Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 12:14 PM

347 posts, read 425,479 times

Advertisements

Hi CD,

I'm coming for a visit to Phoenix/Scottsdale this month.

Where are your favorite restaurants for sushi and Vietnamese?
Favorite place/bar/lounge for a glass of wine?
Favorite dive bar/neighborhood bar for burger & beer?
Favorite comedy club?
Theater companies?
Must-see attractions?

What areas would you suggest a single, 30 something, no children, no pets ought to consider living for around $1000/month rent?

What areas are straight up meth'd-out ghetto's to avoid?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:49 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Sushi - Squid Ink. The sushi itself is good (not the best, but perfectly fine), but it's a "hotspot" downtown, live DJ's, lots of dressed up singles, etc. For excellent tasting sushi, I haven't found one that really jumps out at me as being particularly awesome, but there are plenty that are perfectly fine.

Glass of wine/lounge - I like the District (mid-downtown); they usually have a DJ and it has a "hotel bar" atmosphere.

Comedy club - Stand Up Live downtown has the best acts, but tickets aren't very cheap and the 2 drink minimum just adds to it (plus, their drinks are crazy expensive). The club in Tempe is probably the best, though the name escapes me at the moment.

Theater companies - You're going to be looking at the Orpheum or the theater center on 3rd, both located downtown.

On your budget, the best option is downtown Phoenix. There's an argument for Scottsdale, but it's a little pricier out there. You can do it on 1000/month, but your place will be smaller.

You don't have to worry about "danger" too much with regard to areas, but east mesa isn't the greatest, nor is the barrio-type area in deep west phoenix (70-90's avenues). They're livable, you'll just be surrounded by shadier characters.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:05 PM

498 posts, read 543,424 times
My favorite Scottsdale local. The North tip of Scottsdale road just as it enters Cave Creek or heads west on the 74. The exit.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
I'm not into the hotspots as far as the bars and nightlife, not my cup of tea.

But must-see attractions are the zoos and aquariums, Wildlife World Zoo in the far west valley might be a little out of the way but it's worth the drive for a good zoo-aquarium experience.

Phoenix Zoo is good too but it seems less fun than Wildlife World.

Sealife Aquarium in Tempe is worth seeing too.

For safe places to live on your price I would recommend almost anywhere but Scottsdale, $1,000.00 per month won't go very far there.

Scottsdale is overpriced, there's a premium price for the Scottsdale address but you can find equally good places to live elsewhere in the valley and get more bang for your buck.

Up next, DetroitN8V with a rebuttal.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
You can absolutely get a place in Scottsdale, near all the dining, entertainment and shopping, for less than $1000/month. For many, there's more value in living in a good locale than a cheap, nondescript stucco box next to Applebee's and Walmart.

Avoid Avondale, Tolleson, Laveen, SW Phoenix and south Glendale and you'll greatly reduce your risk of running into tweakers.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:20 AM

555 posts, read 862,099 times
For comedy clubs, check out Standup Scottsdale in old town. Affordable, intimate, and hilarious.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:15 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
Best place for wine is Postino's, they have locations in Gilbert, Phoenix and Tempe!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 AM

347 posts, read 425,479 times
Grateful for all the responses! Thank you...making a list now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area