Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:02 AM

586 posts, read 540,975 times

Advertisements

I think you are stating this wrong. A Canadian selling a house in US dollars would be getting a 20% gain not a 20% hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
another part of the equation here in the valley are Canadian investors/buyers/sellers. The current rate is
USD/CAD = 0.80600.

This means that a Canadian would sell their house here in US dollars and take a 20% hit, or buy here and pay an addition 20% based on their currency valuation.

I have several Canadian friends here and a good percentage want to sell but refuse to take a 20% hit on the exchange rate.

Hopefully not a trend
National Association of Home Builders released a report on Tuesday showing an unexpected deterioration in U.S. homebuilder confidence in the month of February.The report said the NAHB/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index dropped to 55 in February from 57 in January. The decrease came as a surprise to economists, who had expected the index to inch up to a reading of 58.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:08 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Well, down here in Casa Grande the 55+ market still seems to be moving - though I cannot offer an comparisons from the past since I don't follow it that closely.

But Meritage homes is still building like crazy (relative to our city size) in the active adult community and D R Horton has been pretty steady on the single family front filling in some unfinished developments and is about to start on a new one that has 113 lots left. The "park model" business is pretty strong too in some of the newer mobile parks - although those are of course much smaller inexpensive houses, but they do bring in extra winter visitors.

CG issued about 250 SFR permits last year and expects to go over 300 this year - remember that is for a city of 50K full time residents - not too bad - adds about 500-1000 people a year.

But, like elsewhere I can attest that the resale market has been pretty flat both sales and price wise. Its not crashing or anything - but sales are just steady and prices are basically flat over the last few months. Good houses in good locations still go pretty quickly at a decent price - but anything "average" gets about that average price.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
I think you are stating this wrong. A Canadian selling a house in US dollars would be getting a 20% gain not a 20% hit.
But then they complain about the taxes on the gains You just can't win with some people.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 AM

498 posts, read 543,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
another part of the equation here in the valley are Canadian investors/buyers/sellers. The current rate is
USD/CAD = 0.80600.

This means that a Canadian would sell their house here in US dollars and take a 20% hit, or buy here and pay an addition 20% based on their currency valuation.

I have several Canadian friends here and a good percentage want to sell but refuse to take a 20% hit on the exchange rate.

You got that bass ackwards. A Canadian selling their house would get about a 22% gain while trying to buy one would actually cost him 1.25 for each buck...that's why they ain't buying anymore. In 2011 Canadians got about 1.05 US for each CDN buck and the prices were 50 to 80% less.

Lot's of Canadians willing to sell but the market is too slow.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
But then they complain about the taxes on the gains You just can't win with some people.

Oh and you willingly hand over your money to the government?

Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Well, down here in Casa Grande the 55+ market still seems to be moving - though I cannot offer an comparisons from the past since I don't follow it that closely.

But Meritage homes is still building like crazy (relative to our city size) in the active adult community and D R Horton has been pretty steady on the single family front filling in some unfinished developments and is about to start on a new one that has 113 lots left. The "park model" business is pretty strong too in some of the newer mobile parks - although those are of course much smaller inexpensive houses, but they do bring in extra winter visitors.

CG issued about 250 SFR permits last year and expects to go over 300 this year - remember that is for a city of 50K full time residents - not too bad - adds about 500-1000 people a year.

But, like elsewhere I can attest that the resale market has been pretty flat both sales and price wise. Its not crashing or anything - but sales are just steady and prices are basically flat over the last few months. Good houses in good locations still go pretty quickly at a decent price - but anything "average" gets about that average price.
Thanks for your thoughts from CG.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:26 AM

I'm not saying prices should or will explode like in the heydays of the housing boom or our recovery from the abysmal lows of the crash. But 5-10% growth this year I think are very reasonable.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:38 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Oh and you willingly hand over your money to the government?
Personally I have no problems with handing over money for taxes if I'm making $$$.

I never understood people who complain about "I paid sooo much in taxes this year". Um, that means you must have made a bunch of money, otherwise you wouldn't be paying that much. Want to not pay so many taxes? Make less money...which would you rather do?

Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Personally I have no problems with handing over money for taxes if I'm making $$$.

I never understood people who complain about "I paid sooo much in taxes this year". Um, that means you must have made a bunch of money, otherwise you wouldn't be paying that much. Want to not pay so many taxes? Make less money...which would you rather do?
Depends where you live, Taxes vary from country to country
Somebody who paid 100 000 for a house 4 years ago might get 200 000 for it now less fees and capital gains tax which could easily hit 40 or 50% in Canada. Renting it out for a long time can be a better option.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkie 098 View Post
Housing in America is way, way overpriced today. We have many Americans who are forced to go on Food Stamps and other Goverment programs due to overpriced Rents and Housing.
Cut the home prices and rents in half and we will not need so many Americans on Food Stamps.

Overpriced Housing is killing our economy as well since most earnings are allocated towards the rents and mortgage payments.
Rent and home prices are a free market, no one is going to come in and "cut" the prices. Guess what would happen if rent and home prices were cut in half? People would be buying houses double the size they are now. Too many people lack an understanding of basic economics. Part of the problem is people buying houses for what the bank will approve them for. People need to sit down and look at their own finances, and plan for the future. Live somewhere you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area