Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,219 times

Advertisements

The water issue is a hot button topic that has been covered ad nauseam on this forum, so I'm not going down that road and derailing the thread. The bottom line is that there were a lot of questionable points brought up in the OP that I think misrepresent/downplay some of the real negatives of the PHX area. I wish more people on here could simply accept that PHX has some pretty serious flaws, just like everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:16 PM

594 posts, read 698,839 times
We can't afford California....ok sir. I will never bash California, it is the golden state. And you know the I don't bash California or any other state ? Because I live in Arizona. When you live in paradise nothing else matters !

Old 04-01-2016, 08:37 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
The water issue is a hot button topic that has been covered ad nauseam on this forum, so I'm not going down that road and derailing the thread. The bottom line is that there were a lot of questionable points brought up in the OP that I think misrepresent/downplay some of the real negatives of the PHX area. I wish more people on here could simply accept that PHX has some pretty serious flaws, just like everywhere else.
I'll be the first to admit it has flaws but I believe the water argument is overrated. Our water storage capacity and critical use needs are well balanced. I don't care if lawns and golf courses need to go away and neither does most of population here and that is literally the #1 residential use and potential impact of water constraints. i actually can't wait for water prices to reflect its true value is the sheer waste drives me crazy. But we'll see if and when the day ever comes.

I think a bigger flaw of Phoenix is our lack of infrastructure investment which has a strong chance of catching up with us in the not too distant future. The days of "everything is new in Phoenix" are long gone now, time to start planning freeway improvements, more cycling options, public transit, etc...

Another flaw I regularly point out, the economy. We're still too dependent on home building and adding people, we should be really focused on adding high wage STEM jobs, more technology, biotech, and so on. I see some of this happening but would like to see Phoenix compete better for jobs leaving CA. Tesla and Toyota come to mind recently.

Education is a big one as well, we aren't doing a good job education our youth nor are we doing enough to make sure the ones who do go to college have good job options here to help repay our investment in their educations at UA, ASU etc...

I'll agree we have lots of flaws but the heat and beige colors are not on my lists. Our weather is just fine, like all places a few months are brutal and a good chunk is really nice. Our nice weather actually lasts much longer than he average US city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area