Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:09 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
pretty sure your solar setup was subsidized at a pretty healthy rate by those other non-solar ratepayers. Non-solar customers directly contributed to the slush-fund used to provide your "rebates". And you're still hooked to the grid. It still needs to be maintained. Best of luck to ya going completely off-grid for less than $50 /mo.
What "rebates"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
What "rebates"?
Solar rebate program proves too popular for APS - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

For several years, rebates on the order of $3 per watt were gifted to solar customers - in addition to no sales tax, state & federal tax credits.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
If you have a solar system big enough to cover your usage while the sun is up, then during the day, even though it's on-peak, it may not be much concern. And it's not a concern while off-peak. The time it will be a concern is in the early evening when the solar isn't producing but it's still on-peak (like between 5pm - 7pm). If you can limit your use between those times, then it may be possible to beat them at their own game.

Thinking about it now, the SRP model is actually a lot better for solar customers than what APS wanted to do. With APS, the bigger the system, the more they would charge the customer. How does that makes sense? The bigger the system, the less you rely on the grid.
In a way SRP's plan is justified by the nature of solar peak production vs. peak demand in he grid. There is a gap in the late afternoon when solar production falls faster than demand. So utilities have to essentially produce more than required throughout the day as they cannot regulate power production fast enough and exact enough. Once storage becomes cheap enough this is no longer a problem, of course. Until then we have a problem, Houston. I see the same in Germany or California and the problem becomes exponentially bigger the more solar production you have in the grid. So no wonder the utilities want to curb it- and to some degree they have a point under the current technological constraints. Under the current circumstances I am in favor of delaying solar expansion until the storage constraints are resolved. With domestic nat gas and uranium supply guaranteed for centuries and at low cost we are not in a hurry for massively rising power prices. Let the storage prices come down in the next 10 years and then we can have cheap and efficient solar - storage solutions available and completely change our power supply situation for the better. Or we have a cold fusion breakthrough making it even cheaper. Anyhow, that's how I see it right now.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Solar rebate program proves too popular for APS - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

For several years, rebates on the order of $3 per watt were gifted to solar customers - in addition to no sales tax, state & federal tax credits.
Maybe at one time, but that's been long gone...and those people who got those rebates are the ones that are actually being grandfathered in for 20 years so they are shielded from all these new fees. Its the newer solar owners, who did not get any rebates, who are now going to be seeing all these new fees. I'm hoping I'm going to be grandfathered in to whatever the rate structure is now with APS because I probably would not have gone solar if my bill reduction was only $120/month vs $215/month.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:25 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I really don't get the extra charges for solar. Part of the point is to save money (the other part is that it's just smart in a place like the desert, regardless of price). Yet, you get charged more? I don't get it. Doesn't excess generation get fed back into the grid until viable power storage solutions for the home becomes reality? WTH? I've read about the reasons for various fees and charges to solar customers by the power companies, but it smells like enormous piles of BS to me.
I agree that's total BS. They used to offer incentives and from what I have been told by friends with solar panels, they buy back extra electricity from consumers with Solar and everyone ends up benefiting (I'm not totally sure exactly how that works).

This seems entirely counterproductive to the who point of getting them installed.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:48 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I agree that's total BS. They used to offer incentives and from what I have been told by friends with solar panels, they buy back extra electricity from consumers with Solar and everyone ends up benefiting (I'm not totally sure exactly how that works).

This seems entirely counterproductive to the who point of getting them installed.

The issue is that the utility companies are generally buying back the power at a rate higher than wholesale rate. SRP was refunding at a rate equivalent to its off-peak rate, still higher than the wholesale right it buys power for, so they were paying more for power produced from solar than other forms, I can understand why there would be a need for some form of cost recovery structure but $50 is just flat-out gauging people. I could understand a fee of $15-20 but essentially they have made an exception solely for people with solar to pay demand charges when in reality, everyone should be paying them since everyone is using the grid.

In anycase, the traditional utility companies are essentially on a ticking clock, as battery technology and efficiency improves, it will become more and more viable to simply disconnect from the grid entirely, much in the fashion with how many have cut the cord with traditional phone companies and are now strictly using cellphones.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
The issue is that the utility companies are generally buying back the power at a rate higher than wholesale rate. SRP was refunding at a rate equivalent to its off-peak rate, still higher than the wholesale right it buys power for, so they were paying more for power produced from solar than other forms, I can understand why there would be a need for some form of cost recovery structure but $50 is just flat-out gauging people. I could understand a fee of $15-20 but essentially they have made an exception solely for people with solar to pay demand charges when in reality, everyone should be paying them since everyone is using the grid.

In anycase, the traditional utility companies are essentially on a ticking clock, as battery technology and efficiency improves, it will become more and more viable to simply disconnect from the grid entirely, much in the fashion with how many have cut the cord with traditional phone companies and are now strictly using cellphones.
Well that makes sense. However and that case they need to reform what they pay in buyback/rebate instead of this flat $50 a month charge on customers. Being charged for having solar is a spit in the face. It's all about approach here and they are totally doing it wrong.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:50 PM

Also,

WE all pay services charges anyway + you know they are getting a mark up on per KW you use. Here's my bill, with their $17 charge. There's that fair fee of $15-20 accounted for and I don't have solar even .

Old 03-02-2015, 05:51 PM

I have hit rotate so many times and it still wants to be sideways..........

Old 03-02-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Buying back the power from who? The home solar customers? Maybe that was true long ago, but not at all the case today. Not sure what SRPs buyback rate is, but APS pays out 2.9¢/kWh yet sell it for 9.4¢ on the Standard plan in the winter and as high as 17¢ in the summer. Time of Use is around 6¢ off peak and 19¢ on-peak. So again they are giving diddly squat when they are buying it back.

That is why just about every solar customer isn't even on the net-billing plan, but rather on the net-metering plan, where you "rollover" unused kWh that were overproduced in the previous month to use in the summer months when you need more than you produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area