Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,175 times

Advertisements

YO GUYS!!!

Im moving to Arizona soonish! My work is located in Chandler. I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE WHAT SO EVER ABOUT PHOENIX, CHANDLER, OR ARIZONA IN GENERAL!!!

First and formost i want to know if chandler is the place to be living in? I am male from multi cultured background in early 20's (recent grad) i want an area thats hype, where its close to work in chandler but has markets, restaurants, bars, gyms, shopping, parks around, and safe, where it can waling distance but also not too far of a 10 min drive!

I want to be close to trails, and i know theres numerous hiking spots since the mountains are amazing there, but at least hiking where i dont have to drive 2 hours. I want a neighborhood thats safe with small families and young professionals living in. My max budget would be $800 rent per month. (But anything thats 700 and gives me great amenities and a pool would be sweet).

So please tell me if chandler hits my points above! I hear tempe and mase is good cause its close to ASU but i dont want crazy college kids drunk and roaming around my home, just something thats walking distance/close drive to a nice buzz neighborhood!

Also how much should i pay for an apt with great amenities, and not too old of a compound? Oh and most important i want it quiet but with a great scenery that can overlook the view of the mountains, and not somewhere too secluded in the dessert.

I am new to the area, and in need of meeting people especially young professionals like myself! PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO FEEL AT HOME THERE AND GET OUT OF THIS WINTER MISERY OF ILLINOIS!!!

THANK YOU ARIZONIANS AND GET ME OUT OF ILLINOIS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:19 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I've asked that your post be moved to the Phoenix area forum, where you will get more responses.

Chandler, particularly to the west end of Chandler, would be workable. If you like hiking and mountain views, going just across Interstate 10 from west Chandler into what's known as the "Ahwatukee" section of Phoenix would be a good fit. Right next to South Mountain Park, one of the (if not still the) largest municipal parks in terms of size) anywhere. The south part of Tempe works too, it's VERY different from the area around the university, and you can see the same mountains from there.

The Phoenix area is not as walkable as other places, but you can find lots of entertainment options within a short drive from any of those areas. Not "secluded" at all, but you should be able to find some nice complexes to choose from. Rent figures I'm not that familiar with, but others can help you with that.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I've asked that your post be moved to the Phoenix area forum, where you will get more responses.

Chandler, particularly to the west end of Chandler, would be workable. If you like hiking and mountain views, going just across Interstate 10 from west Chandler into what's known as the "Ahwatukee" section of Phoenix would be a good fit. Right next to South Mountain Park, one of the (if not still the) largest municipal parks in terms of size) anywhere. The south part of Tempe works too, it's VERY different from the area around the university, and you can see the same mountains from there.

The Phoenix area is not as walkable as other places, but you can find lots of entertainment options within a short drive from any of those areas. Not "secluded" at all, but you should be able to find some nice complexes to choose from. Rent figures I'm not that familiar with, but others can help you with that.
I agree.
Chandler is a VERY NICE suburb - clean, safe, prosperous, new - and not smack dab in the middle of a bunch of other suburbs (at least for now).

Ken

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Thread moved to the Phoenix area forum.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:00 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

I would second the West Chandler area, specifically around Ray Rd/101. Your desired rent is a little on the low side so you are going to have to look at the older apartments, but many have been remodeled and have pools, etc. This area would put you close to the 101 freeway, easy access to Scottsdale or South Chandler if you are working in the Price corridor. Would put you 1 mile North of Chandler Fashion Center (mall + power centers, bars, restaurants, etc) and about 5-6 miles from the South Mountain Park (hiking).

Old 02-06-2015, 10:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Chandler is nice but it's far from "hype". You want South Scottsdale if you can find a place within budget.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Chandler is nice but it's far from "hype". You want South Scottsdale if you can find a place within budget.
Only difference is South Scottsdale has clubs. Not a ton of people after college age go "clubbing" unless they are rappers. Chandler has many, many nice bars/sports bars/wine bars.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:15 AM

445 posts, read 515,611 times
DetroitN8V is right... South Scottsdale would be a good options for you in your price range and most apartment complexes all over the area have pools. Tempe would be another good option, although the only real walkable area in Tempe is near ASU and it sounds like you're not that interested in living in the middle of a bunch of college kids. Chandler is a really nice suburb, but it is very much a suburb and I wouldn't say the nightlife there is all that special. They have your usual restaurants and sports bars and things like that, but if you want clubs and an actual scene, Tempe or Old Town Scottsdale is probably where you'll want to hang out.

The other thing about Chandler is that it isn't very walkable at all. There are very few areas in the entire Phoenix area that are walkable, and most of the valley as a whole is very suburban and reliant upon cars as the primary transportation mode. I lived in Chicago most of my life, and the change in being able to walk for shopping and entertainment was one of the biggest adjustments of moving out here. You'll need to get used to taking a cab or an Uber if you're looking to get around without having to drive yourself everywhere.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Only difference is South Scottsdale has clubs. Not a ton of people after college age go "clubbing" unless they are rappers. Chandler has many, many nice bars/sports bars/wine bars.
I haven't been to a "club" in years and have found plenty to do in Old Town and the vicinity. There are way more sports bars and lounge-type places than there are dance clubs. The OP is in his 20s and is looking for "hype". Chandler is suburbia which doesn't jive with either.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I haven't been to a "club" in years and have found plenty to do in Old Town and the vicinity. There are way more sports bars and lounge-type places than there are dance clubs. The OP is in his 20s and is looking for "hype". Chandler is suburbia which doesn't jive with either.
Chandler (and surrounding area) actually has a lot of nightlife (you wouldn't know, but living here, I do), but not the clubs in South Scottsdale. South Scottsdale is also swarmed with ASU students which I read into the OP as he wanted to avoid. No sense adding 20 minutes to a commute unless you are into the club scene, if the OP is into that, then South Scottsdale is a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area