the engine and no switchbacks. I swear by this route as I head up to my 2nd home in Valle this way. I suggest stopping in Valle at Flintstones Bedrock City for a decent reasonably priced lunch. Tusayan absolutely fleeces you. The McDonalds in Tusayan charges over $8 for a breakfast combo and the burger combos are even more. The whole town preys on unsuspecting tourists who are staying at the hotels knowing they are in the middle of nowhere and will gouge you.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I suggest stopping in Valle at Flintstones Bedrock City for a decent reasonably priced lunch. Tusayan absolutely fleeces you. The McDonalds in Tusayan charges over $8 for a breakfast combo and the burger combos are even more. The whole town preys on unsuspecting tourists who are staying at the hotels knowing they are in the middle of nowhere and will gouge you.

Yeah, we camped at GC Village and did our grocery shopping in Williams. A whole morning well spent if you're there more than a couple of days. Got souveneirs INSIDE the park and while they do have a grocery store, it's very limited. Prices weren't as bad as Tusayan though.

Watch for elk.

Oh yeah, stopped in Valle on the way up and on the way back.

Last edited by YAZ; 02-06-2015 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-06-2015, 08:34 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
Oh good. You'll be fine. Bring a jacket, lol.
Op's gonna need one on top of the South Rim, even in August. It gets relatively chilly at night up there, even though the weather down below is quite similar to ours here in Phoenix.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:59 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
Its 3 hrs 21 minutes from Sky Harbor to Grand Canyon according to Google map. The distance is 228 miles. The airfare from Phoenix to Flag is $243-$283. I don't think there are any flights from Phoenix to Grand Canyon. The only ones I think would be air tours over the Grand Canyon and then back. For about $300 you can ride a van roundtrip from Phoenix to GC and have a 25-30 minute helicopter ride over the GC.
I knew it was somewhere around three hours or so. I lived at Grand Canyon for a couple of years and did that drive numerous times. I've also flown from the Canyon to Phoenix. I believe it was Southwest airlines. You're probably right though that there are no scheduled flights into GC from Phx.. A few every day from Vegas though. It would be a breeze for them if coming from Vegas. There's also GC airlines from Vegas to GC. Those are the small ten seater tour planes. Did that trip quite often as well since I got to fly for free. Likewise on the helicopter tours. I liked living up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area