U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 08:11 PM

397 posts, read 513,080 times

Advertisements

Our house has a little built in cabinet in the hall. I'm thinking it's a Phoenix thing because I noticed similar cabinets in several of the houses I looked at. I assume it's for linens

We're going to change the floors and I assumed we'd get rid of the cabinet. But is that an expected thing in a Phoenix house? There is no other linen closet in the house.

It looks like some people cover them with granite countertops when they put in granite in their kitchens.

What do you think would be better for resale? Keeping it with a better countertop or get ride of it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:31 PM

7,949 posts, read 13,731,523 times
I don't think extra cabinets are more expected here than they would be anywhere else. Keep in mind that basements are uncommon here so added storage is always welcome. What will you put in their place?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:38 PM

397 posts, read 513,080 times
I would probably buy a small cabinet or bookcase for the space.

I just don't like the look of what is there right now.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:48 PM

17,824 posts, read 38,685,660 times
Storage is storage, in any part of the country. Some houses don't have much. Older houses have a whole linen closet. That said, I don't think the presence or absence of one small cabinet is going to affect resale that much.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:38 PM

324 posts, read 252,907 times
On mine it was 2 30 upper and 2 30 lowers with two drawers so it was substantial amount of storage we did put granite and mostly stored "trash" there and visitors keys and purses on top ,linen closet is usually in laundry rooms. but I would not take it out simply because I do think people look in same subdivision would know it's not there. Just like most of the garages had build in storage if it's not there people might look at it as a negative. Or need to figure out what to do with empty space ....but you are the one who has to look at it every day so I don't think that it's will make or brake sale of the house but you might get comments on that.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:23 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,570,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
Our house has a little built in cabinet in the hall. I'm thinking it's a Phoenix thing because I noticed similar cabinets in several of the houses I looked at. I assume it's for linens

We're going to change the floors and I assumed we'd get rid of the cabinet. But is that an expected thing in a Phoenix house? There is no other linen closet in the house.

It looks like some people cover them with granite countertops when they put in granite in their kitchens.

What do you think would be better for resale? Keeping it with a better countertop or get ride of it?
Oh my god... stop already. Every home feature is not a "Phoenix" thing. In Chicago, people have coat closets and I assume that they are for coats. I had one of those little cabinets in one hose, and used the cabinet for pool towels and linens, and I called it the scorpion closet (feel free to guess why).

Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 PM

755 posts, read 967,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Oh my god... stop already. Every home feature is not a "Phoenix" thing. In Chicago, people have coat closets and I assume that they are for coats. I had one of those little cabinets in one hose, and used the cabinet for pool towels and linens, and I called it the scorpion closet (feel free to guess why).
There are certainly home features that can be specific to a time period or locale. Since there was such a concentrated (time-wise) boom here in the Phoenix area, with some huge national builders on the scene each with their own, uh...vernacular?.... we have seen, from neighborhood to neighborhood, different features that we consider "Phoenix" features. Yes, they probably come originally from California, or so we've been told, repeatedly. The point of calling them "Phoenix" things is that we find them regularly here, where we haven't seen them elsewhere, typically, or at least not as often as we do here. At least that's all I mean by it when I say it, not to speak for the OP. No big If you're not from an area, you might wonder if others feel it's an important feature to keep. Seems like a reasonable question.

I don't read the OP as implying that you would ONLY EVER find the sort of cabinet she's describing in Phoenix, just that she saw them as a regular feature around Phx and was asking if buyers expect to find it and would miss it if it's removed.

I have seen those cabinets too. They aren't typical in our neighborhood, but we saw them during our home search and the reason I noticed, of course, was that I didn't like them. I'm not wild about built-ins, and I'm especially not fond of the drywall built-in shelves for t.v.s and stereo components (I guess) that hubby and I definitely think of as a "Phoenix thing" lol.

I think as long as you replace flooring so that it's consistent, and put in something that looks good and fits the space nicely, you're okay. It's when people remove the built in and put in something noticeably odd looking or leave a weird blank space that buyers go, "Wha?"

Doesn't seem like enough of an important feature to affect either appeal or value imo. Assuming your home appears to have a normal amount of storage, even if buyers noticed I really can't imagine it being that big of an objection. I really don't think any of these little builder features we see so often are dealbreakers for anyone. More often than not, for me, they are the thing that makes a house look more dated than need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area