Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:08 PM

39,007 posts, read 51,017,655 times

Advertisements

Bill Montgomery (country attorney) says the 3 million dollars of taxpayer money spent defending Arias from his office is proof that you don't have to be rich and powerful to have a competent defense. Maybe not, but if you are rich and influential and your daddy is a US senator, you don't have to face trial at all in Montgomery's office, judging from the dismissal in the dog killing case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,244,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Listening to jury interview, she was lucky indeed. It was 11-1 for the chair. The jurors sound like a bloodthirsty, unsympathetic bunch that were out to avenge the guy for his family. The prosecutor did a good job of picking his jurors - except for the one of course.
No, they answered the question if they COULD give the death penalty (which is required to be on that jury). If they don't see any quality that prevents them from giving the death penalty, that is what the decision should have been. The other person that apparently COULD NOT, should not have been on the jury. Hopefully one of her breasts explode at Perryville and she dies from that so we are spared paying for this ferrets meals forever.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,277,462 times
Quote:
Bill Montgomery (country attorney) says the 3 million dollars of taxpayer money spent defending Arias from his office is proof that you don't have to be rich and powerful to have a competent defense. Maybe not, but if you are rich and influential and your daddy is a US senator, you don't have to face trial at all in Montgomery's office, judging from the dismissal in the dog killing case.

Well, if you meet indigency standards, yes, the taxpayers will pay for your defense, often a good one. If you are wealthy, also no problem. If you are somewhere in between, you are out of luck, as you will not be able to afford the defense she got for free.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
No, they answered the question if they COULD give the death penalty (which is required to be on that jury). If they don't see any quality that prevents them from giving the death penalty, that is what the decision should have been. The other person that apparently COULD NOT, should not have been on the jury. Hopefully one of her breasts explode at Perryville and she dies from that so we are spared paying for this ferrets meals forever.
Now that there is just a little weird.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,244,070 times
Quote:
Now that there is just a little weird.
I was actually hoping big bertha shanks her on the bathroom floor but I wanted to tone down the violence

Old 03-05-2015, 01:44 PM

824 posts, read 2,331,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Arias is going to spend her life in prison because one person decided to spare her life. The final vote was 11-1 in favor of putting Arias to death.

As someone opposed to the death penalty, I am glad that someone stuck to their guns in an atmosphere with so much pressure. It's obvious his/her decision was not popular among the other jurors given some quotes that are out there and with the popularity of this trial there is likely a reporter somewhere who will out him/her and they probably knew it.

Thankfully this circus is over. The national media spotlight will die down. It's amazing how much a pretty face and nude photos can set the national media aflame. Nancy Grace will now have to find someone else to exploit.

I am not opposed to the death penalty as a general principle, but I am pleased to know that there exist individuals who will stick to their guns under great pressure in the Maricopa County jury pool. I found the whole process of re-litigating the death penalty phase to be (more than) a bit unseemly.

Putting aside the tax dollars issue, we have generally evolved to the point that we reserve the death penalty for the worst of the worst homicides. The multiple homicide cases and the sexual assault/torture-type cases would be good examples. But a first-time arrestee in a chaotic relationship kills her lover? Perhaps in 1915, but that is not really the type of case we generally reserve for the death penalty in the modern era.

I don't really think that the holdout juror will be involuntarily "outed" by a reporter. If that did occur, said reporter should be ridden out out of town on a rail.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I am not opposed to the death penalty as a general principle, but I am pleased to know that there exist individuals who will stick to their guns under great pressure in the Maricopa County jury pool. I found the whole process of re-litigating the death penalty phase to be (more than) a bit unseemly.

Putting aside the tax dollars issue, we have generally evolved to the point that we reserve the death penalty for the worst of the worst homicides. The multiple homicide cases and the sexual assault/torture-type cases would be good examples. But a first-time arrestee in a chaotic relationship kills her lover? Perhaps in 1915, but that is not really the type of case we generally reserve for the death penalty in the modern era.

I don't really think that the holdout juror will be involuntarily "outed" by a reporter. If that did occur, said reporter should be ridden out out of town on a rail.
I don't know if a reporter outed her, but someone did. Her name, phone, and address were all posted online and the cops were sent to guard her house after she received numerous threats.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:36 AM

975 posts, read 1,398,582 times
Quote:
From the moment that they announced that the dog killer was Flake's son, I knew that there would be no "justice" in that situation. Flake (once McCain retires) will be the most powerful and influential Arizona politician. Unfortunately, that makes his offspring untouchable from others in the Republican party (Arpaio and Montgomery namely).

Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
From the moment that they announced that the dog killer was Flake's son, I knew that there would be no "justice" in that situation. Flake (once McCain retires) will be the most powerful and influential Arizona politician. Unfortunately, that makes his offspring untouchable from others in the Republican party (Arpaio and Montgomery namely).
I'll give it to Arpaio for actually investigating it and coming up with charges. But Montgomery quickly buried them and now the Flakes are suing us for millions. Things here can be just unbelievable at times.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,628,123 times
Quote:
Listening to jury interview, she was lucky indeed. It was 11-1 for the chair. The jurors sound like a bloodthirsty, unsympathetic bunch that were out to avenge the guy for his family. The prosecutor did a good job of picking his jurors - except for the one of course.
Based on my last stint at jury duty, I'm actually quite amazed anyone made it on the jury who wasn't totally in the prosecutor's pocket. I was also kinda pissed that the jurors were trying to enforce their will on the holdout, to the point of trying to kick them off the jury. If a juror has doubts, that's a part of the process - a *good* and necessary part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area